The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

ESRC funding for Research Masters - info about the process??

Hi all,

Just received an offer from LSE for European Studies (Research) and of course I'm thrilled - but there is one issue.

I thought I would automatically receive funding since the course is eligible for 1+3 ESRC funding. However in my email offer it says I have to apply for financial assistance? Which I think is another thing entirely? My parents aren't broke enough for me to get assistance (I think), they just don't have any money to spend on me. So I don't think I'll get that. So I was relying on the ESRC funding...anyone has info on the process? I applied within the relevant deadline but don't know when/if/how I'll hear back, if I have good chances, etc. In case relevant last year LSE only took 2 people on for that course so I'd imagine I don't have much competition for funding.

Cheers
Lucie
Original post by DreamByDay
Hi all,

Just received an offer from LSE for European Studies (Research) and of course I'm thrilled - but there is one issue.

I thought I would automatically receive funding since the course is eligible for 1+3 ESRC funding. However in my email offer it says I have to apply for financial assistance? Which I think is another thing entirely? My parents aren't broke enough for me to get assistance (I think), they just don't have any money to spend on me. So I don't think I'll get that. So I was relying on the ESRC funding...anyone has info on the process? I applied within the relevant deadline but don't know when/if/how I'll hear back, if I have good chances, etc. In case relevant last year LSE only took 2 people on for that course so I'd imagine I don't have much competition for funding.

Cheers
Lucie

Hi, I think I've already replied to you in another thread but I'll reiterate the main points.

Just because your course is eligible for funding doesn't mean you'll automatically get it just because you've been accepted. To be considered you needed to have made it clear you were applying for the 1+3 route (normally in your statement, by submitting a preliminary PhD proposal and by discussing your application with a potential supervisor). ESRC scholarships are not assigned to specific courses* and they are awarded via open competition from nominations by all the eligible departments. There are many courses at LSE eligible for 1+3 funding and far more applicants than there are awards. So the fact that the intake for your course was only 2 last year is completely irrelevant.

Your best course of action is to a) apply for LSE financial assistance b) email someone in your department to ask whether you have been nominated for PhD funding and when you'd expect to hear back.

*There are a couple of exceptions where the ESRC specifically assign funding to certain pathways (e.g. Population), but as far as I know European Studies isn't one of them.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
Hi, I think I've already replied to you in another thread but I'll reiterate the main points.

Just because your course is eligible for funding doesn't mean you'll automatically get it just because you've been accepted. To be considered you needed to have made it clear you were applying for the 1+3 route (normally in your statement, by submitting a preliminary PhD proposal and by discussing your application with a potential supervisor). ESRC scholarships are not assigned to specific courses* and they are awarded via open competition from nominations by all the eligible departments. There are many courses at LSE eligible for 1+3 funding and far more applicants than there are awards. So the fact that the intake for your course was only 2 last year is completely irrelevant.

Your best course of action is to a) apply for LSE financial assistance b) email someone in your department to ask whether you have been nominated for PhD funding and when you'd expect to hear back.

*There are a couple of exceptions where the ESRC specifically assign funding to certain pathways (e.g. Population), but as far as I know European Studies isn't one of them.

Thank you very much for your reply! I'll follow your advice ASAP then. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending