ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Warwick or Imperial as insurance? Someone decide for me
    Imperial brother.
    All the kool kids hve imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Goals for this week:

1. Learn about the theory of eigenvectors/values properly in their context of invariant vector subspaces as well as the applications of diagonolisation, how to diagonalise matrices and necessary and sufficient conditions for matrices to be diagonlisable.

2. Learn about the theory of polar coordinates, in specific: more about the systematic theory of them.

3. Learn about particle accelerators: synchrotrons and cyclotrons, specifically how they work, their uses and check out a few exam questions and the way the markscheme wants me to answer them.

Yeah, I'm super lazy so I'll leave it as those three objectives, I'll probably barely be able to do that anyway, as it is. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Goals for this week:

1. Learn about the theory of eigenvectors/values properly in their context of invariant vector subspaces as well as the applications of diagonolisation, how to diagonalise matrices and necessary and sufficient conditions for matrices to be diagonlisable.

2. Learn about the theory of polar coordinates, in specific: more about the systematic theory of them.

3. Learn about particle accelerators: synchrotrons and cyclotrons, specifically how they work, their uses and check out a few exam questions and the way the markscheme wants me to answer them.

Yeah, I'm super lazy so I'll leave it as those three objectives, I'll probably barely be able to do that anyway, as it is. :laugh:
    I actually understood none of that

ReputationRep:
    Goals for this week:

It was actually the Arabs that came up with the polar coordinate system - their central point was Mecca and they used the system whilst traveling.

May the \displaystyle \vec{\mathrm{F}} = \gamma \mathrm{m}\ddot{x} be with you for number 3. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Goals for this week:

Those are fun Let me know if you'd like some help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Those are fun Let me know if you'd like some help
    Are there usually any questions on synchrotrons? Do you have a concise summary of how each work, like a mark scheme answer? The cyclotron one came in my mock but I'm not sure how good my wording was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Are there usually any questions on synchrotrons? Do you have a concise summary of how each work, like a mark scheme answer? The cyclotron one came in my mock but I'm not sure how good my wording was.
    Synchrotrons are the long ones, yeah? If so I do believe I've seen a couple of those. And yep I have some notes on em

ReputationRep:
    Synchrotrons are the long ones, yeah? If so I do believe I've seen a couple of those. And yep I have some notes on em
    Nah, that's the linac! Synchrotron is the one that considers relativistic effects. Google the Stanford synchrotron, it looks beast :love:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, that's the linac! Synchrotron is the one that considers relativistic effects. Google the Stanford synchrotron, it looks beast :love:
    Ah ****, there's three of them, isn't there? I'll need to add that to the list. Linear, synchrotron and cyclotron. The linear one is just the straight one with the sections that flip polarity and each successive one is longer than the other one, yeah?

ReputationRep:
    That does look like a beast :sexface:

Uhmm I can't find any notes on those xD

ReputationRep:
    Ah ****, there's three of them, isn't there? I'll need to add that to the list. Linear, synchrotron and cyclotron. The linear one is just the straight one with the sections that flip polarity and each successive one is longer than the other one, yeah?
    Yep, I feel like that one's really simple to understand. I'm gonna ask my physics teacher about cyclotrons soon though - they kinda mess with my head. There's three of them, yeah, but they're not that bad. You'll find Unit 5 way easier, I feel like most of it is just my GCSE Physics + some M3 + astronomy.

The red book is completely useless at explaining it though. Someone told me something about getting a "SHAP" book, blue in colour. 403, have you heard of it? Apparently it's a lot better because it's context approach.

That does look like a beast :sexface:

Uhmm I can't find any notes on those xD

:drool:

Yeah, I don't think I've seen much of those in exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I feel like that one's really simple to understand. I'm gonna ask my physics teacher about cyclotrons soon though - they kinda mess with my head. There's three of them, yeah, but they're not that bad. You'll find Unit 5 way easier, I feel like most of it is just my GCSE Physics + some M3 + astronomy.

The red book is completely useless at explaining it though. Someone told me something about getting a "SHAP" book, blue in colour. 403, have you heard of it? Apparently it's a lot better because it's context approach.

:drool:

Yeah, I don't think I've seen much of those in exams.
    :love:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, cyclotrons look weird as hell, if I come across any cool videos that help me understand it, should I link you to them or nah?

That's what unit 4 looked like to me: M1 momenta + GCSE Physics + half of particle physics. What's unit 6 like? I like errors and uncertainties from the little I know of it, but do you have to do that whole "plan an experiment" thing like in U3? I'm quite behind on all of this.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, cyclotrons look weird as hell, if I come across any cool videos that help me understand it, should I link you to them or nah?

That's what unit 4 looked like to me: M1 momenta + GCSE Physics + half of particle physics. What's unit 6 like? I like errors and uncertainties from the little I know of it, but do you have to do that whole "plan an experiment" thing like in U3? I'm quite behind on all of this.
    YES, please do link me! I remember understanding how they worked back when we were learning it in class but I kinda forgot it

I think all of A2 Physics is similar to what I did during IGCSEs, just in more depth. Unit 6 is actually nicer than 3 in my opinion. Dw, you're not really behind because I literally started it a week back as well. It has a similar structure - uncertainties, planning (yep, still there but nothing fundamentally different), graphs and finding gradients etc (but now with ...you guessed it... logarithms and exponentials! :woo:) It'll take you three days tops to get used to U6, ngl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Warwick or Imperial as insurance? Someone decide for me
    If your Imperial offer doesn't ask for STEP, definitely Imperial
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    If your Imperial offer doesn't ask for STEP, definitely Imperial
    Just wondering why you'd say that... from what I've seen the Warwick course is a lot more flexible, which - especially with regard to applied - is something that's quite important to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.