The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Accommodation 2016

Hey everyone!

Not sure if there's a thread going yet for first years going into accommodation in September 2016 so thought I'd make one just in case!

I'm planning on applying to a self catering ensuite in Endcliffe :smile:

What about everyone else?

Scroll to see replies

I'm also planning on applying for a self-catered ensuite but I have no idea how to decide between Endcliffe and Ranmoor:dontknow:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Hey, i have an offer from here and am thinking of putting it as one of my choices! In this case, i have no clue which accommodation i would go for in terms of location. I would preferably like the most social accommodation - where would this be?
Thanks!
Original post by M123T
Hey, i have an offer from here and am thinking of putting it as one of my choices! In this case, i have no clue which accommodation i would go for in terms of location. I would preferably like the most social accommodation - where would this be?
Thanks!

Endcliffe is the biggest of the three university-owned student villages so I'd say that's probably the most social of them all purely on the basis that the most people live there, I live in Endcliffe at the moment and although a tad noisy at times the social life is great, although I have friends in Ranmoor too and I think so long as you've got decent flatmates you can still enjoy it.
Original post by Lou2110
Hey everyone!

Not sure if there's a thread going yet for first years going into accommodation in September 2016 so thought I'd make one just in case!

I'm planning on applying to a self catering ensuite in Endcliffe :smile:

What about everyone else?

have the applications for accommodation opened yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Im also thinking of applying to ranmoor and endcliffe but not sure about either a self-catered en suite or a catered one.
Reply 6
Original post by moggington
Endcliffe is the biggest of the three university-owned student villages so I'd say that's probably the most social of them all purely on the basis that the most people live there, I live in Endcliffe at the moment and although a tad noisy at times the social life is great, although I have friends in Ranmoor too and I think so long as you've got decent flatmates you can still enjoy it.

Thanks, think I'm going to apply to endcliffe then!:smile:
Is there any specific place for mature students in accommodation?I'm only 24 though so not too much older :smile:
Original post by GeorgiaSheffUni
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to say if you have any questions about accommodation at Sheffield University I'm happy to try and answer them :smile:

Hi :smile: I am trying to decide between applying for Endcliffe or Ranmoor. Obviously I want to make friends and have a good time but I'm not really into wild parties and lots of drinking so I was thinking Ranmoor might be a good choice because someone said it was smaller and slightly more quiet, but I don't want it to be so quiet that there's nothing going on! haha would you say there's quite a big difference between the two?

Also, I'm debating whether to apply for catered or not...I know that I would have to apply for Endcliffe in that case, but I'm not sure whether it would be worth it. Do you know of anyone who lives/lived in catered halls and what it was like? I like the idea of not having to cook and wash up but I'm concerned I'm not going to be getting a balanced healthy diet as you just get a card to use in cafes and restaurants.

Thanks! :smile:
Is there any specific place for mature students in accommodation?I'm only 24 though so not too much older
Reply 10
Hi, are the flats in Endcliffe mostly single sex or mixed?
Hey guys, copy this link into your browser and it will take you to a helpful University of Sheffield freshers page :smile:

facebook.com/groups/539069966256070/?fref=ts
Reply 12
Original post by _Aisha_

Mixed from what I have heard. Most of the more popular area's are like that in Sheffield. I would look around the web and search for student housing in Sheffield in the details on the sites it usually specifics what it will be.
I went to an open day yesterday and they said that we can request who we want to share accommodation with if we already know other people who are going to Sheffield. How do we request it though?
Original post by _Aisha_

I'd say it's a roughly even split between single sex and mixed, maybe slightly more mixed
Reply 15
Original post by Vindangles
Is there any specific place for mature students in accommodation?I'm only 24 though so not too much older :smile:

They have Laddow in Ranmoor and some of the Endcliffe properties are for 2nd years and mature students only but I can't remember all their names. They're usually more expensive.

Original post by Fleming1928
I went to an open day yesterday and they said that we can request who we want to share accommodation with if we already know other people who are going to Sheffield. How do we request it though?

You request it when you apply, it should say on the online form.

Original post by Ellismall
Hi :smile: I am trying to decide between applying for Endcliffe or Ranmoor. Obviously I want to make friends and have a good time but I'm not really into wild parties and lots of drinking so I was thinking Ranmoor might be a good choice because someone said it was smaller and slightly more quiet, but I don't want it to be so quiet that there's nothing going on! haha would you say there's quite a big difference between the two?

Also, I'm debating whether to apply for catered or not...I know that I would have to apply for Endcliffe in that case, but I'm not sure whether it would be worth it. Do you know of anyone who lives/lived in catered halls and what it was like? I like the idea of not having to cook and wash up but I'm concerned I'm not going to be getting a balanced healthy diet as you just get a card to use in cafes and restaurants.

Thanks! :smile:

Ranmoor is quiet but it's not very far from Endcliffe. Bear in mind that sometimes Endcliffe is ridiculously noisy. >:{ There's still a decent amount to do in Ranmoor the uni pub there is ok.

Catered halls have mixed reviews - I've had friends in them and most didn't like it. You can get the card regardless of whether you're in catered or non catered accommodation.

Original post by _Aisha_

Mostly mixed but you can apply for single sex if you want.

On a side note I'm not really a fresher but I might be returning back to first year as I'm switching degrees and have to start all over again. Might live in Endcliffe but most likely on Glossop road.
I'm considering private halls like Sheffield 2, Cornerhouse and Omnia Space...does anyone know what they're like? Experience wise?
Hey folks. Copy and Paste this link into your browser and join The University of Sheffield Freshers group :smile:

facebook.com/groups/539069966256070/?fref=ts
Reply 18
Hey guys - I have an offer for a postgrad masters at Sheffield and I'm looking into accommodation. I initially wanted Endcliffe but they don't seem to have any en-suites on a 42 week contract, but they do have ones in Ranmoor. Are there any postgrads who have experiencing living in Rancour? Would you recommend it?
Original post by _Kath
Hey guys - I have an offer for a postgrad masters at Sheffield and I'm looking into accommodation. I initially wanted Endcliffe but they don't seem to have any en-suites on a 42 week contract, but they do have ones in Ranmoor. Are there any postgrads who have experiencing living in Rancour? Would you recommend it?

Hi there,

I'm not a postgrad but i may be able to help or answer any questions with regards to Ranmoor, as i am currently a 2nd year student staying within the 'returners' accommodation which they have, within a flat of fellow returners which are a mix of 2nd / 3rd year students. In fact i've already received my reservation for next year, where i'll moving from the delights of my current room, to the room next to me.

I think it's fair to say that the Ranmoor lifestyle is certainly quieter than Endcliffe, which is definitely something that i appreciate having had a near-horrendous first year within Stephenson Hall (catered Endcliffe). The Ridge is nearby with the launderette, and the residential mentors always have something planned up their sleeves if you're somebody who would get involved with those type of things.

I suppose the biggest disadvantage for Ranmoor is the distance it is from campus depending on which department you're studying at, therefore it's not uncommon for people to use the buses.

It all depends on what you're looking for though as a postgrad, but i'd certainly say that Ranmoor is pretty postgrad friendly, and even more so if your offer is within one of the returner flats where you'll likely be among similarly minded people who are in their later years.

Quick Reply

Latest