Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hard Determinism Vs Free Will Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    free
    friː/
    adjective
    able to act or be done as one wishes; not under the control of another.

You are therefore not free because you cannot do as you wish.That is simply an illusion. Your choices are determined, you only think they're free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But I very often do precisely what I wish. I wanted to make this post, and here I am making this post! The fact that my choices are determined doesn't mean they don't reflect what I want.

So according to the definition of 'free' that you gave, I do indeed have free will. My choices are not under the control of any other individual, and correspond to my wishes.

The point I'm trying to make is that definitions are arbitrary, and according to some definitions of 'free' (like the one that you posted), we do in fact have 'free will'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    I would still argue that you are under the control of others, as their decisions control the outcome of the only decision you make. Just because you want to do it, that doesn't mean you are free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like I said, it depends how you define freedom

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.