Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    The first part is finding the angle between two vectors using the dot product. The second part is just a right angled triangle and some trig. You've learnt it in year 7.
    I should probably learnt that method at some point. Did you use it as well or did you do my thing with "Let \mathbf{X} be a vector lying on blah such that it is perpendicular to blah blah, dot product, find \lambda and do magnitudes"?

I don't doubt that one bit! I go a little slowly for vectors and matrices questions because those little slips can be so costly, especially in FP3. You should also spend some time drawing a diagram for the last part of vector problems, I feel like it makes the maths involved jump out.
    I knooow, one slip with your cubic shiz in eigenvalues and you're dead. By the way, do you just write down the determinant of \mathbf{M} - \lambda\mathbf{I} directly or do you write out the matrix \mathbf{M} - \lambda\mathbf{I} first?

I definitely agree re: the vector question. I had to re-do that question once or twice, the first time was without a diagram and I got muddled up with R, N, P, etc... but upon drawing the diagram, it all clicked and I ran through it smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    And you say you aren't one of the crazies.
    I'm not :rofl: A crazy is someone who is very disappointed with 74/75 in FP3 :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I'm not :rofl: A crazy is someone who is very disappointed with 74/75 in FP3 :teehee:
    You're a mech crazy. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You're a mech crazy. :teehee:
    Psh I don't qualify for that with my M1 mark >.<

ReputationRep:
    What'd you get in M1? If you say anything above 95 I will glare at you.

ReputationRep:
    Libraries aren't so commonplace here

I wish they were - I'd be much more productive. I remember when I went to Cambridge for my interview I couldn't stay out of the Clare library and I managed to complete a full M3 chapter between interviews
    is it so even in qatar ?

i understand this completely I used to travel 45 min in India to a library (bus autoricksaw etc) but in japan its a 5 min cycle.

do u tend to be more productive at libraries ?

ReputationRep:
    What'd you get in M1? If you say anything above 95 I will glare at you.
    I almost missed my M1 exam lol (shows my dedication, huh?) - 88 :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    is it so even in qatar ?

i understand this completely I used to travel 45 min in India to a library (bus autoricksaw etc) but in japan its a 5 min cycle.

do u tend to be more productive at libraries ?
    Yes!

Wow very nice in Japan!

Well I'd say so

ReputationRep:
    I almost missed my M1 exam lol (shows my dedication, huh?) - 88 :rofl:
    Ah, fair enough. Then again... I got 91 in FP1, so you'll have to pick between calling me a crazy and you a crazy regardless of module UMS or neither of us being crazies.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, fair enough. Then again... I got 91 in FP1, so you'll have to pick between calling me a crazy and you a crazy regardless of module UMS or neither of us being crazies.
    But...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :emo:

Spoiler:
    Show
    you win this time..

ReputationRep:
    But...
    How you feeling for your mocks, by the way? They're coming up soon. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

Wow very nice in Japan!

Well I'd say so
    where do u tend to study normally ?

ReputationRep:
    How you feeling for your mocks, by the way? They're coming up soon. :sexface:
    Tbh I never really took mocks more seriously than any other past papers I do.

If the school plans to cram each one in to the space of a week such that I have 8 exams in 5 days and will have little time for in-between revision (which happens to be the best revision for me during real exams), I can't really use these as an assessment of my real capability. :/ Kind of unfortunate that a good number of past papers will go to waste as a result. But such is life - I'll revise for what I feel needs a decent bit of work (basically the FPs lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    where do u tend to study normally ?
    I sit on my arse for ~12 hours a day lol. Either in school or at home on my desk with everything at it. I don't actually "study" a lot - I revise when things are coming up but I don't usually consolidate. Homework tends to be enough

ReputationRep:
    I sit on my arse for ~12 hours a day lol. Either in school or at home on my desk with everything at it. I don't actually "study" a lot - I revise when things are coming up but I don't usually consolidate. Homework tends to be enough
    I've been playing truant from school since January. I can't study in school tbh, we're not allowed to access the internet and my school is like 1.5 hours from where I live. It's just not worth going every day.

I used to think I was okay in mechanics too, but my M1 and M2 UMS surely doesn't show it :rofl:

I should probably learnt that method at some point. Did you use it as well or did you do my thing with "Let \mathbf{X} be a vector lying on blah such that it is perpendicular to blah blah, dot product, find \lambda and do magnitudes"?
    Yep, I thought of forming a new plane and finding the distance but it was too much of a hassle to do it. I just decided to draw a decent diagram to see what I could do with it and saw an opportunity to make it simple with C4 vectors. I like how flexible some vector questions are with the method you can use.

I knooow, one slip with your cubic shiz in eigenvalues and you're dead. By the way, do you just write down the determinant of \mathbf{M} - \lambda\mathbf{I} directly or do you write out the matrix \mathbf{M} - \lambda\mathbf{I} first?

I definitely agree re: the vector question. I had to re-do that question once or twice, the first time was without a diagram and I got muddled up with R, N, P, etc... but upon drawing the diagram, it all clicked and I ran through it smoothly.
    I write out the matrix first usually - could qualify as a method mark if my other steps are wrong.

I'm not quite brave enough to attempt any big vector question without a diagram. But do you usually draw one for loci questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    I write out the matrix first usually - could qualify as a method mark if my other steps are wrong.
    Good point... I rush through these papers too fast, to be honest.

I'm not quite brave enough to attempt any big vector question without a diagram. But do you usually draw one for loci questions?
    How would you draw one for loci questions? :dontknow: That loci question in Q8 was just plugging in the values for x and y in terms of t and simplfying, then doing the same to the RHS and showing that they were both equal. These kinds of questions are purely algebraic and I don't see how diagrams help at all.

ReputationRep:
    Libraries aren't so commonplace here

I wish they were - I'd be much more productive. I remember when I went to Cambridge for my interview I couldn't stay out of the Clare library and I managed to complete a full M3 chapter between interviews
    The library there gives me nerdgasms, biggest Cambridge one right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    The library there gives me nerdgasms, biggest Cambridge one right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's right next to the Cambridge University library

ReputationRep:
    It's right next to the Cambridge University library
    Used to visit my brother when he was there, lucky ******* had a 2 min walk to it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Used to visit my brother when he was there, lucky ******* had a 2 min walk to it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lovely place :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.