AS Sociology Essay Help...

Watch this thread
ChloeRowey
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello, I have always been quite bad at writing essays in Sociology. Would anyone be able to provide a plan/stucture to the following essay?

"Assessthe contribution of functionalist sociologists to our understanding of the roleof the education system in society."

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
(btw I'm new to TheStudentRoom so I'm sorry if I've posted this wrong)
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ChloeRowey)
Hello, I have always been quite bad at writing essays in Sociology. Would anyone be able to provide a plan/stucture to the following essay?

"Assessthe contribution of functionalist sociologists to our understanding of the roleof the education system in society."

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
(btw I'm new to TheStudentRoom so I'm sorry if I've posted this wrong)
Do an introduction. Use this as an opportunity to show that you have understood the question and to signpost your essay.

Outline what some functionalist sociologists believe. I would aim for around three and then link how this relates to education. So for example, Marx believed that everyone in society was placed in order to meet the demands of capitalism. In the context of education, a Marxist approach would advocate that what is taught in schools favours capitalism and the ideology of the government at the time in order that after school, individuals have been prepared to fulfil a function within a capitalist society framework (this could exist in terms of ways of thinking that are promoted as favourable at school or particular skills a person leaves school with or a lack thereof...e.g. factory workers).

For other content, the Collins unit 2 A level book is good (the red one).

Conclude in a way that summarises the content of your essay.
elise68
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
In your introduction you should try and define key terms (eg: functionalism, positivist approach etc) and outline what you will talk about in the essay

I normally do 3 main body paragraphs on the sociologists (i normally talk about Durkheim, Parsons and Davis and Moore)

I then write a paragraph on the New Right perspective (it stems from functionalism)

In the conclusion I would use external criticisms- eg: Marxist/postmodernist/feminist criticisms

Also, evaluate at the end of each paragraph.

Hope this has helped, I could have a look through you'd functionalism essay of you like? Message me if you need any help😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
mbeale
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If you have the opportunity to, criticise sociologists and studies as you go along as this counts as evaluation. It also means at the end of the essay, you don't keep referencing back to things you wrote earlier.
you should always consider the introduction and opening paragraph to be the best thing you'll write in the whole essay, if possible. It's the first thing that the examiner reads, so you want to impress them. It is easier to start of really well and then finish a tad poorly, because they'll hold in their mind how good it was to begin with, rather than start poorly and end really well because the examiner will always hold the first impression in their mind.
I would also say don't limit yourself to a certain number of paragraphs. A 21 mark essay should be just over a page long when typed up. If it is significantly longer (over 2 pages) or shorter (doesn't fill a page) then I would say you've not talked about enough or you've waffled and need to be more concise. Making a short essay plan of key sociologists and studies from the text book always helps. And I find it is better to write it from memory and then go through and use the book to evaluate more or add a little something extra in because it means you're more likely to remember it, and you are testing your own knowledge. Hope this helps
ChloeRowey
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thankyou so much guys!! The help is really appreciated
mbeale
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ChloeRowey)
Thankyou so much guys!! The help is really appreciated
No worries if you have any other questions or anything you want to know about the course then just drop me a message
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
20.83%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
16.67%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.33%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
29.17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
20.83%

Watched Threads