Mickey Mouse Subjects Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Is it just me or do a lot of people do f maths, maths, physics and economics...
BazTheMoney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, I did French and English Literature too.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BazTheMoney)
I found Physics quite easy when I did it, got an A with very little work. To me it seemed that if you did Maths, an A in Physics was just an added bonus.
Pretty much the same for my History grade, I've written 2 essays in 2 years and am lokking at a B at A2 (the A is out of reach but...ohh well)!!! :rolleyes:
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
I didn't do Egonomics
S1M
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im guilty of that too
but my fmaths is only AS and I did AS chemistry
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
I didn't do Egonomics
You are not quite everyone I am afraid you still count as only one person in my informal census.

I still maintain economics A-level is easier than physics.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I just found this, which I would be interested to see what people like Gnostic have to say about:

http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/caffairs/203jun3.htm
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by S1M)
im guilty of that too
but my fmaths is only AS and I did AS chemistry
i'm AS f maths, AS biology
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I just found this, which I would be interested to see what people like Gnostic have to say about:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
S1M
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I still maintain economics A-level is easier than physics.
well maybe for you... but for a level economics becomes more about englishy skills... and with the essays in the sypnoptic; imo its harder than physics... so far all my physics modules (4/4) have been As but in my economics modules i got only 3/5 As in the modules i have done so far... I put roughly equal effort into both so economics is harder for me
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by S1M)
well maybe for you... but for a level economics becomes more about englishy skills... and with the essays in the sypnoptic; imo its harder than physics... so far all my physics modules (4/4) have been As but in my economics modules i got only 3/5 As in the modules i have done so far... I put roughly equal effort into both so economics is harder for me
Hmm, my economics marks were all higher than my physics marks, despite me putting in more effort into physics than economics. however this is AS so I stand to be corrected. Actually as far as homwork's concerned it's that relationship as well...
Logarithm
Report 14 years ago
In my opinion I feel that these are respected subjects (not in order):

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
English Literature
French
History
Geography
Computing
Economics

Someone in this thread said that history is a mickey mouse subject - That is the most weird/stupid idea ever, it's extremely well respected!
S1M
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm, my economics marks were all higher than my physics marks, despite me putting in more effort into physics than economics. however this is AS so I stand to be corrected.
i suppose... with different examining boards... its not really easy to make a comparison like this... i do ocr economics... sypnoptic was a dead hard... only needed 61% in it for an A (i should have retaken other eco exams some ppl only needed 47% in it!!!) but i dont think ill make it
edexcel physics, IMO has been kind of piss easy so far... well sypnoptic is a bit challenging... but other than that the other 5 modules are like a walk through the park
Logarithm
Report 14 years ago
Hmm, my economics marks were all higher than my physics marks, despite me putting in more effort into physics than economics. however this is AS so I stand to be corrected. Actually as far as homwork's concerned it's that relationship as well...
What about your Maths marks, how do they compare?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Logarithm)
In my opinion I feel that these are respected subjects (not in order):

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
English Literature
French
History
Geography
Computing
Economics

Someone in this thread said that history is a mickey mouse subject - That is the most weird/stupid idea ever, it's extremely well respected!
LOL....just....LOL :rolleyes:
fifi53
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)

glad someone finally quoted that report here. that isnt the only study to have found that media studies has the highest employability/further studies rate over all subjects (and that is employed in graduate fields), which i think is impressive.

(this thread is really funny to read - theres so much pretentious garbage in it. doing physics doesnt make you intelligent, and it certainly doesnt make you an intersting person. long live general studies!!!)
d750
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fifi53)
glad someone finally quoted that report here. that isnt the only study to have found that media studies has the highest employability/further studies rate over all subjects (and that is employed in graduate fields), which i think is impressive.

(this thread is really funny to read - theres so much pretentious garbage in it. doing physics doesnt make you intelligent, and it certainly doesnt make you an intersting person. long live general studies!!!)
Vocational, non-university courses have very good employment rates. Media studies shouldn't necessarily be a degree course.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by d750)
Vocational, non-university courses have very good employment rates. Media studies shouldn't necessarily be a degree course.

Why not? How does one determine what should/n't be a degree course?
Friday's Child
Report 14 years ago
A lot of people try to tell me music is a mickey mouse subject. That really annoys me. I do 4 A-levels (English literature, French, music and law) and music is the most difficult of the lot. The essay part of the A-level involves just as much written work as any of my other subjects, and then there's the aural, composition and practical. The aural requires high levels of concentration and the ability to pick out the smallest things in the middle of a huge, complex piece of music, as well as being able to immediately say what key it starts in, what key it goes into etc. Compositional techniques are much more like a science than an art, or perhaps a language, because there are so many rules you have to follow and if you get it wrong the piece doesn't work. On top of that.....think how many hours you spend on a piece of coursework worth 30%. You may think you spend a long time on it, but compare that to an hour a day for 8 or 9 months working on your final performance (which lasts 20 minutes and you get one chance to get it right), other subjects seem trivial in terms of effort. In addition to all that, music is actually the only subject which uses both sides of your brain.

So why do people call it a mickey mouse subject?

Answer: because they are retards and don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, so are some admissions tutors.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Friday's Child)
So why do people call it a mickey mouse subject?

Answer: because they are retards and don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, so are some admissions tutors.
Er i disagree, I think they call it MM because they are not doing it.

Have you noticed most people say "I'm taking .............. , and it's not a MM subject". So really any subject you are not personally taking is MM.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1170)
79.38%
Leave (304)
20.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise