Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    I've heard that you don't really enjoy Physics that much. I am the complete opposite.
    I love Physics, I just hate the *******isation called A-Level Physics.

M4 is going really well so far. Relative motion was tricky at first, but after some practice it all kind of clicked and now I find it easy and fun. I am currently on Chapter 2: Elastic collisions in two dimensions, and I don't think there is anything tricky on there. Going to try and finish Chapter 2 today, so I can finish Chapter 3 tomorrow and then Chapter 4 and 5 on Sunday (Chapter 5 is just one exercise). However, I am not sure how I am going to find Chapter 3 because it is based on simple harmonic motion, and I remember from M3 that I had trouble finding out the extensions of strings (especially when you have more than one string attached to a particle) but I decided to leave that and practice it after I finish M4 and M5 because I feel like I am pretty good on the rest of M3.
    Yeah, relative motion is quite nice. It was in my GCSE, it just takes some practise. Elastic collisions is quite nice, I accidentally learnt some of it, along with variable mass. Ooh, SHM from M3 was my strong point, you just needed a strong conceptualisation of the extensions stuff and equilibriums, once it clicks it's awesome. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Oh, sorry then. I kind of feel the same way about A-level Physics to be honest, I like it that it tests problem-solving way more than A-level Mathematics (not sure about FM) but there are still some questions which can literally be answered by someone who has just memorised the mark scheme and hasn't understood the concept at all.

(Original post by Zacken:63342941)
    Yeah, relative motion is quite nice. It was in my GCSE, it just takes some practise. Elastic collisions is quite nice, I accidentally learnt some of it, along with variable mass. Ooh, SHM from M3 was my strong point, you just needed a strong conceptualisation of the extensions stuff and equilibriums, once it clicks it's awesome. Good luck!
    Whoah, did Zacken just say that relative motion is nice? :O I thought Geometry was not your strongest suit.

I can't wait to do some Variable mass in M5, it looks really juicy.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "conceptualisation of the extensions stuff and equilibriums". I usually read through the worked examples as revision before I do a mock exam, but it seems like I just don't get how they get the extensions. I remember having trouble understanding how they got the extensions from the mark scheme of a past paper. Next time I will come here for help.

ReputationRep:

It's like I don't even know you anymore :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    I need to try and get some Physics done tonight.

In other news, I did the 2008 adapted FP2 paper, not as a mock or anything but just as practice and it went fairly well. I need to keep my FP and S3 skills sharp. I also need to do III, 2005 either tomorrow or on Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    I need to try and get some Physics done tonight.

In other news, I did the 2008 adapted FP2 paper, not as a mock or anything but just as practice and it went fairly well. I need to keep my FP and S3 skills sharp. I also need to do III, 2005 either tomorrow or on Wednesday.
    Damn nice job!

On the topic of Physics, got my physics mock back - full UMS :'D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Damn nice job!

On the topic of Physics, got my physics mock back - full UMS :'D
    Dayuuuum! What unit?

ReputationRep:
    Dayuuuum! What unit?
    We do 6 - it's a hell of a lot easier than 3!

I've been meaning to ask - how did you revise all the practicals for U3? Cause I assume you didn't carry them all out yourself :0 it must have been super tough!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I've been meaning to ask - how did you revise all the practicals for U3? Cause I assume you didn't carry them all out yourself :0 it must have been super tough!
    Congratulations

I assume he did written version

ReputationRep:

Well done!

I did this kind of paper: https://605600fdb9b4c87e3bb519cd6ec9...%20Physics.pdf - so no actual practicals but there was a hell of a lot of experiments (like 27 of them or so, lol) that you had to know vaguely about. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Congratulations

I assume he did written version
    Thanks!

Well done!

I did this kind of paper: https://605600fdb9b4c87e3bb519cd6ec9...%20Physics.pdf - so no actual practicals but there was a hell of a lot of experiments (like 27 of them or so, lol) that you had to know vaguely about. :afraid:
    Thanks

Nah I know - I did the same alternative to practical paper. But the thing is, I found having carried out the practicals in class during the year meant that I knew them a lot better. Quite often I imagined how hard it would be if I hadn't done them myself.. You really pick up the niches of the practicals when you have to do them yourself! So i thought it must be super hard for you :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Nah I know - I did the same alternative to practical paper. But the thing is, I found having carried out the practicals in class during the year meant that I knew them a lot better. Quite often I imagined how hard it would be if I hadn't done them myself.. You really pick up the niches of the practicals when you have to do them yourself! So i thought it must be super hard for you :eek:
    Not going to lie, I completely forgot about this unit till a few days before the actual exam, found some PDF about each one of the twenty seven experiments and stayed up till 5 a.m in the morning before my exam memorising as much of the crap as I could. :lol: The only experiment I'd done was the value of gravity one using the graph of s v/s t^2 and I know that experiment so well having done it myself, so I understand what you mean by "knowing them a lot better" but alas the U3 papers were bit of a hell, not sure how I managed to scrape the UMS I did tbh lots of blagging through stuff I didn't really know :rofl:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So i thought it must be super hard for you :eek:
    Nothing is hard for Zacken.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is hard for Zacken.
    :perv:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    blagging through stuff I didn't really know :rofl:
    This tends to work for me for biology. I know a fact and I blag a lot of filler.

ReputationRep:
    This tends to work for me for biology. I know a fact and I blag a lot of filler.
    Yep, pretty much. I'm hoping it'll work for the next three Physics units.

ReputationRep:
    :perv:
    I'm hard for Zacken
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm sorry :rofl:

Not going to lie, I completely forgot about this unit till a few days before the actual exam, found some PDF about each one of the twenty seven experiments and stayed up till 5 a.m in the morning before my exam memorising as much of the crap as I could. :lol: The only experiment I'd done was the value of gravity one using the graph of s v/s t^2 and I know that experiment so well having done it myself, so I understand what you mean by "knowing them a lot better" but alas the U3 papers were bit of a hell, not sure how I managed to scrape the UMS I did tbh lots of blagging through stuff I didn't really know :rofl:
    Sounds a bit like me but hey hard work paid off!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yep, pretty much. I'm hoping it'll work for the next three Physics units.
    I started working again last week on Chemistry. This week is biology. Should really update my blog. Jelly of the activity on urs.

Have you started Physics?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm hard for Zacken
    Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Not sorry

Nah, you're a hard worker .

ReputationRep:
    I'm hard for Zacken
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Somebody isn't going to be happy about that.

I just read through the Unit 5 spec for Physics, it looks like hell. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you're a hard worker .
    Then that makes three of us :five:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.