The Student Room Group

How to measure period of oscillation using lightgate?

So I have to identify a limitation in my experiment regarding shm.
One obvious one is that the human eye isn't particularly accurate at timing shm.
I understand I could use a lightgate with a data logger, however I'm unsure how I would actually set it up?
If i use one in the equilibrium position it will only record half oscillations, as it will start timing when it first passes through, then stops when it second passes through. Is there anyway to set this up differently?
Set it up so that the light gate records the object experiencing shm reaching a point of maximum displacement. Make it so that the bob starts at the light gate, when released it will accelerate towards the equilibrium position, then move to the other point of maximum displacement and back, therefore recording one period of oscillation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
hi are there any more limitations to this oscillating mass experiment?
what are the limitations and improvements?
Reply 3
Original post by Shannon.SS
So I have to identify a limitation in my experiment regarding shm.
One obvious one is that the human eye isn't particularly accurate at timing shm.
I understand I could use a lightgate with a data logger, however I'm unsure how I would actually set it up?
If i use one in the equilibrium position it will only record half oscillations, as it will start timing when it first passes through, then stops when it second passes through. Is there anyway to set this up differently?

are there anymore limitations and improvements to this experiment?
Can't think of anymore :frown:
Original post by nicolev5
are there anymore limitations and improvements to this experiment?
Can't think of anymore :frown:

Damping due to air resistance. Improvement: find a room at lower pressure or do the experiment in a vacuum.

Quick Reply

Latest