Students in my group project not doing anything?

Watch this thread
CantGainWeight
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
There's 6 of us, I'm the group leader,
there's this girl who has done **** all, not even posted in the FB group chat even though she's active on FB.

My question to anyone who is at uni:
is this sort of **** common? Do people expect to get away with doing nothing? And what should I do?
username1581649
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Do your bit and they can't blame you
Blondie987
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Are you in first year, if so it is pretty common in my experience, people aren't used to having to interactively work outside 'school' hours
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Guessing that you are probably a first year?

Best way to fix this is to get everyone together and have a face to face chat. Assign people different parts of the project and get them to report back regularly.
LiquidGold
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If someone does absolutely nothing towards a project, i would report them. There is a procedure in place for this at my uni. But you'd need evidence.

If it's a matter of she hasnt done much, but has done something (literally anything), then there isnt much you can do because in group projects the work load will never be completely equal, and there are always people who are more lazy and people who want more control.
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Can't you change your group?
CantGainWeight
Rep:
(Original post by ihatePE)
Do your bit and they can't blame you
I did not select to be group leader for no reason. I want to learn from being group leader and gain experience from it. I think I work great in a group especially if I'm leading from the front.
I don't want to do my bit and call it a day. I want to reward everyone in my group for their effort and punish anyone who thinks they can get a free ride.
charlie-hh
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
A situation I have faced many a time in my life. Unfortunately it does seem to be a common problem - depending on the people.

I found that being a bit more assertive and naming/shaming (e.g telling that girl she needs to pull her weight) can help. I know this feels really awkward to do and isn't exactly popular but when I've managed to do it people often seems so shocked that I call them out that they just do the work.

Another, probably more comfortable, idea is to directly assign work to each individual person. If you know them you can probably can work out what amount you think each personal will do. Most people who are taking a back seat are happy to do the work when directed how to do it in manageable chunks. Most people will actually do it too - and if one persona doesn't everyone in the group gets annoyed so you won't be on your own!

I can't completely solve this problem but I think these are the easiest ways to deal with the situation without bringing in higher authority, and has worked in my experience. Unfortunately this is a problem you will face over and over in your life :/
CantGainWeight
Rep:
This is actually becoming funny. Our presentation is tomorrow morning and nobody has done anything. Let alone that 1 girl.

I'm not even mad. I just find this hilarious. I never used to hand in work, (my own work) on time, so this is just funny to me...
CantGainWeight
Rep:
(Original post by charlie-hh)
A situation I have faced many a time in my life. Unfortunately it does seem to be a common problem - depending on the people.

I found that being a bit more assertive and naming/shaming (e.g telling that girl she needs to pull her weight) can help. I know this feels really awkward to do and isn't exactly popular but when I've managed to do it people often seems so shocked that I call them out that they just do the work.

Another, probably more comfortable, idea is to directly assign work to each individual person. If you know them you can probably can work out what amount you think each personal will do. Most people who are taking a back seat are happy to do the work when directed how to do it in manageable chunks. Most people will actually do it too - and if one persona doesn't everyone in the group gets annoyed so you won't be on your own!

I can't completely solve this problem but I think these are the easiest ways to deal with the situation without bringing in higher authority, and has worked in my experience. Unfortunately this is a problem you will face over and over in your life :/
If this is common, I'm surprised tutors/lecturers don't bang on about people not doing work and the punishments they'll get if they refuse to contribute. It's almost a "come see me after if you have any problems" problem. They go on about plagiarism but they don't go on about lazy ****s who sabotage the learning of others.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Basically suck it up and do the bulk of the work yourself. It's better that everyone gets good/decent marks due to your efforts than you are pulled down by the lack of efforts of others.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CantGainWeight)
There's 6 of us, I'm the group leader,
there's this girl who has done **** all, not even posted in the FB group chat even though she's active on FB.

My question to anyone who is at uni:
is this sort of **** common? Do people expect to get away with doing nothing? And what should I do?
Some unis allow students to give a mark for effort to each of their group ... fianl marks in the module are influenced by this.
CantGainWeight
Rep:
(Original post by Foo.mp3)
Rule #1: Never be group leader
i actually was enthusiastic about being leader lol

lol just lol @ the whole situation

mango peeler
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
i actually was enthusiastic about being leader lol

lol just lol @ the whole situation

I was group leader when I decided to do the PowerPoint. I agreed that I would just take their gathered research and organize it in a powerpoint. But no one ever did the research. And when they did the research, they didn't responsibly inform me. So they didn't show up the date of the presentation. We fought right in the middle of class the makeup date, and the professor let us out early. It all went down because they didn't do their part and then they didn't fess up how they wanted the PowerPoint to be. So they played dumb but I got an A so **** it.
CantGainWeight
Rep:
(Original post by mango peeler)
I was group leader when I decided to do the PowerPoint. I agreed that I would just take their gathered research and organize it in a powerpoint. But no one ever did the research. And when they did the research, they didn't responsibly inform me. So they didn't show up the date of the presentation. We fought right in the middle of class the makeup date, and the professor let us out early. It all went down because they didn't do their part and then they didn't fess up how they wanted the PowerPoint to be. So they played dumb but I got an A so **** it.
this will so much banter tomorrow. my biggest fear is nobody will turn up in my group but me. in which case im ****ed
but yeah, im not losing any sleep over it, i think its all hilarious
CantGainWeight
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Some unis allow students to give a mark for effort to each of their group ... fianl marks in the module are influenced by this.
they've now all refused to do work
samina_ay
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
This is very common lmao.
hihihihihi
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Snitch on them
Kholmes1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
they've now all refused to do work
They are refusing to do it? Maybe speak to the teacher/ lecturer. If you asked them to do something/ told people what to do and you have around the same amount as them so not like loads left. If they don't speak to you about it then just blame them.

But as your group leader if you haven't told them what they should be doing then maybe thats the reason. Although for something like this they should ask.
mango peeler
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Foo.mp3)
Rule #2: Never be the Powerpoint guy
lol ye well I learned. This was like 2 years ago. Normally it wouldn't be a problem but clearly not everyone takes work as seriously as I do, strangely.

(Original post by hihihihihi)
Snitch on them
:ninja: I did inform the professor that...there might be two powerpoints for the same topic, because someone was gonna quit the group but still wanted to do the work...OR..no powerpoints, if it didn't get resolved.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads