The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
media studies and history is nothing and I mean nothing, compared to the like of physics(especially), chemistry and mathematics
Reply 41
Tripple
media studies and history is nothing and I mean nothing, compared to the like of physics(especially), chemistry and mathematics

You can't group History and Media together, whether they are "nothing" compared to Science, which is what all scientists say, the job prospect with a good History degree are very good.
Reply 42
Tripple

For the vast bulk of people this would be true. It’s especially true for mediocre students that Physics is far more difficult than History. At university level, people who’re very good at Physics/Maths tend to do exceptionally well, people who are not so good tend to quite literally fail the entire thing. So what you often get is a large number of people who flunk the degree, and yet at the same time a relatively high number of people who are genuinely good at what they’re doing and are able to obtain a good first class degree.

For History, Politics, Law, Philosophy and the like, there is no significant failure rate, most of the students perform somewhere near a happy midway mark. From this, you may, and many ignorant people do, conclude that it’s because these are easier at university level. You would be very wrong to assume this. What I suggest you do is look at the top departments in each other these, and look at the number of people who are able to achieve a first class degree, it’s usually a far lower percentage than Maths and the Sciences. It’s not uncommon for there to only be a handful of people out of a hundred who are awarded either a first class degree in the Arts/SocSci, or especially a Masters level distinction.

So, yes, if your ambitions are solely concentrated upon either passing your degree or getting an average second class honours, you could say that Sciences/Maths are ‘harder’, as the percentages for such results are usually lower. However, if you’re a first rate student who is looking for nothing other than a first class degree from a reputable university, I can assure you it’s far from ‘Mickey Mouse’ finishing within the top 5/10% of your department in History, Politics, Philosophy, English or Law. There's an immense stack of people with a fairly high level of ability, coming into university with very high grade A's in a mixture of traditional academic subjects who are unable on such 'Mickey Mouse' degrees to get anywhere even remotely near the top 5/10% needed to gain a first. Infact many of such people know during their first few months of university that such an achievement is going to be nothing more than an unrealistic dream.
Lord Huntroyde
You can't group History and Media together, whether they are "nothing" compared to Science, which is what all scientists say, the job prospect with a good History degree are very good.

Exactly, since when was History, a respected academic discipline, a mickey mouse subject?!?! I'd flunk history if I did it.
history is hard, enlightening, useful, fascinating. Please don't slag it off.
Reply 45
history is deff NOT a so called micky mouse subject!! :smile:
to be honest,im sick of being told my subjects arent good enough, im doing
english
history
german
media
(and g.s but only coz forced!)
im doing these subjects because i feel they are my strengths and most importantly, i enjoy them. if others choose to view them as mickey mouse subjects then fine.
i was even actually told by a teacher that i was "too clever" to be doing the subjects ive chosen and i shud of done sciences! well sorry, but i dont think you can be too clever for any of the subjects im doing! i hate science and would not of surrvived any more years doing it!
just do what you enjoy, stuff everyone who tells you not to!
ana xxx
Reply 46
Don't really know where all the idea that History is not a worthwhile subject came from. I was trying to show that a subjects worth is entirely dependent on what you want to do with it and what you want in the future. Due to the fact that the poster who felt they had the definitive opinion on wothwhile subjects did not reply to my question I hope that they realise what a pathetic attempt at intellectual snobbery calling any disipline a "mickey mouse" subject is.

To the poster who had a rant against general studies...why is it so easy? I know INCREDIBLY intelligent science students who could not get a top grade at AS due to them being unable to construct a sound argument in essasy format. Surely if a subject challenges these people into improving in some way then does it not have at least some worth?:confused:
Tripple

Stop talking so much crap. Firstly how can you even start to compare a Science and as Art subject? They examine completely different skills and by different parts of the brain.
Reply 48
Cellardore
Stop talking so much crap. Firstly how can you even start to compare a Science and as Art subject? They examine completely different skills and by different parts of the brain.

Argh yes but Tripple knows what he is talking about after all he is doing the sciences :biggrin:

Don't worry people like Tripple can spout as much as they want, but really we are just taking the mick out of them for being so dumb:smile:
amazingtrade
Argh yes but Tripple knows what he is talking about after all he is doing the sciences :biggrin:

Don't worry people like Tripple can spout as much as they want, but really we are just taking the mick out of them for being so dumb:smile:

But does he take any Art subjects? er...i don't think so! :biggrin:
Reply 50
Cellardore
But does he take any Art subjects? er...i don't think so! :biggrin:

Thats exactly my point. Like you say scienbce and arts require two different things.
amazingtrade
Thats exactly my point. Like you say scienbce and arts require two different things.

Unless you do an intermediate discipline like economics, lots of logic invovled. And not much to learn... :biggrin:
Reply 52
Mysticmin
Unless you do an intermediate discipline like economics, lots of logic invovled. And not much to learn... :biggrin:

Screw being intermediate, my method is to gound myself in a solid science foundation of maths, computing, physics and electronics THEN pick a random arts subject to make my parents happy. :biggrin:
Leekey
Screw being intermediate, my method is to gound myself in a solid science foundation of maths, computing, physics and electronics THEN pick a random arts subject to make my parents happy. :biggrin:

Nah both my parents are scientists, engineer and chemist respectively. Arts? What are arts, is their answer to everything :rolleyes:
Reply 54
* thread hijacking *

Shiny for mod! :cool:

* oops did I say that? *
Reply 55
shiny
* thread hijacking *

* oops did I say that? *

Were at least vaguely close to the thread topic. :wink:
Reply 56
shiny
* thread hijacking *

* oops did I say that? *

When I take over this forum, I currently have £20 in my pot fund, so by 2023 I should have enough money to buy it I will make you mod.:tongue:
Reply 57
Leekey
Were at least vaguely close to the thread topic. :wink:

Ahhh ... but you are still an apprentice in the dark art of thread hijacking and being able to send out bolts of random gibberish!
shiny
* thread hijacking *

* oops did I say that? *

:biggrin: Am with you there...first UKL, next world domination :cool:
I found Physics quite easy when I did it, got an A with very little work. To me it seemed that if you did Maths, an A in Physics was just an added bonus.

Latest

Trending

Trending