Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by ickle_katy)
    why would d close the site down if we got free publicity???

more members=more money=new better server.

love Katy ***
    Katy I was just wondering, it's been said in the newspaper reports that they can trace anyone who looked at the messages (but they have got loads of stuff wrong as it is so I am not sure what they say that's right!)

Would the records of who looked at the pages show what time they looked at them? like if you looked at them after the exam, not before?

thanks

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    IP addresses are dynamic for dialup users, which mean I get a different IP address every time I get connected. So if someones is unlucky enough to be using Pete2004's IP after he had posted the messages, they could be in trouble, if what you have suggested is to be carried out.
    The IP the moderators see will not just be the IP but the service provider aswell. I know this because i mod a forum that is related to game development. So dynamic IP will not help him. A proxy might help, but if the router he is using if it is broadband may appear on the list for that user. As for using a library/cafe i am not sure how they would trace it. On the radio they said they had located the school, so it sounds as if it was done from school. So it could be that a load of students are questioned and hopefully the anxiety of pete2004 gets the most of him and he confesses, or else this is going to drag on for longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i doubt that very much.there are plenty of sweet friends out there, but this one would need to be a real whopper of a friend.
    The friend would all ready be implicated if he saw the paper. If they are in it together, they with the aid of a lawyer will be able to construct a story. Even I can make a half guess at it. They claim each other took the paper and that each other posted it. Alternativly, they make a 'no comment' interview and nothing can be proved either way. It will also be hard to find the source of the paper - pete2004 claims he bought it thinking it was for revision, and cannot give to many details of the seller - again difficut to prove theft against pete. Pet can wriggle of criminal charges quite easily with a good lawyer, but if caught will be disqualified from the exam - unless he proves he recieved the paper in good faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    why would d close the site down if we got free publicity???

more members=more money=new better server.

love Katy ***
    d doesn't make any money whatsoever for this lol more members = more money? rubbish, if that was the case, i'd be a millionaire for running an irc channel that is hosted on justachat.com

oh and its cuz its looking bad on him as hes the owner

(Original post by Hyvry1)
    On the radio they said they had located the school, so it sounds as if it was done from school. .
    unless you are at boarding school surely most schools are shut on a sunday evening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    do you not have simple logical? bbc.co.uk is one of the most popular news sites on the internet,
    yes but its not as though its going to be on the front page is it!!!!!!!! bbc has 2 million pages it even states on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    unless you are at boarding school surely most schools are shut on a sunday evening
    True but i am only repeating what was said on the radio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYaa008)
    yes but its not as though its going to be on the front page is it!!!!!!!! bbc has 2 million pages it even states on it!
    It made it to the front page of the guardian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jow)
    The pete2004 person is clever enough to get the paper, but stupid enough not to be able to it himself even with text books!

Jow
    It's likely he didn't need to be clever - Schools get the papers a few days before the exam so teachers could potentially distribute them to students or give them any help they wished. I would guess pete2004 was given the paper by a teacher rather than obtaining it in a more unlikely way such as hacking into edxecell or stealing it from the post.

ReputationRep:
    it will definately hit the first couple of pages if it doesnt make the headline. im just waiting for it to be broadcasted on the bbc news!

ReputationRep:
    I hate to alarm people:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3832309.stm

This says that anyone who accessed the thread before the exam will be disqualified...

ReputationRep:
    The story was on Capital FM Radio (London) today, but they didn't mention UKL, just "a website."

InterCity125 (at least, I think it was you who said this)- Yeh, I have thought about whether pete2004 might not have realised they were the papers he was due to sit the next day, but then in one of the threads containing the leaked questions, "presha" asked "where are you getting these questions from?", and pete2004 replied "from delphis tests. they are designed to mimic real edexcel papers." If pete2004 actually thought they were past papers, he wouldn't have said they were "delphis tests."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    It's likely he didn't need to be clever - Schools get the papers a few days before the exam so teachers could potentially distribute them to students or give them any help they wished. I would guess pete2004 was given the paper by a teacher rather than obtaining it in a more unlikely way such as hacking into edxecell or stealing it from the post.
    Given the timing of the leak teacher dishonesty is quite likley. However, other sources could include an employee in the print works or at the board itself - though the latter is less likley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyvry1)
    On the radio they said they had located the school, so it sounds as if it was done from school. So it could be that a load of students are questioned and hopefully the anxiety of pete2004 gets the most of him and he confesses, or else this is going to drag on for longer.
    If it were from a school, then it is likely that Pete is a teacher rather than a student... right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)

This says that anyone who accessed the thread before the exam will be disqualified...
    It says nothing like that - it says

"We are working with the police and we are confident we will get the cheats. Where cheating has gone on, they will be disqualified and their grade will be withdrawn."

and

"Our main concern is to ensure integrity of the examinations. We want to reassure those who have genuinely worked hard that they will be all right but the cheats will be got and disqualified."

nowhere does it define what cheaating is or make any reference to viewing the thread.

(Original post by imasillynarb)
    I hate to alarm people:

erm, where exactly does it say that?

rosie

ReputationRep:
    its just a website, if it were to be found in an official newspaper in hard copy then it may be a different story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    erm, where exactly does it say that?

rosie
    It says it on the ITV website

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel says it is able to track down who has logged on to the page where the questions were posted.

A spokeswoman said: "We are working with the police and we are confident we will get the cheats. Where cheating has gone on, they will be disqualified and their grade will be withdrawn.

(Original post by Camford)
    If it were from a school, then it is likely that Pete is a teacher rather than a student... right?
    but why would a teacher post asking for help with questions?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.