Reply 941
Grade boundary analysis:

C12: Should be cool.
C34: lol screwed
F1: lol super screwed
M1: lol screwed
M2: Not bad.
M3: lol screwed
S1: Good boundaries on a module I don't need them on, u srs edexcel?!
S2: Seriously screwed here, might resit afterall?
Physics 1: Defo screwed
Physics 2: nice one
Physics 3: nice one
Original post by Zacken
Grade boundary analysis:

Overall index of grade boundaries: lol screwed
Reply 943
Original post by Ethereal World
Overall index of grade boundaries: lol screwed

That would seem to be the modal reaction, yes. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
That would seem to be the modal reaction, yes. :lol:

And I think if the options were given a number out of 10 for relative screwedness the mean would come out closest to lol screwed probs.

Aka
Lol screwed/10

:tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Grade boundary analysis:

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 946
Just finished STEP II, 2004. I'll mark it in the morning, but I reckon I did pretty well given that it was a pretty hard paper and the grade boundaries were low. I averaged 20 minutes per question except for one question where I spent an hour and 6 minutes on. :rofl:

I reckon I got full solutions to Q1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8 and 12. Woot! I thought I'd scraped six solutions, listing them out just now shows that I actually did 7, I'm pleased. :biggrin:
Original post by Student403
I never understood why it means 'excited'

Honestly it looks like a guy spasming making a kissy face

PRSOM :rofl:

Whoa, this thread got no chill :rofl:
Reply 948
Original post by Imperion
PRSOM :rofl:

Whoa, this thread got no chill :rofl:

That's the best part of this thread tbh :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
That's the best part of this thread tbh :rofl: :rofl:

Lmao always gets me laughing :rofl: And the motivation to get off this site more :ninja:
Reply 950
Original post by Imperion
Lmao always gets me laughing :rofl: And the motivation to get off this site more :ninja:

Are you trying to quit TSR or something? :redface:
Original post by Zacken
Are you trying to quit TSR or something? :redface:

Shh! Don't tell anyone! :ninja:

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
Grade boundary analysis:

When u get results. Good luck, you should be more then fine for A*A*A tbh
Okay @Zacken, here's the question, it's number 3 on this paper. I got through most of it, but I can't for the life of me show what's required. It's an interesting problem Sam showed me. (2nd ever STEP Q lol)

Here's my working:

12809849_10209429642643891_1746203810_o.jpg

As you can see, I'm not proceeding very far :tongue:

By the way, try checking if you can get your results here? I know it's a long shot, but it might just work.
Reply 954
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Okay @Zacken, here's the question, it's number 3 on this paper. I got through most of it, but I can't for the life of me show what's required. It's an interesting problem Sam showed me. (2nd ever STEP Q lol)

Here's my working:

As you can see, I'm not proceeding very far :tongue:

I'm very impressed! That's pretty much everything except for one or two lines of working. :biggrin:

All you need to do from a=71+\displaystyle a = 7\sqrt{1 + \cdots} is to say that 1+1+\sqrt{1 + \cdots} \approx 1 + \cdots

So a=7+7a = 7 + 7\cdots. (you can take it from here?) This is a bit of a leap of faith to make, I agree - but it's helped somewhat by you knowing you want to get to a+7ηa + 7\eta.

By the way, try checking if you can get your results here? I know it's a long shot, but it might just work.

Darn, that got my heart racing. Doesn't work, thanks for trying it though! :biggrin:
Reply 955
STEP II, 2004:

Total time: 3 hours. Total mark: 113/120.

Overall thoughts: This was a pretty nice paper, I felt. I'm writing this before I've started marking so hopefully things won't go awry. The grade boundaries are astronomically low here and I'm unsure why. On a side note, I'm continually amazed by how much paper a STEP mock takes up. :eek:

Q1: Very pleased with my solution here. Took me 15 minutes because I spotted a shortcut that turned a 3 part problem into a 2 part one. 20/20.
Q2: I liked the concept of this question, it took me slightly longer to do - 20 minutes and a few seconds but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Got another full 20/20 here. I even ended up doing more justification that was necessary for the graph, which was really nice.
Q3: This was a bit of a long question, took me 20 minutes and a bit but it was long in the sense of lots of algebra, arithmetic and sketching. I said something was a maximum when it was a minimum and I even sketched it correctly as a minimum, so I'm cutting one mark there - my graphs were a bit out of proportion, even though the general shape was correct, so I reckon giving myself 17/20 is fair.
Q5: This was another long question, 25 minutes or so. The algebra and integration was tedious. I managed to waddle through it all correctly, somehow... 20/20.
Q8: This was surprisingly short! It took 15 minutes. Cutting myself one mark for not dealing with the modulus properly. So 19/20 seems fair to me here, there was barely any work required. :dontknow:
Q7: I essentially fluked my way through this one and used a lot of dodgy justification, so I'm going to cut 5 marks right off the bat. 15/20. Took me another 15 minutes, might have been able to do better had I invested some proper thought into it instead of bashing everything with Taylor series.
Q12: So, this question took up the remaining hour because I had no other question to do that I liked the look of. Had to restart it a good two or three times, missed the splitting of the modes into two cases, so that's 3 marks off the bat. But everything else looks correct, so I'm giving myself 17/20.

Pleased I managed to get 7 solutions, especially because of that ugly 15/20 on Q7. Also fairly happy in general because the S was at 80/120. This is a definite booster from not doing well on my A-Levels.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
I'm very impressed! That's pretty much everything except for one or two lines of working. :biggrin:

All you need to do from a=71+\displaystyle a = 7\sqrt{1 + \cdots} is to say that 1+1+\sqrt{1 + \cdots} \approx 1 + \cdots

So a=7+7a = 7 + 7\cdots. (you can take it from here?) This is a bit of a leap of faith to make, I agree - but it's helped somewhat by you knowing you want to get to a+7ηa + 7\eta.

Darn, that got my heart racing. Doesn't work, thanks for trying it though! :biggrin:

Thank you, Zack Attack! I must admit, that is a lot of assumption to reach that final step. I think I'll do some of this paper tonight for fun :biggrin:

Original post by Zacken
Total mark: 113/120.

Pleased I managed to get 7 solutions, especially because of that ugly 15/20 on Q7. Also fairly happy in general because the S was at 80/120. This is a definite booster from not doing well on my A-Levels.

Very nice! That's a very high S on what seems like a tough paper. And boo, you don't even know your grades yet :angry:

Speaking of which, do you have any idea when you're getting them? Possibly by mail in a few weeks?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 957
Very nice! That's a very high S on what seems like a tough paper. And boo, you don't even know your grades yet :angry:

It's a very nice paper (the 2000, II) one. Loved every other pure question except Q3 and Q7. You might like to try Q9 if you've covered the relevant M3 bits. :biggrin:

Q5 one that paper was one of my favourites, let me know what you think of it. :yep:
Too lazy to quote but what did I say about the STEP mock? Told you I'm always right :yep: @Zacken
Reply 959

Speaking of which, do you have any idea when you're getting them? Possibly by mail in a few weeks?

Just saw this edit - they said that Edexcel has DHL-ed it off to them and they have no clue when it's coming. Urgh?!

Original post by tinkerbella~
Too lazy to quote but what did I say about the STEP mock? Told you I'm always right :yep:

Oh, shush you. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending