Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question for students at top unis Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieran12321LFC)
    Would you say that someone with A*A*A in A level Maths, Further Maths and Physics as well as 1s in STEP would have a chance of getting into Cambridge for Maths (oh yeah, I also got an E at AS level Chemistry )
    You have a chance, certainly, but it's definitely not guaranteed. I would definitely apply if I were you, but don't rely on getting the offer, and have a look around other universities as well so you have a good backup plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    You have a chance, certainly, but it's definitely not guaranteed. I would definitely apply if I were you, but don't rely on getting the offer, and have a look around other universities as well so you have a good backup plan.
    Do you not think that they will be put off by me E in chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    I'm okay at actually playing but I don't know much of the theory
    Could just do rockschool lol, needs a bit of music reading (though you can mostly learn it by ear + tab) but other than that the theory you learn is very basic and one-note

ReputationRep:
    Well they weren't put off by my U in AS chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberry68)
    Well they weren't put off by my U in AS chemistry!
    You have given me hope, on this blue sphere we call Earth

ReputationRep:
    It won't put them off you entirely, but it may give them a point of comparison to distinguish other students from you. Don't think of Cambridge as the be-all-and-end-all though - if you look at any league table you'll see that the Cambridge course is only marginally better than most of the top 5-10 universities. You're still going to get a Cambridge-level education if you go to one of top universities, it's just you may not be working alongside international prodigies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    It won't put them off you entirely, but it may give them a point of comparison to distinguish other students from you. Don't think of Cambridge as the be-all-and-end-all though - if you look at any league table you'll see that the Cambridge course is only marginally better than most of the top 5-10 universities. You're still going to get a Cambridge-level education if you go to one of top universities, it's just you may not be working alongside international prodigys.
    I know, I'd still be happy to get into any of them other top unis, it's just that Cambridge is the holy grail

ReputationRep:
    Lol I have 620 and that's just A-levels GOML

To answer that anyway, most people I know have four A2s and did 5 AS subjects so it's quite easy to get 600+ UCAS points (as well as general studies)

ReputationRep:
    You're talking about the UCAS points for three A level subjects.

If a Cambridge applicant takes four A levels, one general studies a level, and say a critical thinking AS level or another AS level these subjects still contribute to UCAS points.

So someone could easily be getting 600 UCAS based on the above without music qualifications.

When I applied to uni in 2009 with a level results that were pre-the A* coming in most of my courses were AAA requirement which is only 360 UCAS points.

However in my A levels I got:

Maths- A - 120
    Geography- A- 120
    Biology- A - 120
    General studies - A - 120

AS levels:
    Physics- A - 60
    Critical thinking - A - 60

Therefore I have 600 UCAS points in total even though I only needed the maximum possible of 360 to get into university.

Even though the A* has now been brought in the same type of thing remains.

ReputationRep:
    I know, I'd still be happy to get into any of them other top unis, it's just that Cambridge is the holy grail

In case you're not aware, the Cambridge maths course includes some Saturday lectures, which is something I wish I'd known when applying (not to put you off or anything )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    In case you're not aware, the Cambridge maths course includes some Saturday lectures, which is something I wish I'd known when applying (not to put you off or anything )
    I don't mind that

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that IB or other systems can give more UCAS points. Also, there's additional qualifications and awards that aren't considered by the uni but might be included in the statistics.

For a lot of top courses, the A-level offer is one of the easy parts of getting in. Getting past entrance exams, interviews, extra exams(STEP etc.) filters a lot of the weaker applicants. No-one who gets 1, 1 in STEP is seriously going to struggle getting A*A*A in A-level, so in a lot of cases the A-levels are a formality.

Because of the previous, the students do on average much better in A-level than the entry requirements. They tend to do extra A-levels etc. and even those that don't often do a fourth AS, which often isn't included in the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    On their websites places like Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick etc, often state that their grade requirements are A*A*A which would be 400 UCAS points but on the Complete University Guide and Unistats the average student at some of these unis can have in excess of 500 UCAS points. In Cambridge it says the average is 601 UCAS points. Why is this the case?
    Cambridge does not work on UCAS points it selects on ability judged from previous qualifications in relevant subjects, tests and interviews and it aims to take the academically best 2-3% of the population. The offers may be A*AA or A*A*A but most exceed their offer by at least one A* and have subjects which are not included in their offer. Some will have already done early A levels.

So for example I did 6 AS at A grade, 2 A at A2 sat early, before A* came in and A*A*A* sat at the end of school plus I had a couple of music grades. I think I probably had about 860. Perhaps I brought the average up but I was not in the least atypical.

Don't forget people apply before they have A2 completed, to be competitive post qualification you are expected to need A*A*A-A*A*A*.

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that someone with A*A*A in A level Maths, Further Maths and Physics as well as 1s in STEP would have a chance of getting into Cambridge for Maths (oh yeah, I also got an E at AS level Chemistry )
    If your 1's in STEP are in II and III you have an excellent chance of getting in.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you apply with 1,1 in STEP II & III already achieved you are almost certain to get an interview, and possibly an unconditional offer. But you would need to avoid the colleges that don't encourage or actively discourage gap years for maths. Check the maths dept pages for the details...
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Those are fantastic grades and would make for a very competitive application! You might find this old thread of ours helpful.

It would also be great to see you at our Maths Open Day in April, which is run in conjunction with the Department Open Day. We'll have the Admissions Team, Directors of Studies and current students around to help and answer any questions you may have. There's also free brunch for prospective students who register. If you're coming on your own just fill out the online form and if you'd like to bring a guest you need to print and post the hard copy of the form along with a cheque for their brunch.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.