Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    is anyone elso doing the BSc microbiology course?
    Liam

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year student, did you have any questions about the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1994)
    I'm a first year student, did you have any questions about the course?
    Hi, I was wondering with the coursework, how long did you have to do it, were you able to do any extra modules and have you had to decide your optionals for next year yet? Also, how soon were you doing practicals and were you provided with a lab coat?
    many thanks, Liam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamc0)
    Hi, I was wondering with the coursework, how long did you have to do it, were you able to do any extra modules and have you had to decide your optionals for next year yet? Also, how soon were you doing practicals and were you provided with a lab coat?
    many thanks, Liam.
    Coursework due dates vary massively; we had about a month to do a 2000 word research-based essay. 1 week to complete a practical report as another example.

You don't have any optional modules for year and as far as I know you'll choose your year 2 options on the first week of year 2.

Lab coat and goggles are provided free within your first couple of weeks, but for the microbial practicals you're not allowed to wear your own lab coat. You only have about 6 practicals in Autumn semester (genetics and biochemistry) but Spring semester is much heavier. Past few weeks we've actually had more practicals than lectures, and they're much more microbiology-based than the ones you do in Autumn.

Hope this helps.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.