The Student Room Group

Headteacher mocked for claiming evolution is not a fact

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/03/headteacher-mocked-twitter-claim-evolution-not-fact

The awkward moment your students are more intelligent than the teacher.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should be fired.
Reply 2
I would hope that the fact she is a headteacher means she doesn't actually teach anyone.
Original post by Nadile
I would hope that the fact she is a headteacher means she doesn't actually teach anyone.

She would have in the past.
Reply 4
I believe that this confusion amongst some people is due to a difference in the definition of "theory" between the scientific community and general public; one means essentially fact, the other means hypothesis. This leads some particularly ignorant people to believe that "theory of evolution" has not already been proven beyond all reasonable doubt, and is instead just a widely-held opinion. They of course are one of the chosen few that can see past all the lies. :rolleyes:
Worrying, isn't it...
Cringe. At first I thought it might just be poor scientific understanding. But then she went on to say the bible is "more true" :facepalm:

However. As long as she the school teachers the national curriculum and science teachers actually understand evolution then it is not really a problem. I'm probably very ignorant of a lot of history for example and could say something stupid. I also could not teach English classes. But I probbaly could teach science. But that's ok, we are not meant to know everything.

In fact she has provided a good lesson for the children. Just being in a position of authority does not make someone correct!
Scientifically illiterate given she doesn't understand what theory means, but given that she can't set the curriculum and presumably doesn't actually teach (and is highly unlikely to be a science teacher before that), it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup.
Wait I change my mind. It's a bloody religious school. Such ignorance will leak out to the students. Even if the biology teachers teach evolution.

“It’s a Church of England school and it will, of course, teach the Bible. But it should also teach the children about other religions and beliefs.

“The national curriculum requires a more broad-based perception of evolution and a balance of opinions has to be struck so pupils can make up their own minds.” ~ some labour MP

NO. It categorically is not a balance of opinion at all. It is as factual as you can get. Evolution is hard biology. This isn't like history where students are asked to way up different sides of argument over say the Paris Commune. There is no debate to be had! It is like saying we must accommodate the views of flat earthers in geography class for "balance". NO we bloody well don't. Their arguments are crap.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Scientifically illiterate given she doesn't understand what theory means, but given that she can't set the curriculum and presumably doesn't actually teach (and is highly unlikely to be a science teacher before that), it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup.

If anything, it just shows we all need to be a bit careful about what we say on the online social media.

But yeah, it's completely overblown.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Wait I change my mind. It's a bloody religious school. Such ignorance will leak out to the students. Even if the biology teachers teach evolution.

“It’s a Church of England school and it will, of course, teach the Bible. But it should also teach the children about other religions and beliefs.

“The national curriculum requires a more broad-based perception of evolution and a balance of opinions has to be struck so pupils can make up their own minds.” ~ some labour MP

NO. It categorically is not a balance of opinion at all. It is as factual as you can get. Evolution is hard biology. This isn't like history where students are asked to way up different sides of argument over say the Paris Commune. There is no debate to be had! It is like saying we must accommodate the views of flat earthers in geography class for "balance". NO we bloody well don't. Their arguments are crap.

Not having that - flat earthers arguments are brilliant (and utterly stupid). "We can't fall off the edge because antarctica is a giant ice wall holding out space". That's nothing less than glorious.
Maybe she needs to go back to school...
She should be sacked for gross misconduct. She is not fit to teach
Why did we ban Grammar schools, and encourage the creation* of new Faith schools?

Someone please remind me...

*(Pun intended)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

When someone says the earth is flat

Original post by Shadez

I shouldn't have laughed at this as much as I did.
On second thoughts, is this any different from allowing faith schools to operate in the country?
Reply 17
Original post by Gwilym101
I shouldn't have laughed at this as much as I did.

No need to feel guilty :colone:
Original post by Shadez

x

G'rekt.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not having that - flat earthers arguments are brilliant (and utterly stupid). "We can't fall off the edge because antarctica is a giant ice wall holding out space". That's nothing less than glorious.

Like living on Discworld :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending