GCSE Moles and equations questions help?

Watch this thread
Sakura-Sama
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
1) H2 + Cl2 > 2HCl
a) when two moles of hydrogen gas react, what mass of HCl is produced?
b) When two moles of hydrogen gas react, what mass of chlorine gas reacts?

c) 3H2 + N2 > 2NH3
when one mole of hydrogen gas reacts, what mass of NH3 is produced?
d) when two moles of hydrogen gas react, what mass of N2 reacts?

e) C2H50H +302 > 2CO2 + 3H20
when 200g of ethanol is burned, what mass of CO2 is produced?
f) what mass of ethanol will produce 54g of water?
g) what mass of ethanol will produced 100g of water?

h)2Fe +3Cl2 > 2FeCl3
what mass of iron chloride would be produced from 0.5 moles of iron?
i) when 100g of iron reacts, how many moles of chlorine reacts?
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I'm not going to do your homework for you, that won't help anyone . Here's some guidance to the first few questions to help get you started.

1a) If two moles of H2 react, how many moles of HCl will be produced? What's the mass of one mole of HCl?
1b) In what ratio to H2 and Cl2 react? What's the mass of a single mole of Cl?
1c and d) Again, use ratios. How many moles of NH3 will be produced if the whole equation is divided by three (it doesn't have to be a whole number). Multiply the number of moles you'll have by the mass of one mole.
1e) Another step here. How many moles are in 200g of ethanol (C2H5OH)? How many moles of CO2 will be produced in this case? Work out the mass of CO2 from there.

For reference, the relative atomic mass of each element is H=1, Cl=35.5, N=14, C=12, O=16 and Fe=56

That should be enough to get you going. Quote me when you've given these a try and I'll check your answers for you.
B_9710
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
For all of these look at the molar ratios (the stoichiometric coefficients). 2 moles of H2 will react with 2 moles of Cl2 to produce 4 moles of HCl.
You just scale up the ratios to match the number of moles of the reactants that you have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (2)
40%
They're exactly what I expected (1)
20%