How to measure period of oscillation using lightgate?

Watch
Shannon.SS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I have to identify a limitation in my experiment regarding shm.
One obvious one is that the human eye isn't particularly accurate at timing shm.
I understand I could use a lightgate with a data logger, however I'm unsure how I would actually set it up?
If i use one in the equilibrium position it will only record half oscillations, as it will start timing when it first passes through, then stops when it second passes through. Is there anyway to set this up differently?
Username002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Set it up so that the light gate records the object experiencing shm reaching a point of maximum displacement. Make it so that the bob starts at the light gate, when released it will accelerate towards the equilibrium position, then move to the other point of maximum displacement and back, therefore recording one period of oscillation.
nicolev5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi are there any more limitations to this oscillating mass experiment?
what are the limitations and improvements?
nicolev5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shannon.SS)
So I have to identify a limitation in my experiment regarding shm.
One obvious one is that the human eye isn't particularly accurate at timing shm.
I understand I could use a lightgate with a data logger, however I'm unsure how I would actually set it up?
If i use one in the equilibrium position it will only record half oscillations, as it will start timing when it first passes through, then stops when it second passes through. Is there anyway to set this up differently?
are there anymore limitations and improvements to this experiment?
Can't think of anymore
Dead_again
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nicolev5)
are there anymore limitations and improvements to this experiment?
Can't think of anymore
Damping due to air resistance. Improvement: find a room at lower pressure or do the experiment in a vacuum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.88%
I'm not sure (36)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (247)
30.34%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.89%

Watched Threads