Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

School is likely turning into an Academy before my A-Levels... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So, I am currently in Year 11 and have just got a letter saying that consultation is beginning to turn my school into an Academy. It will likely change in about 6-7 months time, which gives me enough time to drop out after my GCSE's and go somewhere else for A-Levels.
    The school that I am currently in is very good (we are changing because of the funding that the school will get), yet I am afraid that all of the teachers will leave (because they are no longer employed by the council, or due to poor management), which is what happened with two schools close to me, meaning that sub-standard teachers will be employed.
    What are the positives and negatives to Academies? Also, should I look elsewhere to do my A-Levels (I just got 12 A*'s in my Mocks for GCSE, so I can probably cope with learning most of the content myself, but to do Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths with a bad teacher might be too much)?

Thanks, and please tell me if I am being paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whyamiworking)
    Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths with a bad teacher might be too much)?
    no
    you'll be fine if you got 12 A*s at gcse to do those. I cant speak for chemistry because I dont do that but a level physics is basically more or less the same thing as gcse physics in terms of content and difficulty; and for maths you get 4 modules for free practically having done a gcse in maths (M1, S1, C1 and C2 are pretty much GCSE); it isnt really much of a "big step up" no matter what people tell you; the difficulty is about the same, just you need to learn a few new things like calculus shiz. The rest of the pure and mechanics modules you can also do very well in without doing a lot of work since there is a lot of overlap with mechanics and physics, and a lot of the pure questions like group theory in fp3 you can solve using common sense once you learn a few terminologies and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imsoanonymous123)
    no
    you'll be fine if you got 12 A*s at gcse to do those. I cant speak for chemistry because I dont do that but a level physics is basically more or less the same thing as gcse physics in terms of content and difficulty; and for maths you get 4 modules for free practically having done a gcse in maths (M1, S1, C1 and C2 are pretty much GCSE); it isnt really much of a "big step up" no matter what people tell you; the difficulty is about the same, just you need to learn a few new things like calculus shiz. The rest of the pure and mechanics modules you can also do very well in without doing a lot of work since there is a lot of overlap with mechanics and physics, and a lot of the pure questions like group theory in fp3 you can solve using common sense once you learn a few terminologies and stuff.
    Okay, thanks man. Appreciate it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.