The Student Room Group

Access to Law social anxiety

Hi everyone,

I'm considering doing an Access to Law course in September with a view to studying the subject at university.

I think I have the academic ability to cope with the course, but I have social anxiety disorder and it is very hard for me to speak in front of lots of people.

Would this put me at a serious disadvantage, or is it worth doing anyway? Has anyone here done this or any Access course whilst suffering from social anxiety?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
I have social anxiety and was enrolled on a joint honours degree in Criminology with Law a few years ago. I do think speaking in front of groups of people is quite a crucial part of the course but it depends on the uni course and what your career ambitions are. Maybe someone with more knowledge on it can enlighten you.
Reply 2
You start the course in September, so now would be a good time to do some exposure therapy and CBT. I had VERY severe social anxiety for A VERY LONG TIME sorry for all caps, but I can't stress how bad my anxiety was. These days it is manageable, and I even managed to get a job when before I could hardly leave my room let alone the house. Honestly facing your fears is the only way. I wish I could tell you of some magic cure, but the only way to fix and learn to cope with your anxiety is to face it and push yourself out of your comfort zone. I know it's hard, and uncomfortable, but it's the only way. Put yourself in uncomfortable situations (social anxiety wise), and use CBT to help you cope. If you haven't already, go and see your GP and explain your issues, also there are plenty of online resources for CBT and exposure therapy.
If you put in the work and start facing your fears, pushing your comfort zone, challenging your negative beliefs and replacing them with realistic thoughts, be consistent even when you fail, you will be more able to cope with your anxiety in September. It won't go away, it's anxiety, we all have it, but it will be better than it is now.
Good luck from a fellow social anxiety sufferer.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice and kind words :smile:
Original post by A.m.y
Honestly facing your fears is the only way. I wish I could tell you of some magic cure, but the only way to fix and learn to cope with your anxiety is to face it and push yourself out of your comfort zone.

This. I've dealt with social anxiety since I was fairly young. I started and dropped out of college a number of times (usually within days) because I couldn't handle it, before finally ending up doing Access in 2011. It helped me massively.

I agree with A.m.y. The only way it's going to get more manageable is by pushing yourself and taking those baby steps (while making sure you get support in the meantime). Not going to lie, the presentations/public speaking was difficult (I only had to do it twice), but doing it made me so much more confident. After finishing the course, I was able to leave home, and went off to uni without looking back. I still have to deal with SA, but honestly, if I hadn't done it I'd still be trapped in my own head, unable to do any of the things I want to do. Access changed my life, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

One last thing - I found that, with lots of people on the course having been out of education for years (sometimes decades) I most definitely wasn't the only one who had problems with certain situations. Many people were terrified having to attend classes again, having to write essays for the first time, and having to speak in front of people. Obviously not everyone will be coming from the same place as you, but if your course is anything like mine was there will be plenty of solidarity from coursemates.

Best of luck whatever you decide! Feel free to PM if you have any questions etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I struggled on my teaching course because of SA but I'm taking some time out to gain more classroom experience and build my confidence. I will never give up I'll never let SA ruin my dreams. I will keep on trying to fight it and hopefully become stronger.
Nope you can absolutely do it. Some good advice above on cbt or nsl treatments to help you cope. You might dip your toe in the water bu doing things like voluntary work which cna help increase your confidence.

Honestly students arent scary and you shouldnt worry. prepare well, know your stuff and youll be ahead of most people. Dont let it deter you, bit of confidence and focus plus some of the CBT or NSL will help.

There are plenty of charities that can help: where you cna make contact with the same issue as well as helplines.

http://www.social-anxiety.org.uk/
https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/
http://www.nopanic.org.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending