The Student Room Group

Investment Banking - International Student

Hello TSR

I'm an international student from Sweden looking to attend university next year, with the objective of securing a trading job at an IB or Hedge fund.

Background:
Did Business Economics, Maths, International Economics and Finance at the highest level during high school. Grades: A*AAA.

I have experience within trading various financial instruments (successfully) including FX and ETF's. Furthermore I have been working at Deloitte for the past 8 months since I graduated high school.

Despite this I didn't manage to receive an offer from Cambridge nor LSE (economics), however I have recieved unconditional offers from The University of Manchester (BAecon Finance) and The University of Nottingham; BSc Finance, Accounting and Mangament and I'm yet to receive any response from Warwick (economics) which I will firm if I'm fortunate enough to recieve an offer.

How would you rate my chances of getting an internship at a major IB/Hedge Fund? (Trading Desk or M&A). Furthermore, I'm having trouble deciding between Manchester and Nottingham, is there any significant differences between the two and do the banks look differently upon a BA compared to a BSc?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MathSpec
Hello TSR

I'm an international student from Sweden looking to attend university next year, with the objective of securing a trading job at an IB or Hedge fund.

Background:
Did Business Economics, Maths, International Economics and Finance at the highest level during high school. Grades: A*AAA.

I have experience within trading various financial instruments (successfully) including FX and ETF's. Furthermore I have been working at Deloitte for the past 8 months since I graduated high school.

Despite this I didn't manage to receive an offer from Cambridge nor LSE (economics), however I have recieved unconditional offers from The University of Manchester (BAecon Finance) and The University of Nottingham; BSc Finance, Accounting and Mangament and I'm yet to receive any response from Warwick (economics) which I will firm if I'm fortunate enough to recieve an offer.

How would you rate my chances of getting an internship at a major IB/Hedge Fund? (Trading Desk or M&A). Furthermore, I'm having trouble deciding between Manchester and Nottingham, is there any significant differences between the two and do the banks look differently upon a BA compared to a BSc?

HF isn't happening out of undergrad, unless you are a genius.

You'll also need to decide which of IBD or S&T you want to go for, they're vastly different experiences and have very different exit opps.

Choose Warwick if you get an offer as it's a target uni, otherwise, Nottingham is the better choice (between it and Manchester).

Standard route is apply to spring weeks in first year, convert and/or (re)apply to penultimate year summer internships, then convert that to a grad job offer. Given your profile + work experience, I'd say you'd get interviews for spring weeks - the rest will be up to you and how you make use of your time at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Appreciate the feedback - However, could you perhaps clarify what makes Nottingham the overall better place? I would assume that networking opportunities would be better in Manchester?

Furthermore, according to a survey conducted by LinkedIn, Manchester graduates have slightly better odds for breaking into IB which is contrary to your statement. What makes Nottingham stand out overall?
Appreciate the feedback - However, could you perhaps clarify what makes Nottingham the overall better place? I would assume that networking opportunities would be better in Manchester?

Furthermore, according to a survey conducted by LinkedIn, Manchester graduates have slightly better odds for breaking into IB which is contrary to your statement. What makes Nottingham stand out overall?

you might want to standardise that criteria according to ratios dependant on those who break into IB relative to student numbers.

from my exp however, both seem to bring in similar numbers at the SW stage. both are fine, there's negligible difference in terms of ranking, it'll be down to you as a candidate

From what I've seen in terms of numbers that break in, sponsors of Notts' finance society, and the number of events/presentations given by firms - it's pretty clear that Notts has an edge.

(That and the campus experience is better imo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Appreciate the feedback!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending