Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe that you cant help who you fall in love with... Watch

Announcements

and has this lead you to fall in love with someone you didn't mean to?

I think we often confuse lust with love. Lust is rather instinctive. You see someone. You fancy them. You want them. Love is much more subtle and complex than lust and generally comes when you really bond with someone.

People who confuse lust with love are just really dim tbh. It's like science vs mythology, you only lust after them because they are like a damn unicorn, if you got to know them and analysed the facts you wouldn't feel like that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in love at first sight (though i do believe in something more than lust at first sight - I've felt it myself) so the answer is that yes, by avoiding somebody you can generally avoid the release of Oxytocen which encourages feelings of love however you can't help knowing that somebody you've met or seen goes beyond the standard 'i want to have sex with her'..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    People who confuse lust with love are just really dim tbh. It's like science vs mythology, you only lust after them because they are like a damn unicorn, if you got to know them and analysed the facts you wouldn't feel like that.
    That's an interesting way of putting it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in love at first sight but i believe you cant help who you fall in love with. I've only experienced 'love' once while I've had other relationships i wouldn't really call the love. I've experienced the toxic kind of love where no matter what the person has done you still want to be with them and forgive them in a heartbeat. Its hard to get over someone like that.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am in love (not lust, love) however they are straight, so I would say that you can't help who you fall in love with. It is just fate/karma being a ***** if you fall in love with someone you can't have

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can't help who you fall for.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think love itself is a conscious choice but many people seem to believe that they're in love with random people they meet which is impossible, lust at first sight but love grows.

(Original post by Blondie987)
    I don't think love itself is a conscious choice but many people seem to believe that they're in love with random people they meet which is impossible, lust at first sight but love grows.
    I actually disagree with this also, what attracts someone in the beginning may not be a conscious choice, but the more spiritual kind of love that remains in crisis (loss of a child, recession) is a conscious choice, it is not erotic or mental, it is spiritual because the person transcends their body and values. I am reminded by the words of Enoch Powell in response to Thatcher on whether or not this country would be defended if it were communist
    ‘No, Prime Minister, values exist in a transcendental realm, beyond space and time. They can neither be fought for, nor destroyed'

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.