Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Imperial College- Computing- Online test Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I have been invited to take an online test which will contain a number of mathematical and problem solving questions.
    I am an international applicant and don't do A Level Maths.
    I want to know what sort of questions will be there in the test?
    Is it based on A Level Maths or Further Maths? Are the questions similar to the STEP or MAT?

Any advice or tips will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I believe the test will cover maths topics covered in year 12 (at AS-level), and problem solving questions where you have to apply algorithms (or a better term systematic thinking skills) to solve problems at a given situation.

Maths topics covered at AS-level include functions, limits, basic calculus (differentiation, integration, and common results), graph sketching, combinations and permutations, trigonometry, series (arithmetic, geometric, maybe infinite series), and more which I can't really classify. I would suggest reading the spec. of GCE mathematics from Edexcel (a UK exam board) to get an idea - focus on C1, C2, and FP1 (AS-level), and then if you feel comfortable move on to C3, C4 and FP2 (A2-level for year 13s).
    (Link: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...hs_Issue_3.pdf)

The question style is different from A-levels as well as STEP/MAT - I'd say it is somewhere in between, closer to STEP/MAT side. The people in the department is interested on HOW you solve the problem, but not what you get as a result, so do not just write the resultant expression if you know the answer, spell out your thoughts - write down your working. This applies (or is more important) for problem solving.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liu.chbn)
    Hi there,

I believe the test will cover maths topics covered in year 12 (at AS-level), and problem solving questions where you have to apply algorithms (or a better term systematic thinking skills) to solve problems at a given situation.

Maths topics covered at AS-level include functions, limits, basic calculus (differentiation, integration, and common results), graph sketching, combinations and permutations, trigonometry, series (arithmetic, geometric, maybe infinite series), and more which I can't really classify. I would suggest reading the spec. of GCE mathematics from Edexcel (a UK exam board) to get an idea - focus on C1, C2, and FP1 (AS-level), and then if you feel comfortable move on to C3, C4 and FP2 (A2-level for year 13s).
    (Link: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...hs_Issue_3.pdf)

The question style is different from A-levels as well as STEP/MAT - I'd say it is somewhere in between, closer to STEP/MAT side. The people in the department is interested on HOW you solve the problem, but not what you get as a result, so do not just write the resultant expression if you know the answer, spell out your thoughts - write down your working. This applies (or is more important) for problem solving.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much. This helps a lot

ReputationRep:
    So how was the test? What type of questions were asked?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.