Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anti-missile systems and Trident Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If the EU has fully developed an anti-missile system, then is Trident a threat to our national security?

Eg if Trident is fired on a human population and the world knows it, then won't we then be invaded by a coalition?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    If the EU has fully developed an anti-missile system, then is Trident a threat to our national security?

Eg if Trident is fired on a human population and the world knows it, then won't we then be invaded by a coalition?
    Our strategic doctrine is defensive, we would never fire as an act of aggression. Good luck putting together a coalition of the willing in those circumstances.

The EU would be unlikely to ever develop a functioning anti missile system. I'm unsure of the purpose of your hypothetical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

As far as I'm aware, the only 2 nations with anti ballistic missile systems are the USA and Russia. I don't think anybody knows how effective these really are. They might be able to stop a single or small number of missiles but they wouldn't be able to to stop an all out assault.
    The system being built in Europe is actually an American shield. Anyways, last I checked we were a member of the EU so it doesn't matter really anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I like how one of your points just does not follow the other.

If I eat fish today will the sky fall down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiBabylonista)
    I like how one of your points just does not follow the other.

If I eat fish today will the sky fall down?
    Sorry I often make the assumption that people are capable of deductive reasoning.
    1) EU has anti-missile system.
    2) RoW (Rest of World) acquires anti-missile systems.
    3) Trident fires.
    4) RoW detect it.
    5) RoW invade us.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I often make the assumption that people are capable of deductive reasoning.
    1) EU has anti-missile system.
    2) RoW (Rest of World) acquires anti-missile systems.
    3) Trident fires.
    4) RoW detect it.
    5) RoW invade us.
    If we were to fire nuclear weapons, I think the rest of the world would know regardless of whether they have anti-missile systems.

Equally I'm sure a decision on whether to invade would be based on the circumstances of our firing of the missiles as opposed to a random invasion being launched.

If you're going to talk to me in such a patronising manner, at least pretend to have a level of intelligence befitting the tone.

ReputationRep:
    My irony meter just exploded. The reason why the person had trouble with your initial post because it is nigh upon unintelligible gibberish. Hard to apply deductive reasoning to gobbledygook.

ReputationRep:
    Several nations have anti-ballistic defense - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missil...ems_by_country

Chances are that if the EU or US launched a nuclear attack on another nation, they are more likely to be nuked themselves by one of the other nuclear weapons states, than be invaded.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.