How should I revise for GCSE Poetry ? Watch

LPLunaticFringe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello.

In class, I will be having an exam question based on the poem that we have covered so far ( Sister Maude, The Farmer's Bride, To His Coy Mistress, Hour, Quickdraw, Brothers and In Paris with You ).
My problem is that I do not know how to revise for this. So far, I have made a mind map for each of the 7 poems, with each mind map covering things like the Summary, Themes, Links to different poems, Feelings and Key Quotes, however, I do not know what to do now.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks !

JenniMusic
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Context! Don't forget to link everything to the effect on the reader

Good luck! (I'm doing another section of the anthology at the moment)
dontargue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LPLunaticFringe)
Hello.

In class, I will be having an exam question based on the poem that we have covered so far ( Sister Maude, The Farmer's Bride, To His Coy Mistress, Hour, Quickdraw, Brothers and In Paris with You ).
My problem is that I do not know how to revise for this. So far, I have made a mind map for each of the 7 poems, with each mind map covering things like the Summary, Themes, Links to different poems, Feelings and Key Quotes, however, I do not know what to do now.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks !
I'm an examiner in that subject. 3 key rules: (1) Answer the question (2) Use the texts (3) Don't tell the story. Find the 'Past papers' section of the exam board's website, and do some practice questions. For example - 'Choose two poems which display differing ideas about Love, and show how the poets make their feelings clear.' - 'Hour' and 'THCM' would be good ones for this. 25% of the battle is choosing the right poems. Don't get bogged down in summaries - no examiner wants a summary, they want a direct answer to the question. Plunge right in, no waffle, plenty of textual references, plenty of context (time of poem's composition vs modern day).
LPLunaticFringe
Rep:
?
(Original post by dontargue)
I'm an examiner in that subject. 3 key rules: (1) Answer the question (2) Use the texts (3) Don't tell the story. Find the 'Past papers' section of the exam board's website, and do some practice questions. For example - 'Choose two poems which display differing ideas about Love, and show how the poets make their feelings clear.' - 'Hour' and 'THCM' would be good ones for this. 25% of the battle is choosing the right poems. Don't get bogged down in summaries - no examiner wants a summary, they want a direct answer to the question. Plunge right in, no waffle, plenty of textual references, plenty of context (time of poem's composition vs modern day).
So wold You say that using MITSL ( Meaning, Imagery, Tone, Structure and Language ) is an effective way of learning the poems ? Or do I not need all of that and purely focus on the textual reference and the context?
dontargue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LPLunaticFringe)
So wold You say that using MITSL ( Meaning, Imagery, Tone, Structure and Language ) is an effective way of learning the poems ? Or do I not need all of that and purely focus on the textual reference and the context?
Examiners tend to see things like MITSL as formulaic. Go for the terms of the question first, then talk about each poem in terms of (1) What is said (2) How it is said. The most effective way of learning the poems is to really know them intimately as poems rather than trying to fit them into a scheme.
LPLunaticFringe
Rep:
?
(Original post by dontargue)
Examiners tend to see things like MITSL as formulaic. Go for the terms of the question first, then talk about each poem in terms of (1) What is said (2) How it is said. The most effective way of learning the poems is to really know them intimately as poems rather than trying to fit them into a scheme.
Could you please elaborate on what you mean by the terms of the question ? Do you mean what the question is asking, for example, family relationships in Sister Maude and one other poem ( I would probably go for Brothers ) and also, by " (1) What is said (2) How it is said " , do you mean something like finding a good quote that fits the question and then inferencing it while trying to make a link to the question ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (54)
24.32%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.51%