Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does a thicker wire mean more charge carriers in I = n A q V? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you have two wires A & B made of same material with A being twice as thick as B, when using the formula I = n A q V will the value of n and Q remain the same for both wires or will they change?

I think because the A wire is more thick it therefore has more valence electrons that can carry charge and therefore the number of charge carriers should increase compared to wire B. But i think i heard someone say that n & q remains constant and only A & V value changes.

ReputationRep:
    the free electrons ∝ volume of metal... so if twice as thick then twice as many free electrons.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jyashi)
    If you have two wires A & B made of same material with A being twice as thick as B, when using the formula I = n A q V will the value of n and Q remain the same for both wires or will they change?

I think because the A wire is more thick it therefore has more valence electrons that can carry charge and therefore the number of charge carriers should increase compared to wire B. But i think i heard someone say that n & q remains constant and only A & V value changes.
    The answer:

(Original post by the bear)
    the free electrons ∝ volume of metal... so if twice as thick then twice as many free electrons.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Not quite because surface area is a product function and volume is cubic. Hence doubling the diameter of a cylindrical cable will increase the surface area in the ratio of \pi (\frac{d}{2})^2 and the volume by L\pi(\frac{d}{2})^2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Not quite because surface area is a product function and volume is cubic. Hence doubling the diameter of a cylindrical cable will increase the surface area in the ratio of \pi (\frac{d}{2})^2 and the volume by L\pi(\frac{d}{2})^2
    but the charge carriers are inside the wire ?

so this would be like the number of currants in spotted ****... twice the volume, twice the currants.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    but the charge carriers are inside the wire ?

so this would be like the number of currants in spotted ****... twice the volume, twice the currants.
    Current is the rate of flow of charge.

The analogy with fluid being litres per second.

Resistance is a function of the cross sectional area of the conductor.

i.e. increase the c.s.a. and the volume of water needed to give the same flow rate (current) decreases accordingly with the fluid pressure (e.m.f.) remaining constant.

In your analogy that would be the number of currants from the spotted **** passing into a mouth per second - open the mouth wider and more currants get in per second without needing to push (pressure) them in faster.

ReputationRep:
    Current is the rate of flow of charge.

The analogy with fluid being litres per second.

Resistance is a function of the cross sectional area of the conductor.

i.e. increase the c.s.a. and the volume of water needed to give the same flow rate (current) decreases accordingly with the fluid pressure (e.m.f.) remaining constant.

In your analogy that would be the number of currants from the spotted **** passing into a mouth per second - open the mouth wider and more currants get in per second without needing to push (pressure) them in faster.
    thank you for that; there will be a limiting radius beyond which no more **** can be inserted whatever the pressure.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Da*** did I just read
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Da*** did I just read
    It's all in the best possible taste.

ReputationRep:
    I hope that pun was not intended

ReputationRep:
    You sick sick man!
    I like you

ReputationRep:
    free electrons / unit length ∝ cross-sectional area of the wire

double the thickness, you quadruple the cross-sectional area - so there's 4x as many free electrons.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I hope that pun was not intended

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.