Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Iran "confiscates" 3 British vessels and 8 crewmen. http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20040621_1742.html

If these were u.s. vessels we would probably be bombing by now and it only hit the news less than 30 minutes ago.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it's been news for a few hours now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Actually it's been news for a few hours now.
    Then google needs to fire it's news people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I don't think its an act of war. According to them the boats entered their waters without permission. Seems like the crew were in the wrong to me, unless they think they can just go wherever they like.
    Did they even know where they where?

ReputationRep:
    didnt we invade spain a while back??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    didnt we invade spain a while back??
    I know that we've been slowly conquering Portugal

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its an act of war. According to them the boats entered their waters without permission. Seems like the crew were in the wrong to me, unless they think they can just go wherever they like.
    I looks to me like the Iranian government is trying to get back at the british government for supporting the U.S. on the nuclear thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    I know that we've been slowly conquering Portugal
    lol no seriously, we were praticing landings on gilbralter and missed completely

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly, they do seem to have gone a bit OTT, but its not an explicity aggressive action.
    If your dad was one of the people in the boat crews I doubt youd be saying the same thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol no seriously, we were praticing landings on gilbralter and missed completely
    That would be Scholesy warming up then

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly, they do seem to have gone a bit OTT, but its not an explicity aggressive action.
    Yes, that would be when the Iranians lose them in the shuffle and a roaming U.S. or British patrol finds a video of Al Qaeda operatives sawing off their heads with box cutters or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    If your dad was one of the people in the boat crews I doubt youd be saying the same thing...
    Right then. If we are to play this game then I could turn around to you and say "If your dad was an Iranian and had been killed by Saddam Hussein and his British-backed campaigns in Iran in the 1980s, then I doubt you'd be saying the same thing."

But I wouldn't consider saying any such thing. One must adopt an objective a view as possible, taking into account circumstances on both sides when deciding whether one is 'right'. An ill-conceived comment such as that above suggests a lack of serious thought on the issue.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very complicated waterway and easy to cross the border without knowing it. There's argument over where the border is too: that's why- officially- Saddam Hussein started a nwar with Iran. If half a dozen armed Iranian sailors turned up in British territorial waters we'd be a bit worried too. According to diplomats rhere's no reason to think the sailors are being ill-treated.
    People who are worried about al- Qaeda ought to learn a bit. Al-qaeda are bigotted wahabbi sunni muslims. They regard shiites- the version of islam followed by most Iranians and Iraqis- as not part of Islam at all, but as apostates and heretics who should be killed. Not much in common.

ReputationRep:
    As they crossed the territorial waters, the Iranians have every right to arrest them and hold an investigation. If anyone entered British Territorial waters on a millitary boat and armed I am sure they would too be caught.

ReputationRep:
    It'll all get sorted out pretty quickly.
    I don't think either side wants a confrontation, so it'll go through the usual formal procedures, and be sorted pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    It'll all get sorted out pretty quickly.
    I don't think either side wants a confrontation, so it'll go through the usual formal procedures, and be sorted pretty quickly.
    lol yep! i doubt a few men with guns on a speedboat that accidently enters another country's waters and getting arrested can be considered an act of war. :rolleyes: otherwise we'll be having alot of wars right now.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.