Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got an interview/UCAS. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Basically this is kind of a long story, i'm in my first year of uni and i am reapplying through UCAS so i can get into a better university for this September. I am resitting several exams this summer so i can get better grades, because of this , this meant i had to apply through UCAS with poor grades, so i am mostly putting my trust on clearing this summer, hoping i will get better grades so i can get into a good uni.

In order to send off my application in January though, i had to enter 5 universities i just chose the ones which were within my (bad) amount of UCAS points. One of the courses i chose was English Lit (foundation year) at the Uni of Essex. So this is my problem, today i got an email back saying that i accidentally applied for a International course instead of the UK one, but they were going to 'review' my application for the (UK) course and invite me for an interview. I'm worried now because i hadn't expected to even get into the 5 unis i applied to , i was mostly banking on going through clearing with my summer grades. I've never had a uni interview before, i'm not sure if Essex is the one i definitely want to go to and i just looked at the website now and the grades they put down for the course (they are considering me for) are ABB/BBB...Im not really sure what to do now I'm likely not going to make the grades anyway.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cygne)
    Hi,
    Basically this is kind of a long story, i'm in my first year of uni and i am reapplying through UCAS so i can get into a better university for this September. I am resitting several exams this summer so i can get better grades, because of this , this meant i had to apply through UCAS with poor grades, so i am mostly putting my trust on clearing this summer, hoping i will get better grades so i can get into a good uni.

In order to send off my application in January though, i had to enter 5 universities i just chose the ones which were within my (bad) amount of UCAS points. One of the courses i chose was English Lit (foundation year) at the Uni of Essex. So this is my problem, today i got an email back saying that i accidentally applied for a International course instead of the UK one, but they were going to 'review' my application for the (UK) course and invite me for an interview. I'm worried now because i hadn't expected to even get into the 5 unis i applied to , i was mostly banking on going through clearing with my summer grades. I've never had a uni interview before, i'm not sure if Essex is the one i definitely want to go to and i just looked at the website now and the grades they put down for the course (they are considering me for) are ABB/BBB...Im not really sure what to do now I'm likely not going to make the grades anyway.
    Have you considered how you ll fund a foundation year? Did you put your predicted grades for your current university course on your application as although yes you dont have the a level grades, the fact you d have a year of university under your belt could have made them feel like your application was stronger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Have you considered how you ll fund a foundation year? Did you put your predicted grades for your current university course on your application as although yes you dont have the a level grades, the fact you d have a year of university under your belt could have made them feel like your application was stronger.
    Well, the course the degree they are asking me to an interview for, hasn't got a foundation year, its just a normal 3 year degree, I asked my old a level tutor to but my a level predicted grades on my application. Ah okay thank you.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cygne)
    Well, the course the degree they are asking me to an interview for, hasn't got a foundation year, its just a normal 3 year degree, I asked my old a level tutor to but my a level predicted grades on my application. Ah okay thank you.
    Oh i see, have you put your current university on your ucas application ? No harm in going to the interview if you did want to attend that university, i m not sure if you'd met the eligibility criteria for adjustment if you wanted to change though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh i see, have you put your current university on your ucas application ? No harm in going to the interview if you did want to attend that university, i m not sure if you'd met the eligibility criteria for adjustment if you wanted to change though.
    Yes i put my current uni on the application but because im only going to be there for one year im not sure it will mean much to them, im not sure what you mean, if i accepted 2 of the offers by may, and then, got the better grades, could i still choose to go through clearing? Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cygne)
    Yes i put my current uni on the application but because im only going to be there for one year im not sure it will mean much to them, im not sure what you mean, if i accepted 2 of the offers by may, and then, got the better grades, could i still choose to go through clearing? Thanks
    A year of uni gets you a certhe which should help with your application. You could go through clearing but you d have to ask to be released which takes time so is pretty risky.

ReputationRep:
    A year of uni gets you a certhe which should help with your application. You could go through clearing but you d have to ask to be released which takes time so is pretty risky.
    Ah i didnt think of that. So would i be better to just not accept any of the offers by May? Or accept and then asked to be released? Thanks for the info.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cygne)
    Ah i didnt think of that. So would i be better to just not accept any of the offers by May? Or accept and then asked to be released? Thanks for the info.
    It depends how much of a risk you want to take, do you think you d want to go to anywhere you might have an offer from at all?

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much of a risk you want to take, do you think you d want to go to anywhere you might have an offer from at all?
    I don't think so no, the (4 other) unis i applied to , i applied with my poor ( a level predicted) grades, and because of that they aren't really great unis. The essex course I've just been offered sounds good (ABB grades needed) but i doubt i will get those grades or the interview will be that great, so i'm not sure it will be worth it for just one uni, i think i need to find out more about Essex before i decide.
    Thanks for your help.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cygne)
    I don't think so no, the (4 other) unis i applied to , i applied with my poor ( a level predicted) grades, and because of that they aren't really great unis. The essex course I've just been offered sounds good (ABB grades needed) but i doubt i will get those grades or the interview will be that great, so i'm not sure it will be worth it for just one uni, i think i need to find out more about Essex before i decide.
    Thanks for your help.
    You won't lose anything giving the interview a go, if that doesn't work out then I think you should use clearing.

ReputationRep:
    You won't lose anything giving the interview a go, if that doesn't work out then I think you should use clearing.
    So i should do the interview, then if i dont get any offers go straight into clearing? Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cygne)
    So i should do the interview, then if i dont get any offers go straight into clearing? Thanks
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cygne)
    Thanks for your help.
    Hiya! I'm a final year student at Essex, and to be completely honest with you, I didnt make the the ABB to get in, but I was still given the place I was offered. It is important to try hard and get the best grades you can, but showing that you have a passion for what you want to study is also very important! I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the uni, and I wish you the best with whatever you decide!

^Sharmila

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharmila_Student)
    Hiya! I'm a final year student at Essex, and to be completely honest with you, I didnt make the the ABB to get in, but I was still given the place I was offered. It is important to try hard and get the best grades you can, but showing that you have a passion for what you want to study is also very important! I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the uni, and I wish you the best with whatever you decide!

^Sharmila
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response, if i can think of anything soon i'll ask you.
    Thank You

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.