Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A-level choice advice, please. xx Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I am new on here so hope that I am doing this correctly!!! Deciding on A-levels and thinking, maths, chemistry, physics and further maths (at AS) or possibly music / biology. I am torn! My mock results from the other day we're all A*'s except from English with an A. Has anyone done these a-levels or thinking of taking them? How hard, interesting and different from GCSE are they?
    Thanks so much in advance. xxxx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I did A Level chemistry and physics, and AS maths.

I didn't find chemistry a huge step up from GCSE, but then I did IGCSEs which are allegedly meant to bridge the gap a bit better. I found it really interesting although it was probably my hardest A Level, concept-wise. Exam questions are often repeated, though, so it's easy to revise for with past papers and there's plenty of practice material available.

Physics was genuinely my favourite A Level, which is odd because it was one of my least favourite GCSEs and doesn't have much to do with the course I study now! I personally found it easier than chemistry and again there's plenty of practice material available. The course I did was really interesting and covered a lot of different topics, but my one gripe was that there was more rote learning at A2 than I would have liked (medical physics and astronomy, but courses will vary).

In my opinion maths had the biggest jump from GCSE to AS, but I know some people that disagree with me and think it barely changes. I'll be honest and say that I really didn't enjoy maths as much as I'd hoped, but that was due to a lot of factors, including not getting along with my teacher The good thing about maths is that the syllabus is similar between exam boards and rarely changes even as qualifications get modified, so there's heaps of resources out there to use.

I hope that helped Let me know if you have any questions at all. I did my A Levels between 2013 - 2015, just before the new reforms, so bear that in mind however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Hi there,

I did A Level chemistry and physics, and AS maths.

I didn't find chemistry a huge step up from GCSE, but then I did IGCSEs which are allegedly meant to bridge the gap a bit better. I found it really interesting although it was probably my hardest A Level, concept-wise. Exam questions are often repeated, though, so it's easy to revise for with past papers and there's plenty of practice material available.

Physics was genuinely my favourite A Level, which is odd because it was one of my least favourite GCSEs and doesn't have much to do with the course I study now! I personally found it easier than chemistry and again there's plenty of practice material available. The course I did was really interesting and covered a lot of different topics, but my one gripe was that there was more rote learning at A2 than I would have liked (medical physics and astronomy, but courses will vary).

In my opinion maths had the biggest jump from GCSE to AS, but I know some people that disagree with me and think it barely changes. I'll be honest and say that I really didn't enjoy maths as much as I'd hoped, but that was due to a lot of factors, including not getting along with my teacher The good thing about maths is that the syllabus is similar between exam boards and rarely changes even as qualifications get modified, so there's heaps of resources out there to use.

I hope that helped Let me know if you have any questions at all. I did my A Levels between 2013 - 2015, just before the new reforms, so bear that in mind however.

Thankyou so much for your reply it has really helped and I think that if there are lots of resources available that is much better because some subjects only have limited questions and such to do. Glad you found them interesting because I enjoy them quite a lot already and if I pick them don't want to find that they are Boring! Haha.
    I am obviously prepared to work hard at my a-levels and have been revising for GCSE for quite a while now so hopefully my work ethic will already be there. How did your GCSE results compare with that of a-level?
    Thankyou so much again for all your help, it is really good to find out from someone who is actually doing the subjects I might do as the school has barely told us anything! Haha. Got my options evening tonight so I should find out more then (hopefully)
    Thanks again, have a nice day. 😊 xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.