The Student Room Group

Philosophy MPhil/BPhil

Hello,

Anyone else applying for a two-year MPhil Philosophy course this year? Or the two-year Oxford BPhil?

I'm trying to gauge the competition. I'm currently studying Philosophy as an undergrad at the University of Edinburgh. I have an average of 78 accross all Honours-level courses; I've won five academic awards (including top performing junour honours, or third year, student); and my dissertation supervisor wants to get my dissertation published (I've attached a 5,000 word segment of it in support of the application).

I thought this was pretty strong. But I've just been rejected from UCL. Still waiting on responses from KCL, Oxford and Cambridge (the Cambridge course only lasts a year).

Thanks!
Hi Blair,

With an average of 78, I'd be surprised if you didn't get offers from some of the institutions you have applied to. I'm an undergraduate at KCL and got a place at UCL for the MPhil Stud, with a scholarship (Keeling). When I went for interview at UCL, I was told there were hundreds of applicants for the MPhil Stud for only eight places.

I've already accepted my place at UCL, in fact. The only other course I applied for was the MSt in Ancient Philosophy at Oxford. But given the scholarship I've been awarded (worth £45,000 over two years with direct access to the PhD), I'm not interested in whether or not Oxford want me.

Hope you get some good news soon from your other options!

L
Reply 2
Original post by Phaedrus8
Hi Blair,

With an average of 78, I'd be surprised if you didn't get offers from some of the institutions you have applied to. I'm an undergraduate at KCL and got a place at UCL for the MPhil Stud, with a scholarship (Keeling). When I went for interview at UCL, I was told there were hundreds of applicants for the MPhil Stud for only eight places.

I've already accepted my place at UCL, in fact. The only other course I applied for was the MSt in Ancient Philosophy at Oxford. But given the scholarship I've been awarded (worth £45,000 over two years with direct access to the PhD), I'm not interested in whether or not Oxford want me.

Hope you get some good news soon from your other options!

L

Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't realise there are so few places at UCL. Congratulations on getting in - especially with such a great scholarship. You must have been confident of getting in, though, if you only applied to two places? I thought four would be more than enough, but now I'm not so sure.
Original post by Blair1234
Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't realise there are so few places at UCL. Congratulations on getting in - especially with such a great scholarship. You must have been confident of getting in, though, if you only applied to two places? I thought four would be more than enough, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks! So, it might seem weird to have applied only to UCL and Oxford... I originally intended to apply to Cambridge and KCL as well, but I just wasn't as interested in their courses. I got my UCL offer before I'd even submitted my Oxford application, and so nearly didn't bother applying (but in the end I did, because at that point I didn't know I would also win the UCL scholarship). I knew my chances were quite good, because I know somebody who got accepted last year, and my academic record (including grades, and things like selected conference presentations and publications) was better than his. (He also got into Oxford, but didn't get a funding offer, whereas he did at UCL.) But I by no means took it for granted that I'd get a place. Nobody else in my cohort at KCL got a place, but that doesn't stop me from thinking they might get offers from Oxford (though the others in my year have applied for the BPhil and not the MSt - about three students). There are about three of us in my year group who are "strong" candidates, and I'd think there was something wrong with the world if the others didn't get places on these programmes. But you never know what will happen. Still, with an average of 78 you should be in with a really good chance at Ox/Cam/KCL. Good luck!!!
Do you mind me asking what your average was?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending