Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Could a bad oil sump cause oil to leak ? watch

ReputationRep:
    A few months ago my mechanic friend asked me to jack up my car, I accidentally jacked it from under the oil sump and realized my mistake when oil began pouring out.
    Brian hit out the dent with a hammer or something and put it back on the car, you can't really notice the dent now and can see no oil dripping out of it.

I notice when I check my oil levels each week that the level seems to be dropping somewhat, I looked under bonnet and around the engine area at the top part that I could see and could not see any leaks but couldn't see completely with stuff in the way.
    I need to have it put on a ramp or jacked up so we can look underneath and inspect the lower half of the engine for leaks but there is no oil dripping on the ground ( but in wet weather you can see trials of multi colored fluid trailing behind the car, probably oil or fuel )

Do you think that although oil cannot be seen dripping from the sump that the sump may actually still have a leak ?

thanks all

ReputationRep:
    The real answer is to put a sheet of big newspaper under the car when its parked up, preferably somewhere dry. Check the paper the next morning for oil drops. Did he put a new gasket on the sump when he bolted it back on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    The real answer is to put a sheet of big newspaper under the car when its parked up, preferably somewhere dry. Check the paper the next morning for oil drops. Did he put a new gasket on the sump when he bolted it back on?
    hi, thank you very much

No , he did not put a new gasket on the oil sum despite the sump being very very crumpled after the jack was placed underneath it, I only discovered the other day that oil sumps have gaskets in them after looking on google, some people say not all car's have gaskets in the oil sump ?

Would a bad gasket in the oil sump cause low oil on dipstick even though I can see no oil dripping from the car ?

( but in the rain , there always seems to be a trail of a rainbow color fluid behind the car that I'm guessing could be oil or fuel, can only see it in the rain and am 99 % sure it's from my car as I seem to see it almost everywhere I go in the rain )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love life)
    hi, thank you very much

No , he did not put a new gasket on the oil sum despite the sump being very very crumpled after the jack was placed underneath it, I only discovered the other day that oil sumps have gaskets in them after looking on google, some people say not all car's have gaskets in the oil sump ?

Would a bad gasket in the oil sump cause low oil on dipstick even though I can see no oil dripping from the car ?

( but in the rain , there always seems to be a trail of a rainbow color fluid behind the car that I'm guessing could be oil or fuel, can only see it in the rain and am 99 % sure it's from my car as I seem to see it almost everywhere I go in the rain )
    Best thing to do is leave a sheet of paper under the engine overnight and check in the morning. The oil is either leaking out or being burned or even a bit of both.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.