Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

please help - should i drop my fourth AS and instead do three AS? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    im almost half way through year 12 and im currently taking four AS levels: Geography, Psychology, Economics and Maths. I hate maths. I got a comfortable A at gcse and felt confident at the start of year 12 but have now lost all confidence and hope of getting a good grade. I got a U in my mocks for both C1 and S1 in maths, U and C in economics, C in geography and E in psychology. These are terrible grades and truly not representative of my capability - apart from for maths. i struggle with confidence issues and the stress and anxiety as well as difficulty maths is causing is only worsening this.
    My question is; if I were to drop maths (giving me four extra hours within my school days during a week in which i can work on my other subjects as well as do things such as begin online courses) will I be at a disadvantage when i begin applying to universities? In an ideal world, I'd love to do Law but understand the entry requirements for grades will be very high ):
    please help
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e24)
    hi,
    im almost half way through year 12 and im currently taking four AS levels: Geography, Psychology, Economics and Maths. I hate maths. I got a comfortable A at gcse and felt confident at the start of year 12 but have now lost all confidence and hope of getting a good grade. I got a U in my mocks for both C1 and S1 in maths, U and C in economics, C in geography and E in psychology. These are terrible grades and truly not representative of my capability - apart from for maths. i struggle with confidence issues and the stress and anxiety as well as difficulty maths is causing is only worsening this.
    My question is; if I were to drop maths (giving me four extra hours within my school days during a week in which i can work on my other subjects as well as do things such as begin online courses) will I be at a disadvantage when i begin applying to universities? In an ideal world, I'd love to do Law but understand the entry requirements for grades will be very high ):
    please help
    thanks
    hi!

I also struggle with anxiety and was almost forced to drop a subject at AS because of this. I'm thankful that I didn't as I ended up with four good grades - but if you are struggling that much I would definitely recommend concentrating on only 3.

Universities only require 3 A levels, so technically you wouldn't be at a disadvantage, but:
    1. some top unis do require a fourth AS. This is only an issue if you are looking at the very very top of the league tables - e.g. oxbridge, ucl, imperial
    2. if you're applying to unis that give offers in terms of UCAS points, then AS grades may count towards this. However you can always take up e.g. EPQ or an extra AS during year 13 for points.

Law will be competitive, yes, but honestly having 3 good grades is better than having 4 mediocre ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e24)
    hi,
    please help
    thanks
    I wouldn't give up on yourself so quickly! A lot of my friends/family that are older have said their mocks did not represent their final A Level grades. If I was you I'd maybe have a talk with your teacher(s) and see if they think it'll be best for you to drop, maybe tell them a bit about your stress and see what they say.

For Law also, you don't need any specific subjects. They look more for skill than particular subject knowledge . If you think dropping the maths will be better for you, however, I'd go for it. It's better to get AAA than BBBB if that makes sense?

Just keep working hard and remember all you can do is try your best, I'm year 12 and definitely understand the stress aha

ReputationRep:
    just wanted to thank you guys and update you

about a week after i originally posted, i decided to drop maths
    i cried a lot, felt like id already failed etc. you get the picture

in two days i have my first AS exams and i feel the same as any other student. i feel so much happier and less stressed now that im not drowning in maths 100% of the time. im aiming for 3 B's minimum which hopefully is achievable, it definitely would not have been if i was still doing maths

(: thankyou for your advice, good luck with any exams you may be taking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.