This discussion is closed.
dude_
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
What do people generally consider as MM subjects? Any particular one that you want to talk about? I don't want to do a subject that is considered to be MM coz it'd be a waste of time.
Wasp39
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
David Beckham Studies! :rolleyes: - I've been reliably informed that it does exist! (Or I'm extremely gullible!)
[email protected]
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You are gullible. We've had about 100 threads like this one. Just use the search option...
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
None really. There are is more than enough room in the system to have a diverse range of subjects
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
People making micky mouse subjects isn't really productive to be honest. How can you know what is mickey mouse unless you have studied it yourself?
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
People making micky mouse subjects isn't really productive to be honest. How can you know what is mickey mouse unless you have studied it yourself?
I would have to agree. To me something like Philosophy is a load of intellectual bs which isn't any different from David Beckham studies. But then again I know nothing about Philosophy so I couldn't possibly presume to be judge and jury

I'm sure most people think what I do is fixed cars and washing machines all day :cool:
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dude_)
What do people generally consider as MM subjects? Any particular one that you want to talk about? I don't want to do a subject that is considered to be MM coz it'd be a waste of time.
How about you do what you're interested in, even if it is a mickey mouse subject? You have to put up with it for three years, no point in doing english/history/maths if you don't enjoy it...
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PhilipGarsed)
David Beckham Studies! :rolleyes: - I've been reliably informed that it does exist! (Or I'm extremely gullible!)
Yummy! I did the wrong degree
Mad_Monkey59
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Philosophy is the best subject i have ever done... and is by far the most challenging of all, including I.T, Business, and History. So dont assume just because u dont know anything about it, that there is nothing to learn!

It is definetly not a mickey mouse subject, i have three folders full of work for it and three text books.

ive finished ranting now
fifi53
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
How about you do what you're interested in, even if it is a mickey mouse subject? You have to put up with it for three years, no point in doing english/history/maths if you don't enjoy it...
COULDN'T AGREE MORE... totally with you on that. i was determined to do something like history at oxbridge, just because i felt it was the right thing to do, and what was expected of me as a straight A student etc... but thats a stupid reason to chose your course. i have now found a really interesting media course at a former poly... and am really excited about going. reading round and stuff will be much easier and i will hopefully do far more than just pass - i will actually gain a lot from it as i will be enthusiastic about what i am studying.
Fairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Very simple - there IS NOT any mickymouse subject, each has their ownmerits etc. Please search too im sick of these threads now. I appreciate newbies brininging them up but i've been here nearly a year and ive heard it so many times.
Mad_Monkey59
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
general studies is a mickey mouse subject no question.
kirbz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think each degree whatever the subject has its own good and bad points. There are things like a degree in logic that I don't understand though...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kirbz)
I think each degree whatever the subject has its own good and bad points. There are things like a degree in logic that I don't understand though...
I always assumed logic is somthing that cannot be taught as such, you can be taught how to apply it, i.e maths, but you can't be taught logic as such. I think you're born with it.

You can be taught methods but thats somthing different as somebody else has done the logic.
Pencil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dude_)
A MM degree in my opinion is a degree that most people would find fun. It won't help you get a job, it's easy and it causes arguments between supporters of the subject and non-supporters.
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dude_)
What do people generally consider as MM subjects? Any particular one that you want to talk about? I don't want to do a subject that is considered to be MM coz it'd be a waste of time&.
There is no such thing as a "mickey mouse" subject, especially at A level, that's ridiculous. Some people may find a particular subject easier than others, but it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone finds it easy.

I would suggest sticking to subjects that you're good at. At the end of the day, it's the grade that counts.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Cellardore)
At the end of the day, it's the grade that counts.
I would contend that Maths/Sciences have more respect that others.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I would contend that Maths/Sciences have more respect that others.
I'm not doing maths or sciences are my subjects are not "mickey mouse"
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Although there are no mickey mouse courses at A-level, there are certianly courses that are perceived to be so. I was always good at Maths and the Sciences but opted to take subjects I found interesting at the time (inc Media) now I'm looking to take Economics at a 'good' uni, I'm seeing alot of them e.g. oxbridge/LSE are quite against applicants taking these subjects. Fortunately for me, I don't want to be going to oxbridge anyway and am wanting to leave london so LSE is not an option anyway and I should be able to get an offer for my unis provided I get the grades as I took Maths anyway.
Machine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
MM subjects are:

- Media
- Film Studies
- General Studies
- Business Studies

(I am talking about A-Level's)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (61)
52.14%
Yes, but I want to swap them (10)
8.55%
No, but I know who I want to choose (14)
11.97%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (29)
24.79%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (3)
2.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed