Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

really fed family problems. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a 19 year old f living at home and attending a local university. I have a part time job where i earn roughly £400 a month. However all my life I have not had a good relationship with my family, neither my mum or my dad. I was always the 'black sheep\' of the family. I did have a chance to move out when applying and I wish I did but my mum and dad stopped me they are very strict and said I have to stay at home. They are abusive towards me and especially in the recent years because I am having to make my own decisions.

They also don't approve of my boyfriend and constantly put me down and i have to lie and pretend I don't see him or they will go mad at me again. I feel so trapped I wish I moved out. I don;t have anyone to turn to no other family members I can go and stay with because my mum and dad have manipulated everyone against me. I just want to be able to live a normal life. They constantly put me down and its got to the point where it really affecting me.

They didn't want me to go to uni in the first place and just wanted to marry me off. They are from a very backward culture and I can't deal with it anymore.

can someone please give me advice on what to do? i've tried to run away may times before but they blackmailed me to come back because of what other people would say. where would I go and stay if I left? could I live on campus? I'm so lost right now I don't know where to go or what to do. My dad just told me to get out of the house because I came home 1 hour late at 8pm. I really just want to leave and be able to live.

please can someone give me advice? what can I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazhra)
    I am a 19 year old f living at home and attending a local university. I have a part time job where i earn roughly £400 a month. However all my life I have not had a good relationship with my family, neither my mum or my dad. I was always the 'black sheep\' of the family. I did have a chance to move out when applying and I wish I did but my mum and dad stopped me they are very strict and said I have to stay at home. They are abusive towards me and especially in the recent years because I am having to make my own decisions.

They also don't approve of my boyfriend and constantly put me down and i have to lie and pretend I don't see him or they will go mad at me again. I feel so trapped I wish I moved out. I don;t have anyone to turn to no other family members I can go and stay with because my mum and dad have manipulated everyone against me. I just want to be able to live a normal life. They constantly put me down and its got to the point where it really affecting me.

They didn't want me to go to uni in the first place and just wanted to marry me off. They are from a very backward culture and I can't deal with it anymore.

can someone please give me advice on what to do? i've tried to run away may times before but they blackmailed me to come back because of what other people would say. where would I go and stay if I left? could I live on campus? I'm so lost right now I don't know where to go or what to do. My dad just told me to get out of the house because I came home 1 hour late at 8pm. I really just want to leave and be able to live.

please can someone give me advice? what can I do.
    If it's that bad then I'd recommend getting contact with your Uni's accommodation services to see how they'd be able to help you find somewhere to stay, it depends on the Uni but I think you'd be able to find accommodation for that price, make sure you have a plan before you leave though and I wouldn't tell them where you're going if they are abusive. It's difficult to gauge what exactly you're going through but at the end of the day you need to look out for yourself and if they're detemeintal to your wellbeing you shouldn't feel pressured it stay with them. Also, I'd maybe let your university know what you're going through? So if it does affect your time at Uni they'll know why. Sorry I can't give much more advice ask don't have a lot of experience with this but that's what I'd recommend, hope you work it out soon and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You are very, very young and you have your own life, if you want to go to uni it is down to you, not your parents. They can't force or manipulate you into going.

They want you to marry off? You are still very young and everyone deserves to marry somone they like.

Why are they putting you down and being abusive towards you I wonder, this is very, very wrong. I would speak to a person in a position of trsut such as your teacher. If you want to go to uni, it is down to you and you can live in accommodation halls.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should leave home once you can financially support yourself. If you are worried about your safety then you'll need to report your family. I know they are your family and it will be hard but you don't deserve the abuse, they can't keep treating you like this. Right now try to get in university accomodation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.