The Student Room Group

PhD Offers: Accept, then Reject?

Hello Forum

I've just completed the process of submitting applications to various UK university departments and funding bodies to undertake a PhD in History in 2016. I've applied to 6 departments, and have so far heard back from 3 - all offers. However, the various internal/external funding panels won't announce their decisions for a few months (the earliest is the end of February, the latest the end of July).

What is the protocol on accepting departmental (or, if lucky, funding) offers that I might later reject? Like all of us I have preferences in terms of where I have applied. I'm reluctant to accept offers (especially funding offers) for a place I might end up rejecting, because this might annoy or offend potential supervisors. Also, in some cases it is unclear whether accepting an offer entails a legal contract to pay the fees?

It would be great to hear some of your experiences.

JD
Reply 1
Original post by JDPreston
I've just completed the process of submitting applications to various UK university departments and funding bodies to undertake a PhD in History in 2016. I've applied to 6 departments, and have so far heard back from 3 - all offers. However, the various internal/external funding panels won't announce their decisions for a few months (the earliest is the end of February, the latest the end of July).

What is the protocol on accepting departmental (or, if lucky, funding) offers that I might later reject? Like all of us I have preferences in terms of where I have applied. I'm reluctant to accept offers (especially funding offers) for a place I might end up rejecting, because this might annoy or offend potential supervisors. Also, in some cases it is unclear whether accepting an offer entails a legal contract to pay the fees?

In my experience potential supervisors usually understand that offer dates don't all neatly match up, and are particularly understanding if funding's involved—most academics know very well how funding drives research and won't blame a student for accepting an unfunded offer and then withdrawing later because they received an offer of funding elsewhere. You might annoy someone if you withdrew from studying with them in order to take up an opportunity which wasn't competitive with their offer, like turning down funding at one place to work without funding elsewhere. But otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm no lawyer but my understanding is that most PhD offer acceptances aren't contracts, and universities usually send a separate contract much later. That's my experience, at least.
Reply 2
Hello QHR

Thank you for your message and useful advice. Yes I think you are right about accepting departmental offers - supervisors definitely understand if these offers are later rejected due to being unable to secure a corresponding offer of funding.

My main fear would be accepting funding from one department, only to then receive a funded offer from a department that is a better fit for my research. With the scarcity of funding in the Humanities, it would be hard to reject an early funding offer simply in the hope of securing funding from a preferred department at a later date.

JD
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
It is something that happens fairly frequently, and people understand it. Some better, some worse. Of course it is a little bit awkward but nothing unheard of. I have done it too. There are usually no legal obligations.
While there are no legal obligations, how the situation is handled and how you communicate will affect whether you piss people off or not. I suggest you contact the unis you've had offers from and ask when they need to know by. If they're flexible then only reply after you've had your funding offers and decided. If they have a deadline you're kind of stuck with replying and then possibly rejecting the offer.
I would accept as indeed I did, but I've always been a selfish b*****d and not cared about annoying people's feelings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending