Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can someone help me with coping mechanisms? Watch

Announcements

I'm 15, 6'1. I've been having panic attacks almost everyday, after having severe headaches, dizziness and hallucinations. My head of year wants me to tell my mum about them, but I can't because she's the cause (That's a whole other topic which I will discuss if anyone on the thread brings it up) And because of this I have gone back to having another anorexia binge subtype phase. Can anyone give me some help or coping mechanisms?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I've found the best way to deal with them is something called 'square breathing' well, rectangle really I tend to use my phone as it's always in my pocket but you can use anything anyway, I digress. What you do is you force yourself to breathe in/out for each length of the object while tracing it with your finger and if you're going too fast you just add a side. So when I'm in the middle of one and hyperventilating I breathe in for 4 sides then out of 6 sides because if you're panicking you do it faster but adding sides will force you to slow down... then as you slow it down you reduce the number of sides.
    I can't message you as you posted as anon but if you wanna message me about the other mum thing feel free- always around for a vent

ReputationRep:
    Why did you tell us your height, lol?

I'd say see a professional for help on this, your eating disorder and your home situation (whatever it may be) don't sound at all healthy and unfortunately nobody here is going to be qualified enough to help you in any truly meaningful way. If your mum is the cause, it sounds like communicating this to her may be the best way to get it to stop? That or to move away from her (assuming you still live with her).

ReputationRep:
    Take deep, long breaths. Try and focus on something in the distance and try and focus your mind on something, distract yourself from the panic by thinking about your bringing your breathing under control.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear you're struggling like this you need to seek some counselling or cbt you can always self refer for these things but I'm not entirely sure about what the system is for your age group.
    What's the situation with your mum?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you're getting hallucinations is pretty worrying.

I would try and get help for everything tbh, especially that. How old are you? You may be able to go to your GP without your mum being informed. I think that might be a good idea.

(Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Sorry to hear you're struggling like this you need to seek some counselling or cbt you can always self refer for these things but I'm not entirely sure about what the system is for your age group.
    What's the situation with your mum?
    She's an extreme homophobe, as is my sister. When I hallucinate, I always see her, and it looks like she's about to beat me. She forces me to hide my sexuality. The only place I feel comfortable about it is school, but she is always there in the back of my mind. It's getting to the point where I am considering moving in with my dad.

(Original post by Noodlzzz)
    The fact that you're getting hallucinations is pretty worrying.

I would try and get help for everything tbh, especially that. How old are you? You may be able to go to your GP without your mum being informed. I think that might be a good idea.
    I've said in the original post that I am 15.

(Original post by eleanor27)
    Hey I've found the best way to deal with them is something called 'square breathing' well, rectangle really I tend to use my phone as it's always in my pocket but you can use anything anyway, I digress. What you do is you force yourself to breathe in/out for each length of the object while tracing it with your finger and if you're going too fast you just add a side. So when I'm in the middle of one and hyperventilating I breathe in for 4 sides then out of 6 sides because if you're panicking you do it faster but adding sides will force you to slow down... then as you slow it down you reduce the number of sides.
    I can't message you as you posted as anon but if you wanna message me about the other mum thing feel free- always around for a vent
    I'll try that next time I have an 'episode'

ReputationRep:
    square breathing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She's an extreme homophobe, as is my sister. When I hallucinate, I always see her, and it looks like she's about to beat me. She forces me to hide my sexuality. The only place I feel comfortable about it is school, but she is always there in the back of my mind. It's getting to the point where I am considering moving in with my dad.
    I'm sorry to hear that that's terrible

Are you a girl or a boy?

Maybe you would benefit from moving in with your dad?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.