Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    I know!! I counted my blessings that I didn't sit them after I saw the papers. June C34 papers tend to have super low boundaries as well.

Honestly, everything after 90 UMS is basically the same in terms of raw marks. 90 UMS on one paper could be 100 UMS on another - it simply is a matter of luck. 403 and I were discussing this about the SAT that day - that everything past 2250 is basically the same thing.

Ever heard of the normal distribution, my friend? The bell curve is a wonderful thing in North American unis.
    I think that's more prevalent at the public American ones. Because I know there is a lot of grade inflation at top privates like Harvard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I think that's more prevalent at the public American ones. Because I know there is a lot of grade inflation at top privates like Harvard
    It makes sense since you're competing with 4.0 students from around the world. I didn't expect Cambridge's 2:1 requirement to be so low though, maybe the course is just insanely difficult.

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense since you're competing with 4.0 students from around the world. I didn't expect Cambridge's 2:1 requirement to be so low though, maybe the course is just insanely difficult.
    Wait.. Zain wasn't kidding? >.<

ReputationRep:
    No clue :laugh:

By the way, do you know how much chemistry you're going to need during the course of your engineering degree? All my school teachers say that A-level Chemistry is absolutely essential, so I wasn't allowed to drop it. But other than my first year, I don't see much chemistry (that too at a fundamental level) being covered in my course. What's it like for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken;63317965 I finished really quickly as well, but then I spent the remaining time eating food and making eye contact with my invigilators to freak them out. [s)
    lol[/s]
    don't want to brag of this but in C1 last year i spent 20 mins on the exam before falling asleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    don't want to brag of this but -brag-
    Subtle

ReputationRep:
    No clue :laugh:

By the way, do you know how much chemistry you're going to need during the course of your engineering degree? All my school teachers say that A-level Chemistry is absolutely essential, so I wasn't allowed to drop it. But other than my first year, I don't see much chemistry (that too at a fundamental level) being covered in my course. What's it like for you?
    Hmm interesting you bring that up.

Every course I researched in the UK and US didn't require chemistry A level.. Even Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial

My impression is that because over in NA we have 4 year Bachelor's Degrees, a significant portion of first year is spent learning the A Level material which is why we will get so much credit and start off so ahead. So for me, all this would mean is that I have to spend the time taking the chemistry modules (which I don't mind too much) whilst people like you will be able to get credit straight off the bat.

ReputationRep:
    Subtle
    one of the permutations of my name is subtle:p:

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between 2:1 and a first, by the way. But no, I wasn't kidding. It's because you're given such a wide variety of choice and you sit interdisciplinary papers that you only can only feasibly answer about 20% of the paper and that's how it's meant to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    There's a difference between 2:1 and a first, by the way. But no, I wasn't kidding. It's because you're given such a wide variety of choice and you sit interdisciplinary papers that you only can only feasibly answer about 20% of the paper and that's how it's meant to be.
    What the f.... How do you not find that demotivating? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    What the f.... How do you not find that demotivating? :eek3:
    You're only expected to do like 6/7 courses out of 40+ courses so it's all cool

ReputationRep:
    You're only expected to do like 6/7 courses out of 40+ courses so it's all cool

Wonder how many Indian internationals got their arses beat when they happily told ammi and abba back home they got 30% :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Wonder how many Indian internationals got their arses beat when they happily told ammi and abba back home they got 30% :giggle:
    I died :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    My dream of lovey dovey rainbows and birds basically singing to me each morning from my room = shattered.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there's gonna be October exams from now on too for IAL xD
    Seriously? Isn't that too fast or...?

ReputationRep:
    Missing you boo

ReputationRep:
    bye

ReputationRep:
    I died :rofl: :rofl:
    How are A-levels? Do you have only S3 left? I've got M4 and M5 left, working hard to finish M4 this week (started it a week ago).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    How are A-levels? Do you have only S3 left? I've got M4 and M5 left, working hard to finish M4 this week (started it a week ago).
    Nah, finished S3 ages ago. Trying to learn the entirely of Physics A2. How's M4?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, finished S3 ages ago. Trying to learn the entirely of Physics A2. How's M4?
    I've heard that you don't really enjoy Physics that much. I am the complete opposite.

M4 is going really well so far. Relative motion was tricky at first, but after some practice it all kind of clicked and now I find it easy and fun. I am currently on Chapter 2: Elastic collisions in two dimensions, and I don't think there is anything tricky on there. Going to try and finish Chapter 2 today, so I can finish Chapter 3 tomorrow and then Chapter 4 and 5 on Sunday (Chapter 5 is just one exercise). However, I am not sure how I am going to find Chapter 3 because it is based on simple harmonic motion, and I remember from M3 that I had trouble finding out the extensions of strings (especially when you have more than one string attached to a particle) but I decided to leave that and practice it after I finish M4 and M5 because I feel like I am pretty good on the rest of M3.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.