Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could a bad oil sump cause oil to leak ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A few months ago my mechanic friend asked me to jack up my car, I accidentally jacked it from under the oil sump and realized my mistake when oil began pouring out.
    Brian hit out the dent with a hammer or something and put it back on the car, you can't really notice the dent now and can see no oil dripping out of it.

I notice when I check my oil levels each week that the level seems to be dropping somewhat, I looked under bonnet and around the engine area at the top part that I could see and could not see any leaks but couldn't see completely with stuff in the way.
    I need to have it put on a ramp or jacked up so we can look underneath and inspect the lower half of the engine for leaks but there is no oil dripping on the ground ( but in wet weather you can see trials of multi colored fluid trailing behind the car, probably oil or fuel )

Do you think that although oil cannot be seen dripping from the sump that the sump may actually still have a leak ?

thanks all

ReputationRep:
    The real answer is to put a sheet of big newspaper under the car when its parked up, preferably somewhere dry. Check the paper the next morning for oil drops. Did he put a new gasket on the sump when he bolted it back on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    The real answer is to put a sheet of big newspaper under the car when its parked up, preferably somewhere dry. Check the paper the next morning for oil drops. Did he put a new gasket on the sump when he bolted it back on?
    hi, thank you very much

No , he did not put a new gasket on the oil sum despite the sump being very very crumpled after the jack was placed underneath it, I only discovered the other day that oil sumps have gaskets in them after looking on google, some people say not all car's have gaskets in the oil sump ?

Would a bad gasket in the oil sump cause low oil on dipstick even though I can see no oil dripping from the car ?

( but in the rain , there always seems to be a trail of a rainbow color fluid behind the car that I'm guessing could be oil or fuel, can only see it in the rain and am 99 % sure it's from my car as I seem to see it almost everywhere I go in the rain )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love life)
    hi, thank you very much

No , he did not put a new gasket on the oil sum despite the sump being very very crumpled after the jack was placed underneath it, I only discovered the other day that oil sumps have gaskets in them after looking on google, some people say not all car's have gaskets in the oil sump ?

Would a bad gasket in the oil sump cause low oil on dipstick even though I can see no oil dripping from the car ?

( but in the rain , there always seems to be a trail of a rainbow color fluid behind the car that I'm guessing could be oil or fuel, can only see it in the rain and am 99 % sure it's from my car as I seem to see it almost everywhere I go in the rain )
    Best thing to do is leave a sheet of paper under the engine overnight and check in the morning. The oil is either leaking out or being burned or even a bit of both.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.