Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do people generally consider as MM subjects? Any particular one that you want to talk about? I don't want to do a subject that is considered to be MM coz it'd be a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    David Beckham Studies! :rolleyes: - I've been reliably informed that it does exist! (Or I'm extremely gullible!)

ReputationRep:
    You are gullible. We've had about 100 threads like this one. Just use the search option...

ReputationRep:
    None really. There are is more than enough room in the system to have a diverse range of subjects

ReputationRep:
    People making micky mouse subjects isn't really productive to be honest. How can you know what is mickey mouse unless you have studied it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    People making micky mouse subjects isn't really productive to be honest. How can you know what is mickey mouse unless you have studied it yourself?
    I would have to agree. To me something like Philosophy is a load of intellectual bs which isn't any different from David Beckham studies. But then again I know nothing about Philosophy so I couldn't possibly presume to be judge and jury

I'm sure most people think what I do is fixed cars and washing machines all day :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dude_)
    What do people generally consider as MM subjects? Any particular one that you want to talk about? I don't want to do a subject that is considered to be MM coz it'd be a waste of time.
    How about you do what you're interested in, even if it is a mickey mouse subject? You have to put up with it for three years, no point in doing english/history/maths if you don't enjoy it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    David Beckham Studies! :rolleyes: - I've been reliably informed that it does exist! (Or I'm extremely gullible!)
    Yummy! I did the wrong degree

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is the best subject i have ever done... and is by far the most challenging of all, including I.T, Business, and History. So dont assume just because u dont know anything about it, that there is nothing to learn!

It is definetly not a mickey mouse subject, i have three folders full of work for it and three text books.

ive finished ranting now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    How about you do what you're interested in, even if it is a mickey mouse subject? You have to put up with it for three years, no point in doing english/history/maths if you don't enjoy it...
    COULDN'T AGREE MORE... totally with you on that. i was determined to do something like history at oxbridge, just because i felt it was the right thing to do, and what was expected of me as a straight A student etc... but thats a stupid reason to chose your course. i have now found a really interesting media course at a former poly... and am really excited about going. reading round and stuff will be much easier and i will hopefully do far more than just pass - i will actually gain a lot from it as i will be enthusiastic about what i am studying.

ReputationRep:
    Very simple - there IS NOT any mickymouse subject, each has their ownmerits etc. Please search too im sick of these threads now. I appreciate newbies brininging them up but i've been here nearly a year and ive heard it so many times.

ReputationRep:
    general studies is a mickey mouse subject no question.

ReputationRep:
    I think each degree whatever the subject has its own good and bad points. There are things like a degree in logic that I don't understand though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirbz)
    I think each degree whatever the subject has its own good and bad points. There are things like a degree in logic that I don't understand though...
    I always assumed logic is somthing that cannot be taught as such, you can be taught how to apply it, i.e maths, but you can't be taught logic as such. I think you're born with it.

You can be taught methods but thats somthing different as somebody else has done the logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dude_)
    A MM degree in my opinion is a degree that most people would find fun. It won't help you get a job, it's easy and it causes arguments between supporters of the subject and non-supporters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dude_)
    What do people generally consider as MM subjects? Any particular one that you want to talk about? I don't want to do a subject that is considered to be MM coz it'd be a waste of time&.
    There is no such thing as a "mickey mouse" subject, especially at A level, that's ridiculous. Some people may find a particular subject easier than others, but it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone finds it easy.

I would suggest sticking to subjects that you're good at. At the end of the day, it's the grade that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    At the end of the day, it's the grade that counts.
    I would contend that Maths/Sciences have more respect that others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I would contend that Maths/Sciences have more respect that others.
    I'm not doing maths or sciences are my subjects are not "mickey mouse"

ReputationRep:
    Although there are no mickey mouse courses at A-level, there are certianly courses that are perceived to be so. I was always good at Maths and the Sciences but opted to take subjects I found interesting at the time (inc Media) now I'm looking to take Economics at a 'good' uni, I'm seeing alot of them e.g. oxbridge/LSE are quite against applicants taking these subjects. Fortunately for me, I don't want to be going to oxbridge anyway and am wanting to leave london so LSE is not an option anyway and I should be able to get an offer for my unis provided I get the grades as I took Maths anyway.

ReputationRep:
    MM subjects are:

- Media
    - Film Studies
    - General Studies
    - Business Studies

(I am talking about A-Level's)

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.