Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    June 2012, S3:
    Q2: I ****ing hate this ****. Like. What the actual ****.
    Do tell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Do tell

That.

ReputationRep:

That.
    LOL. Would you feel brave enough to say that stratified random sampling could be used by dragnetting the entire lake of all the fish?

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Would you feel brave enough to say that stratified random sampling could be used by dragnetting the entire lake of all the fish?
    I did feel like their choice of wording was overly authoritative for that part. :lol:

On the other hand, I've been going through an excellent set of probability theory lecture notes from a Harvard course that's really interesting me right now. MGF's/PGF's are really cool. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I did feel like their choice of wording was overly authoritative for that part. :lol:

On the other hand, I've been going through an excellent set of probability theory lecture notes from a Harvard course that's really interesting me right now. MGF's/PGF's are really cool. :eek3:
    Set me the link.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Set me the link.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not quite a PDF, but here.

ReputationRep:
    Safe I only need these to be equipped for III stats. Stats is so mch easier then mech in STEP lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

That.
    Is that the equivalent of the worded questions in S2 and S1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Is that the equivalent of the worded questions in S2 and S1?
    Worse. :'(

ReputationRep:
    Worse. :'(
    8 marks of that.. i would die

ReputationRep:
    Neat. Conditional probability is absolutely fundamental in modern probability theory.

Handy Tripos Hint: Learn how to do conditioning arguments; so many apparently difficult problems melt into nothingness if you condition on the right events.

ReputationRep:
    Neat. Conditional probability is absolutely fundamental in modern probability theory.

Handy Tripos Hint: Learn how to do conditioning arguments; so many apparently difficult problems melt into nothingness if you condition on the right events.
    Aye, I had originally skipped the first 18 or so lectures and got my teeth straight into bivariate stuff and MGF/PGS because I figured I knew all the before things. He brought up a conditional problem and I understood none of it so I went back to the beginning and I'm going to try and understand conditional probability because at the moment. I don't understand it at all.

ReputationRep:

That.
    Can't I just fish and decide which one's healthy and which one isn't?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That Q doe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Can't I just fish and decide which one's healthy and which one isn't?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That Q doe
    Looks like a really boring GCSE Biology question...

ReputationRep:
    That sampling question was murder.

ReputationRep:
    STEP III, 2009:

Time: 3 hours
    Mark: 118

General thoughts: I really, really liked this paper. Hence the one-off high-mark fluke. There were two limits questions, integration questions, induction/polynomial one, Laplace transforms, Fresnel integrals, all stuff that are unfamiliar to people and are, as such, made rather easy but due to my familiarity with those sort of things, I found it rather easy. Which is unfortunately, unlikely to happen in the real thing.

Q1: Started with this and even though it looked a little daunting, once I put pen to paper it came out within 20 minutes. Full.

Q3: Decided to do this once next because Q2 looked a little lengthy. This was an absolute gem, I could see exactly what I needed to do for each part and it all fell out within fifteen minutes. Full.

Q4: I kept putting Q2 off because all the other questions looked so fun, especially this one. Again, it was pretty obvious what to do in each case and I squeezed a full out in 19 minutes.

Q2: Finally went back and got this done. It took fairly long and I reckon I didn't justify myself too well at the very end. So 19/20 in 24 minutes.

Q7: This one was fairly lengthy as well and I didn't do the very last bit about the degree of the polynomial which is apparently worth a fairly large amount of marks. So 15/20 in 25 minutes.

Q12: Now that I'd gotten 6 fulls I started relaxing my criterion for picking questions (I had an hour left on the clock), I spent about half an hour on this stats question which was quite interesting. I'm getting a hang of this PFG stuff.

Q5: Now that I'd gotten 7 fulls I started going through the pures again and attempted Q5. Not much to say about this, I scribbled out the horrid mess of algebra as quickly as I could and that was that.

I might have a chance of meeting my offer after all. Hopefully, gotta keep this up. I have a feeling my next mock is going to go downhill from here.

ReputationRep:
    STEP III, 2009:

Time: 3 hours
    Mark:

General thoughts: I really, really liked this paper. Hence the one-off high-mark fluke. There were two limits questions, integration questions, induction/polynomial one, Laplace transforms, Fresnel integrals, all stuff that are unfamiliar to people and are, as such, made rather easy but due to my familiarity with those sort of things, I found it rather easy. Which is unfortunately, unlikely to happen in the real thing.

Q1: Started with this and even though it looked a little daunting, once I put pen to paper it came out within 20 minutes. Full.

Q3: Decided to do this once next because Q2 looked a little lengthy. This was an absolute gem, I could see exactly what I needed to do for each part and it all fell out within fifteen minutes. Full.

Q4: I kept putting Q2 off because all the other questions looked so fun, especially this one. Again, it was pretty obvious what to do in each case and I squeezed a full out in 19 minutes.

Q2: Finally went back and got this done. It took fairly long and I reckon I didn't justify myself too well at the very end. So 19/20 in 24 minutes.

Q7: This one was fairly lengthy as well and I didn't do the very last bit about the degree of the polynomial which is apparently worth a fairly large amount of marks. So 15/20 in 25 minutes.

Q12: Now that I'd gotten 6 fulls I started relaxing my criterion for picking questions (I had an hour left on the clock), I spent about half an hour on this stats question which was quite interesting. I'm getting a hang of this PFG stuff.

Q5: Now that I'd gotten 7 fulls I started going through the pures again and attempted Q5. Not much to say about this, I scribbled out the horrid mess of algebra as quickly as I could and that was that.

I might have a chance of meeting my offer after all. Hopefully, gotta keep this up. I have a feeling my next mock is going to go downhill from here.
    THIIIIIIISSSSS I'm lovin it

ReputationRep:
    Amazing, Zain! Keep it up, you're clinching at it.

ReputationRep:
    I might have a chance of meeting my offer after all.
    Wtf? You're S'ing all your mocks and you were doubting that you'd make your offer?
    That's like me saying that I might not meet my offer lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Wtf? You're S'ing all your mocks and you were doubting that you'd make your offer?
    That's like me saying that I might not meet my offer lol.
    It's just all so unpredictable and I really don't wanna get my hopes up, if you get what I mean?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.