The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
It's not quite a PDF, but here.

Safe I only need these to be equipped for III stats. Stats is so mch easier then mech in STEP lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

That. :tongue:

Is that the equivalent of the worded questions in S2 and S1?
Reply 1902
Original post by Student403
Is that the equivalent of the worded questions in S2 and S1?

Worse. :'(
Original post by Zacken
Worse. :'(

8 marks of that.. i would die
Original post by Zacken
It's not quite a PDF, but here.

Neat. Conditional probability is absolutely fundamental in modern probability theory.

Handy Tripos Hint: Learn how to do conditioning arguments; so many apparently difficult problems melt into nothingness if you condition on the right events.
Reply 1905
Original post by Gregorius
Neat. Conditional probability is absolutely fundamental in modern probability theory.

Handy Tripos Hint: Learn how to do conditioning arguments; so many apparently difficult problems melt into nothingness if you condition on the right events.

Aye, I had originally skipped the first 18 or so lectures and got my teeth straight into bivariate stuff and MGF/PGS because I figured I knew all the before things. He brought up a conditional problem and I understood none of it so I went back to the beginning and I'm going to try and understand conditional probability because at the moment. I don't understand it at all.
Original post by Zacken

That. :tongue:

Can't I just fish and decide which one's healthy and which one isn't?

Spoiler

Original post by Imperion
Can't I just fish and decide which one's healthy and which one isn't?

Spoiler

Looks like a really boring GCSE Biology question...
That sampling question was murder.
Reply 1909
STEP III, 2009:

Time: 3 hours
Mark: 118

General thoughts: I really, really liked this paper. Hence the one-off high-mark fluke. There were two limits questions, integration questions, induction/polynomial one, Laplace transforms, Fresnel integrals, all stuff that are unfamiliar to people and are, as such, made rather easy but due to my familiarity with those sort of things, I found it rather easy. Which is unfortunately, unlikely to happen in the real thing.

Q1: Started with this and even though it looked a little daunting, once I put pen to paper it came out within 20 minutes. Full.

Q3: Decided to do this once next because Q2 looked a little lengthy. This was an absolute gem, I could see exactly what I needed to do for each part and it all fell out within fifteen minutes. Full.

Q4: I kept putting Q2 off because all the other questions looked so fun, especially this one. Again, it was pretty obvious what to do in each case and I squeezed a full out in 19 minutes.

Q2: Finally went back and got this done. It took fairly long and I reckon I didn't justify myself too well at the very end. So 19/20 in 24 minutes.

Q7: This one was fairly lengthy as well and I didn't do the very last bit about the degree of the polynomial which is apparently worth a fairly large amount of marks. So 15/20 in 25 minutes.

Q12: Now that I'd gotten 6 fulls I started relaxing my criterion for picking questions (I had an hour left on the clock), I spent about half an hour on this stats question which was quite interesting. I'm getting a hang of this PFG stuff. :biggrin:

Q5: Now that I'd gotten 7 fulls I started going through the pures again and attempted Q5. Not much to say about this, I scribbled out the horrid mess of algebra as quickly as I could and that was that.

I might have a chance of meeting my offer after all. Hopefully, gotta keep this up. I have a feeling my next mock is going to go downhill from here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
STEP III, 2009:

Time: 3 hours
Mark:

General thoughts: I really, really liked this paper. Hence the one-off high-mark fluke. There were two limits questions, integration questions, induction/polynomial one, Laplace transforms, Fresnel integrals, all stuff that are unfamiliar to people and are, as such, made rather easy but due to my familiarity with those sort of things, I found it rather easy. Which is unfortunately, unlikely to happen in the real thing.

Q1: Started with this and even though it looked a little daunting, once I put pen to paper it came out within 20 minutes. Full.

Q3: Decided to do this once next because Q2 looked a little lengthy. This was an absolute gem, I could see exactly what I needed to do for each part and it all fell out within fifteen minutes. Full.

Q4: I kept putting Q2 off because all the other questions looked so fun, especially this one. Again, it was pretty obvious what to do in each case and I squeezed a full out in 19 minutes.

Q2: Finally went back and got this done. It took fairly long and I reckon I didn't justify myself too well at the very end. So 19/20 in 24 minutes.

Q7: This one was fairly lengthy as well and I didn't do the very last bit about the degree of the polynomial which is apparently worth a fairly large amount of marks. So 15/20 in 25 minutes.

Q12: Now that I'd gotten 6 fulls I started relaxing my criterion for picking questions (I had an hour left on the clock), I spent about half an hour on this stats question which was quite interesting. I'm getting a hang of this PFG stuff. :biggrin:

Q5: Now that I'd gotten 7 fulls I started going through the pures again and attempted Q5. Not much to say about this, I scribbled out the horrid mess of algebra as quickly as I could and that was that.

I might have a chance of meeting my offer after all. Hopefully, gotta keep this up. I have a feeling my next mock is going to go downhill from here.

THIIIIIIISSSSS I'm lovin it
Amazing, Zain! Keep it up, you're clinching at it.
Original post by Zacken

I might have a chance of meeting my offer after all.

Wtf? You're S'ing all your mocks and you were doubting that you'd make your offer?
That's like me saying that I might not meet my offer lol.
Reply 1913
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Wtf? You're S'ing all your mocks and you were doubting that you'd make your offer?

It's just all so unpredictable and I really don't wanna get my hopes up, if you get what I mean?
Nice m9 :yy:

Jinxing is a thing? :tongue: Never know what might happen on that day :laugh:
Original post by Zacken
It's just all so unpredictable and I really don't wanna get my hopes up, if you get what I mean?

I guess so, but I see no chance whatsoever of you getting a 2 in any paper, probably not even a 1...
Original post by Zacken
because all the other questions looked so fun, especially this one.

lol nerd
I guess so, but I see no chance whatsoever of you getting a 2 in any paper, probably not even a 1...

I don't think he will get a 1. But yeh he is right in saying it is very unpredictable since Renzhi got 'only' a 1 and is one of the best mathematicians in the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I don't think he will get a 1. But yeh he is right in saying it is very unpredictable since Renzhi got 'only' a 1 and is one of the best mathematicians in the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it has to be said that the difference between a 1 and an S is not purely ability; you need a bit of luck on the day to make that S.
So in that sense I don't think anyone should pressure themselves to get all S grades or anything like that even if they can achieve them, since it's very easy to just miss that S from having a bad day etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending