P2 paper leak. updates? Watch

This discussion is closed.
female_engineer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know some would think that we are all getting too worked up over the truth here, but knowing so much information can be so destructive. I really feel that Edexcel should not be able to get away with this...it irritates me beyond belief! and I don't care if I get people telling me how stupid I'm being.
CH500
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
Nothing particularly interesting - basically that the guardian and edexcel had it all wrong and I thought they should be more worried about how the questions were leaked rather than blaming it all on ukl for allowing "potentially illegal activity to go unchecked" I'll pm you what I wrote if you want to see it.

Tell them that it was 5 questions and not 2!
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by CH500)
Tell them that it was 5 questions and not 2!
They replied saying thanks for alerting them to it, they'd written a story, could they quote me, and when I answered I said that I'd forgotten to say that although edexcel claimed it was only 2, every one on here was saying it was 5 out of 7 or 8, which is obviously a much bigger deal. I didn't sit the exam myself though so I don't actually know myself how many were on it.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Edexcel say the papers were sent to the examination centres over a week ago, with strict instruction - as usual - that they were to remain sealed until one hour before the exam.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this on the previous pages of this thread but someone pointed out an item in the Daily Mirror today which says that edexcel know the details of the orginal poster of the questions and those who logged onto that particular thread! They go on to say that these people will be interviewed and some of them risk having their papers invalidated!

Link to story from TES

http://www.tes.co.uk/breaking_news/story.asp?id=23426
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hyvry1)
No they say "appeared on the web"
The Guardian artical named UK-L
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Edexcel say the papers were sent to the examination centres over a week ago, with strict instruction - as usual - that they were to remain sealed until one hour before the exam.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this on the previous pages of this thread but someone pointed out an item in the Daily Mirror today which says that edexcel know the details of the orginal poster of the questions and those who logged onto that particular thread! They go on to say that these people will be interviewed and some of them risk having their papers invalidated!

Link to story from TES

http://www.tes.co.uk/breaking_news/story.asp?id=23426
The TES Maths Message board follows up this story:

http://www.tes.co.uk/staffroom/threa...7&threadPage=1
Hyvry1
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
The Guardian artical named UK-L
I was refering to Radio 1 news when i said this:
(Original post by Hyvry1)
No they say "appeared on the web"
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
who is "annee" on that TES forum? is it someone from here?

MB
InterCity125
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No matter how many questions it was and what edexcel are and aren't saying it makes no difference. Like I said in my last post it is not possible to repeat the exam as the timings have to be agreed with the QCA. People may already have had plans based on the pervious timetable, so to add another exam would be near on impossible. It is probably better for everyone, including those who accidently helped out if the whole thing goes away. We do not need continued discusion in the media undermining everyone's work.
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
who is "annee" on that TES forum? is it someone from here?

MB
I'm pretty sure i have seen "annee" on the education guardian forum when i went on the other day. if i remember right i think she said she's got a daughter and seems to be a regular on there. so possible but unlikely she's from here..
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
Have any of the mods (who I'm assuming can still see pete2004s posts) seen the real paper to see whether 5 of the questions were the same? If they really were, edexcel shouldn't be allowed to get away with this (though I'm not suggesting millions of angry students start emailing them - probably best to leave it to the mods/d) If someone showed the media the actual paper and pete2004s posts to compare, they'd start asking edexcel some very difficult questions.

i think we should leave it up to the police to decide what is the truth and what is not the truth. then they can decide what difficult questions need to be asked and who needs to answer them.

love Katy ***
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
BBC report on it (I'm on both- Eva, Plymouth)
Update report on re-sits
Also I got an email from the BBC saying if I knew of anyone who was offered a paper etc then they'd like to talk to them (PM if that applies to you)

Also see:
The Mirror (lack of UKL mention)
Times Educational Supplement
TES forum
The "lets blame the website" Guardian

I've complained to the Guardian saying that I thought it took and unfair view and was blamining UKL for something that was certainly unavoidble from the UKL side.

A note to people who took the P2 exam, BBC have reported that there will not be resits:

"Edexcel rejected calls from some students for a re-sit of Monday's Pure maths 2 paper, saying the small number of questions involved would not dramatically affect an overall A-level grade. "

I'm not sure how this could affect people:

"It also said it was able to track down pupils who had logged on to the page where the questions were posted and would be closely checking exam papers for evidence of cheating. "

Eva

[Edit: Thanks to the w*nker who gave me neg rep for posting this(!)]
[Edit: And thanks to those who gave me positive rep!! *glomps* ]
lgs98jonee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"She added that they were also able to track down who has logged on to the page where the questions were posted"

wot does this mean :-(...will we get interviewed by police? or just have our papers checked??
surely ukl does not have to pass on our ip addresses? i would rather mine wasnt as i dont want to become too involved
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=txt_eva]
The "lets blame the website" Guardian

QUOTE]

TBH, the grauniad was saying that edexcel blamed the website. Not that the website was at fault.

MB
dave134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lgs98jonee)
"She added that they were also able to track down who has logged on to the page where the questions were posted"

wot does this mean :-(...will we get interviewed by police? or just have our papers checked??
surely ukl does not have to pass on our ip addresses? i would rather mine wasnt as i dont want to become too involved
What is more interesting is whether they can or not. As the police are involved, ip's could be demanded via a search warrant regardless. Looking under the Data protection act, the following would seem to cover it:

6. - (1) The processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests pursued by the data controller or by the third party or parties to whom the data are disclosed, except where the processing is unwarranted in any particular case by reason of prejudice to the rights and freedoms or legitimate interests of the data subject.
(above taken from Schedule 1 of the Data Protection Act)

The Data controller would be this site, (or company behind it etc)
Third party would be Edexcel
Data subject would be the person viewing the post

I think Edexcel could argue well enough that it would be necessary for them to know, given their business, and that it would not infringe upon your rights or freedoms, also given the definitions earlier on in the act, you would have to prove that this site has a reasonable chance of getting your name and address from the IP, or else its not personal data at all.

Most importantly though is not to panic. Edexcel would gain no advantage from penalising students unjustly. Where they would get suspicious is if somebody failed all other maths papers, and the questions not released early, but scored perfectly on the ones leaked. If you didn't know they were the questions they cannot prosecute, or ban you from exams. They may take action to reduce the effect, such as averaging out your other papers, so if you scored P1=D P2=B M1=D S1=D you would get a D overall, but even that is rather unlikely.
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
just had a look and there is nothing in the grauniad this morning. Interesting stuff about people taking gap years starting in 2005 not needing to pay top-up though.

MB
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Has anyone asked edexcel why they are lying about the number of questions posted?

MB
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
just had a look and there is nothing in the grauniad this morning. Interesting stuff about people taking gap years starting in 2005 not needing to pay top-up though.

MB
How they doing that?
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We're in The Times, though it doesn't mention the name of the site.
Cossack
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
We're in The Times, though it doesn't mention the name of the site.
it does in the BBC and the guardian online...theres links to the story in General Chat...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?