Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am currently on my first year and I'm 24, which meant my parents income affected the amount I received, but when I start my second year I will be 25, will the amount I get be based on my own income for the second year because of my age?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DinViesel)
    So I am currently on my first year and I'm 24, which meant my parents income affected the amount I received, but when I start my second year I will be 25, will the amount I get be based on my own income for the second year because of my age?

Thank You
    No. Your funding status in your situation is determined solely by your age at the start of your degree. If you go over the age threshold during your course, that's irrelevant. You will always have been 24 when you started your course.

Unfortunately if this was an important factor, it would have been advisable to take a gap year and start when you were 25. Hindsight's a wonderful thing - sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    No. Your funding status in your situation is determined solely by your age at the start of your degree. If you go over the age threshold during your course, that's irrelevant. You will always have been 24 when you started your course.

Unfortunately if this was an important factor, it would have been advisable to take a gap year and start when you were 25. Hindsight's a wonderful thing - sorry.
    Quite late seeing your reply, thank you for taking the time to respond, despite the last part not really being needed. I am responding now just incase anyone else finds this looking for information, it did actually go by my age in the second year and only took my earnings into account. In hindsight, I probably should have just contacted student finance instead of coming here
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DinViesel)
    it did actually go by my age in the second year and only took my earnings into account. In hindsight, I probably should have just contacted student finance instead of coming here
    This is right. If you turn 25 during the year, you can't suddenly go independent during the year. But can do so the following year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.