More difficult to get a First class in Arts subjects? Watch

This discussion is closed.
the_alba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't say nigh on impossible - it's easy if you're good. But yes, you have a point. The flip-side is that while far fewer people get 1sts in Arts subjects, it's ridiculously hard to come away with less than a 2:1, if you read at least something during your degree and can write decent English.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cexy)
Which is exactly why employers understand that:

1. A degree from a top-ranking university is more impressive than a degree from a mid-table university,

2. A first in Mathematics or the sciences is impressive, but less impressive than a first in, say, Law, and

3. A 2.1 in an arts subject is less impressive than a 2.1 in a science subject.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dispute the idea that you have to be a real genius to get a 1st in maths/science. A lot of the time it really is just cram, cram, cram, exam... good mark. And I don't think you have to really understand the material that well either, provided you know what the model answers to questions look like. Remember that in undergraduate maths/physics, for eg, there are only so many 'examinable' questions that can be asked (given time constraints, you can't solve anything too ugly in 30 mins for eg)
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by edders)
I dispute the idea that you have to be a real genius to get a 1st in maths/science. A lot of the time it really is just cram, cram, cram, exam... good mark. And I don't think you have to really understand the material that well either, provided you know what the model answers to questions look like. Remember that in undergraduate maths/physics, for eg, there are only so many 'examinable' questions that can be asked (given time constraints, you can't solve anything too ugly in 30 mins for eg)
To be honest genius and assessment don't always go together. Hawking was only borderline for his first, for example.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^^ (edders) I think that's what most people have been saying. And it doesn't take a genius to get a first in anything - they're just undergraduate degrees, fergodsake.

ChemistBoy, what the hell does that mean? (your symbols in the above but one post I mean)
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by the_alba)
ChemistBoy, what the hell does that mean? (your symbols in the above but one post I mean)
What are the pictures of? Put them together in order.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I see. God, I'm slow.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by the_alba)
I see. God, I'm slow.
Arts graduates, eh?

:p:

Actually I'll probably get a warning for violating the swear filter now.
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
To be honest genius and assessment don't always go together. Hawking was only borderline for his first, for example.
It's because the education system doesn't seem to reward originality until postgrad level.

Actually I'll probably get a warning for violating the swear filter now.
Genius.
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Wise One)
It's because the education system doesn't seem to reward originality until postgrad level.
You'd be surprised how little it is rewarded even at the postgrad level.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Arts graduates, eh?

:p:
I was waiting for that. And my grandmother beats me at Countdown. Though I am good at chess (trying to redeem myself here).
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Wise One)
Actually originality was consistently rewarded throughout my undergrad degree, beyond all my expectations.

That was only two years ago, but since I left they've been trying to bring in this rule that students must not be allowed to invent their own essay titles - pandering to the 2:2-standard drone if ever I saw it.

It also depends on the institution. Too much originality at Oxford and they call the men in white coats (like the opening scene of Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest).
Scuttle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mech Eng is not a science!
All engineering is applied science.
I don't think anyone here would class engineering as wildly different from even the 'pure' sciences.

For the sake of argument here, Engineering is a subject that leads directly to a career, and has all the other hallmarks of something like physics in terms of the work you do.
Scuttle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Stephen Hawking does face much criticism from his peers. At least I have read some.
It could be his theories, but it's more likely his low first.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^^ I came up with all mine. If I'd had to stick to the guideline suggestions I'd probably have run away in indignation and joined the proverbial circus.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Scuttle)
Stephen Hawking does face much criticism from his peers. At least I have read some.
It could be his theories, but it's more likely his low first.
Joking I presume?
Scuttle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Joking I presume?
I'm upset that you had to ask.

Although he is criticised in scientific fields occasionally. I beleive the Information Paradox caused some contraversy?
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm upset that you had to ask.

Although he is criticised in scientific fields occasionally. I beleive the Information Paradox caused some contraversy?
Well, Hawking did himself admit that there were flaws to parts of his work. Such theoretical physics is really out of my league because it is so beyond experiment it is borderline science.
Scuttle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, Hawking did himself admit that there were flaws to parts of his work. Such theoretical physics is really out of my league because it is so beyond experiment it is borderline science.
Quite. Mind bending stuff though, I try to understand it but I've little hope, especially when they introduce the high level maths.

I think Hawkings actually spoke at a meeting of minds a few years back, and everyone was expecting a retraction of his earlier statements. Instead he just came out with something equally unwelcomed. Great stuff.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think Hawkings actually spoke at a meeting of minds a few years back, and everyone was expecting a retraction of his earlier statements. Instead he just came out with something equally unwelcomed. Great stuff.
Bah! It's all flim-flam until we get some experiments done.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.47%
No I am happy with my course choice (454)
58.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.88%

Watched Threads