Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims: How big of an issue is alcohol? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Have a beer. The magic man will never know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batoot)
    backwards? in what way.
    it's my own opinion on how I'd view a partner who drinks so idgaf what you say.
    I'm the same with cigarettes, yet cigarettes aren't haraam.
    you're just using the word "backwards" because you think my opinion is mostly religiously motivated.
    probably most muslims could not handle alcohol, and would become drunk real quick, unlike those that built some tolerance over many years. lots of muslim boys certainly, binge drink for first time in their twenties when they leave home for the fist time and cant handle it. in moderation drinking is fine ( unlike cigarettes, which islam forgot to ban for some reason)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's a shame because I don't intend to give it up any time soon.
    That's up to you lol but I don't understand why Muslim men want good Muslim girls when they're not up to parr.

Go find a girl who's on the same level as you, wants the same things as you.

Oh, Sweet Irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    probably most muslims could not handle alcohol, and would become drunk real quick, unlike those that built some tolerance over many years. lots of muslim boys certainly, binge drink for first time in their twenties when they leave home for the fist time and cant handle it. in moderation drinking is fine ( unlike cigarettes, which islam forgot to ban for some reason)
    Do you know scientists have just announced that any amount of alcohol is cancer causing?

(Original post by JezWeCan!)

BUT we don't put those who disagree with us in orange jumpsuits, manacle their hands and saw their heads off as they quake in fear, all filmed for the internet.
    Very true. Western governments tend to drop bombs from the sky or install puppet regimes to do the dirty jobs. The same conclusion but with a different method.

ReputationRep:
    In my family, alcohol and meat without the Halal sign are seen as the two substances you never touch. My family aren't that religious and have still told me, 'don't ever touch alcohol', so I always got the feeling like 'don't touch it, or you'll die'.
    I'm just wondering if it's the same in other Muslim families that aren't that religious and what other Muslims opinions of it are when it comes to finding a partner that drinks alcohol.
    Islam considers many actions to be sinful, all of differing levels of severity. But in a cultural context, the order of severity often gets kind of rearranged.

For example, in many families, missing a prayer isn't considered that bad, because everybody does it from time to time and some people hardly pray at all. But the most serious sins are things like eating pork, drinking alcohol, having sex before marriage (especially if you're a girl). Although of course they come after things like killing and stealing and all the things even non-Muslims would agree are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    No, you'd be in the funeral parlor.
    Oh shame. The curse from atheist it appears.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very true. Western governments tend to drop bombs from the sky or install puppet regimes to do the dirty jobs. The same conclusion but with a different method.
    You are positing a moral equivalence between the British Government and the Islamic State?

I can see why you posted anonymously, your views are totally disgusting and you have no moral compass whatsoever. None.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulu24)
    Do you know scientists have just announced that any amount of alcohol is cancer causing?
    why do ppl like you try to selectively latch on to misunderstood science to try and justify your own doctrines and rules. the research actually stated the safe limit in uk was far too high - which is currently two glasses of booze a day which im sure most normal people never actually drink. its perfectly reasonable to say alcohol should not be drunk in excess - actually i beleive it should be limited to jsut a couple of glasses in a week, whcih is what the report is now suggessting.but you also are ignorant to the reasearch that regular red wine in moderation has been show to have numerous health benefits - so not all alcohol is the samethen if you are trying to use 'science' as you justification - you can answer why islam never prohibited cigarettes, or sugar. Or actually, why it promoted drinking from the zam zam well in mecca - which made ppl unwell and science has shoen contains arsenic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    Oh shame. The curse from atheist it appears.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Die

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    It's a very immature thing to say. You may understand better if you ever escape from your sheltered lifestyle and experience different cultures.
    by different cultures I assume you mostly mean non-muslims? If you are, you must be having a right laugh cause I only actually know two other muslims in my whole area, everyone else is non-muslim m8. so if you think I don't "understand" why people drink it, you're wrong, most people around me do.

before I lived here, I grew up in predominantly white area so yes I would like to experience other cultures and other "ethnicities" which will happen when I go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    I've not read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been asked... Just out of interest, how come alcohol is prohibited in Islam but tobacco/cigs/other drugs are not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris22)
    I've not read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been asked... Just out of interest, how come alcohol is prohibited in Islam but tobacco/cigs/other drugs are not?
    They are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Allah curses the one that drinks it.

I think that says it all really.
    I've had alcohol on plenty of occasions and I'm yet to see evidence of any divine curse :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    why do ppl like you try to selectively latch on to misunderstood science to try and justify your own doctrines and rules. the research actually stated the safe limit in uk was far too high - which is currently two glasses of booze a day which im sure most normal people never actually drink. its perfectly reasonable to say alcohol should not be drunk in excess - actually i beleive it should be limited to jsut a couple of glasses in a week, whcih is what the report is now suggessting.but you also are ignorant to the reasearch that regular red wine in moderation has been show to have numerous health benefits - so not all alcohol is the samethen if you are trying to use 'science' as you justification - you can answer why islam never prohibited cigarettes, or sugar. Or actually, why it promoted drinking from the zam zam well in mecca - which made ppl unwell and science has shoen contains arsenic
    The new updated research has said no amount of alcohol is good for us and the common belief that red wine is, has been proven false. Look into it.

The Qur'an actually acknowledges that there are some benefits in these things but the negatives dramatically outweigh the benefits.

Alcohol is one of the biggest killers in the world lol. How can you even debate that it's bad for us? It's like drinking a slow killing poison. MENTAL.

It kills off your brain, it causes it to shrink which yes is natural as we age but it accelerates that, it damages your liver, kidneys, heart, throat, stomach, colon, blood. Everything lol. It's ridiculous that people try to defend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I've had alcohol on plenty of occasions and I'm yet to see evidence of any divine curse :smug:
    your punishment is reserved for the afterlife :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walking in sand)
    your punishment is reserved for the afterlife :giggle:
    How convenient, to reserve punishment for somewhere for which there is no evidence :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    How convenient, to reserve punishment for somewhere for which there is no evidence :giggle:
    the fear of death and promise of purpose can convince many to abandon reason, it seems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walking in sand)
    i dont believe your repulsion at the thought of consuming such liquids isn't derived from your superstitious views
    lmao it isn't derived from my so called "superstitious" views because I wouldn't mind if a guy smoked weed sometimes (which is also haram), I just don't like alcohol (and cigarettes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batoot)
    I wouldn't mind if a guy smoked weed sometimes (which is also haram), I just don't like alcohol (and cigarettes)
    that sounds like nifaq to me...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.