More difficult to get a First class in Arts subjects? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Scuttle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Bah! It's all flim-flam until we get some experiments done.
Nobel Prize up for grabs here!

I'm working on the double, a Nobel Prize for physics (without a degree in physics just so as to grab even more headlines) and a Fields medal for working out some amazing way to quickly calculate insanely high prime numbers. I'll sell it to software companies to use for their key encryption.
Or I might just sit back and wait for all the hot girls that I imagine would be pretty interested in someone with a Fields medal.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Scuttle)
Nobel Prize up for grabs here!

I'm working on the double, a Nobel Prize for physics (without a degree in physics just so as to grab even more headlines) and a Fields medal for working out some amazing way to quickly calculate insanely high prime numbers. I'll sell it to software companies to use for their key encryption.
Or I might just sit back and wait for all the hot girls that I imagine would be pretty interested in someone with a Fields medal.
Yep its a bit of a babe magnet the old Fields medal. You can win a nobel prize in physics with a maths or engineering degree.
Scuttle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yep its a bit of a babe magnet the old Fields medal. You can win a nobel prize in physics with a maths or engineering degree.
Yep I know, or without a degree at all. A degree is not a pre-requisite for genius.

Fields medal is more exclusive though.

Let's say, hypothetically that I win a Nobel Prize for physics tomorrow.
If I write to Cambridge uni and say "Got a Nobel Prize, can I join the physics course?", will they snap me up just to fill up their number of affiliated Nobel prize winners?
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Let's say, hypothetically that I win a Nobel Prize for physics tomorrow.
If I write to Cambridge uni and say "Got a Nobel Prize, can I join the physics course?", will they snap me up just to fill up their number of affiliated Nobel prize winners?
I think you would probably get offered an academic position. However, by the time you would have won the nobel prize, everyone would already know how good you were in the scientific community anyway, such is the delay.
Scuttle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think you would probably get offered an academic position. However, by the time you would have won the nobel prize, everyone would already know how good you were in the scientific community anyway, such is the delay.
Very true. Is there always a delay whilst they check out that you haven't fluked something or hammed it up?
It's just I'm planning on writing something breathtakingly short (like Einstein's work of a mere 3 or so pages) and would prefer the skyrocket to fame, academic fellowships and sophisticated women.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Very true. Is there always a delay whilst they check out that you haven't fluked something or hammed it up?
It's just I'm planning on writing something breathtakingly short (like Einstein's work of a mere 3 or so pages) and would prefer the skyrocket to fame, academic fellowships and sophisticated women.
It takes a long time for the work to be recognised as being of the quality necessary. Einstein was a revolutionary scientist, a very different breed to most in the profession.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by edders)
I think many physicists regard Hawking as being rather overrated.
Many physicists think anyone but themselves is overrated. The physicist does the God complex better than anyone else I've seen.
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It'd be dizzying. Even your genius mind probably wouldn't be able to deal with it. I predict a six month period at most before you're caught by a tabloid journalist snorting hard drugs off a non-Euclidian surface....
BovineBeast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Wise One)
It'd be dizzying. Even your genius mind probably wouldn't be able to deal with it. I predict a six month period at most before you're caught by a tabloid journalist snorting hard drugs off a non-Euclidian surface....
Aren't hard drugs a prerequisite for actually being able to conceive a non-Euclidean surface anyway?
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Getting a starred first at Oxford is easy in Maths if you ask this young lady.

"She said that the result was much as she had expected."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2492853.stm
gooseymcgoose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i wonder why she did oxford maths and not cam...
hau28
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ironic, because most of the people who do biomed are medicine rejects
(Original post by la fille danse)
Would I be right to assume that biology is mostly about memorisation? It definitely was in high school, don't know about uni...

My flatmate who does Biomedical Sciences thinks that my course (English) is a "doss" subject and hers is a "real" subject because she has to spend more time revising than me. :rolleyes:
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tiasax)
Is this true, and does it really make a difference?

What about language subjects? Would you say that to get a First in French was less subjective than getting a First in English Literature?

Want to know your opinions.

Thanks
To get the highest marks in science subjects, all you need is to be good at the subject. Answer the exam questions correctly, or include all the relevant points in your coursework, and you get full marks without any ambiguity.

With arts (and English), there's the added requirement of someone 'liking' your work. There's more than an objective assessment, and it's this subjectivity that means getting top marks is not as easy since being "good" isn't all there is to it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Come ed, you two - the thread is 12 years old, fdx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.14%

Watched Threads