• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    B930 - Church of England Disestablishment Bill 2016, TSR Green Party
    Church of England Disestablishment Bill 2016, TSR Green Party

A BILL TO

Disestablish the Church of England

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. The Church of England shall cease to be the established church in England.

Removal of State Powers in respect of the Church of England

2. The provisions of the Welsh Church Act 1914 shall apply also in England.
    3. Any powers not removed from the Crown under the extension of the provisions of the Welsh Church Act 1914 or under clauses 4 to 6 below shall be transferred from the Crown to the General Synod of the Church of England.
    4. The powers of the Crown Appointments Commission in respect of the appointment of clergy and lay people in the Church of England shall cease upon the passage of this Bill.

Status of Bishops

5. Church of England Bishops appointed to the House of Lords shall no longer be eligible to be members of the Upper House.

Supreme Head of the Church of England

6. The General Synod of the Church of England shall decide who shall be the Supreme Head of the Church of England. Upon passage of the Bill, the Archbishop of Canterbury shall become the Supreme Head, until any decision by the General Synod otherwise.

Title, Extent and Commencement of Bill

7. This Bill shall be known as the Church of England Disestablishment Bill 2016
    8. This Bill shall apply to England
    9. This Bill shall take effect from 1 December 2016

Notes

The Welsh Church Act of 1914 disestablished the Church in Wales, and so extension of its provision to England is designed to cover all matters as far as possible. The General Synod is the law making body of the Church of England and so is given all the powers currently residing in the State. The status of Bishops and who heads the Church upon disestablishment is explicitly covered.

There is a time period to allow for the transition of functions and responsibilities, including any person who may transfer employment from the Crown Appointments Commission.

ReputationRep:
    Sending an invitation to Islam, eh? Never.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    "No ,No ,No " - Margaret Thatcher

So you are getting rid of Christianity In this country for good ? I shall never surrender to Islam .....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstain
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    "No ,No ,No " - Margaret Thatcher

So you are getting rid of Christianity In this country for good ? I shall never surrender to Islam .....
    wtf is wrong with you?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So I take it thT this removes the queen as head of the church and gets ris of lords spiritual?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    wtf is wrong with you?
    Last time i checked Christianity was the most prominent religion in the UK . This bill essentially gets rid of Christianity and the Cofe . Meaning that Islam will be the biggest religion in the UK And then Muslims will feel they have the right to declare Britain as a Islamic country ( which I hope never happens)

ReputationRep:
    This Bill proposes that the monarchy and everyone else has the choice to be religious or not and recognises that the majority of Christians in this country are not Anglican. It also means that politicians cannot have a say in the business of the church.

Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    So I take it thT this removes the queen as head of the church and gets ris of lords spiritual?
    Yes. Though the Church of England can make the Queen it's head if it wants.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Last time i checked Christianity was the most prominent religion in the UK . This bill essentially gets rid of Christianity and the Cofe . Meaning that Islam will be the biggest religion in the UK And then Muslims will feel they have the right to declare Britain as a Islamic country ( which I hope never happens)
    No, this is separating church from state.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This bill doesn't get rid of christianity.

Your focus on islam and british muslims in bordering insanity.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Yes. Though the Church of England can make the Queen it's head if it wants.
    then not a fan of this. It it was a banning on making the queen head of the church I would support it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'm a High Church Anglican so automatic nay.

ReputationRep:
    Never ever ever.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    then not a fan of this. It it was a banning on making the queen head of the church I would support it.
    Why can the C of E not have a free choice of whom to choose as its own head?

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I'm a High Church Anglican so automatic nay.
    Why so automatic, given even some bishops have called for disestablishment?

Personally I'm undecided. Using the Welsh Church Act seems a messy way to do it, but I realise that if it were proposed to extend an English Act to Wales nobody would bat an eyelid. I can see the benefits of an established church, as regards ensuring that Church teachings do not contradict Government policy, but I think the influence of the Church of England is too little now for that to really be a concern.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Religion has no place in the state.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Why can the C of E not have a free choice of whom to choose as its own head?

Why so automatic, given even some bishops have called for disestablishment?

Personally I'm undecided. Using the Welsh Church Act seems a messy way to do it, but I realise that if it were proposed to extend an English Act to Wales nobody would bat an eyelid. I can see the benefits of an established church, as regards ensuring that Church teachings do not contradict Government policy, but I think the influence of the Church of England is too little now for that to really be a concern.
    It should, but they should not be head of state. Just like how we wouldn't let them choose the PM they can't choose the queen.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    This bill doesn't get rid of christianity.

Your focus on islam and british muslims in bordering insanity.
    Nothing insane about it.

I like this bill however my colleagues are right to point out that this may weaken Christianity and while that's not a terribly bad thing, i would like to see the building of new mosques banned if we are going to do so.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It should, but they should not be head of state. Just like how we wouldn't let them choose the PM they can't choose the queen.
    Why shouldn't they choose the PM if they want?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Why shouldn't they choose the PM if they want?
    Because it caused religion and the state to mix.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.