Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

French Speaking Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently writing my French speaking CA and I really need a high mark on this to get a good grade overall - I'm not the best at French! :/
    The CA is on your home, your dream/future home, what you do around the house to help and environment. Are there any tips to get an A*? Or any good phrases?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IttsmeAA)
    I'm currently writing my French speaking CA and I really need a high mark on this to get a good grade overall - I'm not the best at French! :/
    The CA is on your home, your dream/future home, what you do around the house to help and environment. Are there any tips to get an A*? Or any good phrases?
    Thanks in advance!
    I answered a similar question on another thread, so I'll just post that:

(Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    When doing the writing, I think some of the key things to remember are to include multiple tenses (possibly even the subjunctive mood) as well as making sure to use connectives so that your writing flows. You could also try including other viewpoints and idioms to make your writing more interesting.I can't really list all of the A/A* structures I learnt off by heart, but here are some that I remember:Être en train de + infinitive (to be in the process of... )Après avoir/être + past participle (after having + verb)Using 'y' ('J'y suis allée' means 'I went there' )Reflexive verbsCe qui est adjective, c'est que la plage est tres bon pour la sante, particulierement quand on doit faire plus de choses. Quand j'etais plus jeune, je n'aimais pas que lesNot sure what exam board you have, but if you are allowed a dictionary, use it sparingly, maybe mainly just to check genders of nouns or spellings of words. Plus, make sure that you have time at the end to check all of your work for grammar and spelling mistakes - not being accurate with the language can lose you a lot of marks.
    I know that some parts do not relate to your CA, but I'm still hoping that some bits are helpful. For your coursework, I'd say that as long as you address each of these points (probably divide these into paragraphs), while including a range of topic specific vocab (and finding synonyms for high frequency words like 'interessant' and 'bien' ), you should be fine.

When writing about your home, for example, make sure to mention the main rooms as well as maybe describing your bedroom and saying what you would have done to your bedroom if you had more money maybe. You could also talk about others who live at your home, writing about what they think of the home. Perhaps introduce the past tense by writing about where you used to live (you can make this bit up if you need to), and how it's different from now. Even while writing about all of this, remember to bring in more complex structures like I mentioned in my earlier post, but make sure that it fits in with the rest of what you're writing.

If you do something like this for each paragraph, you should hopefully get a high mark.

Please do remember to check thoroughly through what you've written for any mistakes - you want your writing to flow and be as accurate as possible.

Hope this helped.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi, to get the highest mark possible or in other words a Grade A/A* ensure that you cover all the content and use different tenses, intensifiers, justifications, opinions, 3rd person, complex phrases etc.

ReputationRep:
    I answered a similar question on another thread, so I'll just post that:

I know that some parts do not relate to your CA, but I'm still hoping that some bits are helpful. For your coursework, I'd say that as long as you address each of these points (probably divide these into paragraphs), while including a range of topic specific vocab (and finding synonyms for high frequency words like 'interessant' and 'bien' ), you should be fine.

When writing about your home, for example, make sure to mention the main rooms as well as maybe describing your bedroom and saying what you would have done to your bedroom if you had more money maybe. You could also talk about others who live at your home, writing about what they think of the home. Perhaps introduce the past tense by writing about where you used to live (you can make this bit up if you need to), and how it's different from now. Even while writing about all of this, remember to bring in more complex structures like I mentioned in my earlier post, but make sure that it fits in with the rest of what you're writing.

If you do something like this for each paragraph, you should hopefully get a high mark.

Please do remember to check thoroughly through what you've written for any mistakes - you want your writing to flow and be as accurate as possible.

Hope this helped.
    Wow! Thankyou! I'll try and do these things! I need to become more adventurous with my vocab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Hi, to get the highest mark possible or in other words a Grade A/A* ensure that you cover all the content and use different tenses, intensifiers, justifications, opinions, 3rd person, complex phrases etc.
    Thankyou! What are intensifiers?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! What are intensifiers?
    e.g vraiment difficile meaning very hard is an intensifier

ReputationRep:
    e.g vraiment difficile meaning very hard is an intensifier
    Ohhh okay thankyou!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh okay thankyou!
    I'll give you the full checklist once I have my French book tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh okay thankyou!
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...ue_5_PRINT.pdf

If you look from page 53 of the specification, you'll find all of the grammar structures you're expected to know.
    The higher tier stuff from page 55 will probably be of more use to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you the full checklist once I have my French book tomorrow.
    Thankyou! :')

ReputationRep:
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...ue_5_PRINT.pdf

If you look from page 53 of the specification, you'll find all of the grammar structures you're expected to know.
    The higher tier stuff from page 55 will probably be of more use to you.
    Thanks! I'll check it out now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.