Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by female_engineer)
    I really feel that Edexcel should not be able to get away with this...it irritates me beyond belief! and I don't care if I get people telling me how stupid I'm being.
    It's corrupt teachers that are the problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    We're in The Times, though it doesn't mention the name of the site.

It's in the telegraph too, but only very small with no website name.

On the gap year topic, there's an amendment being made to the top-up fees Bill. It that means that if you're someone who will get top-up fees only if they take a gap year, will now not have to pay fees.. I think that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Has anyone asked edexcel why they are lying about the number of questions posted?

MB

:eek: they are lying??? what the hell is lying going to do for them?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    :eek: they are lying??? what the hell is lying going to do for them?!
    2/8 of the questions does not look as bad as 5/8, they're trying to save face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    2/8 of the questions does not look as bad as 5/8, they're trying to save face.
    It rather undermines their argument that "The small number of questions that were seen doesn't warrant a resit"

ReputationRep:
    It was definitely 5 questions (+1 posted by someone called presha) and I have screen shots to prove it. I don't understand why they lie when there are about 100 people here who would corroborate evidence to say they are lying.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Im so glad I've finished with my A-Levels last year before this all came public. But some advice I can give to you is to just forget about it. Yes, it is true exam papers got leaked this year, so what? It shouldn't bother you since if you have prepared well enough you will get 100% anyway. If people want to cheat and fool themselves thats up to them. They will get thrown out of university regardless.

I dont think Edexcel is to blame for this. It says on several news sites that exam papers are delivered to colleges earlier than when they are needed?! That seems very stupid. Obviously it could be a teacher, but it also could be some highly proffesional thieves who feel like a new challenge. If this is true, its not about trust...its about the system's lack of physical security itself.

I wouldn't put it past me that stuff gets leaked every year. Just becase you dont know about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Im sure only the most streetwise of people will know. Im also sure that the majority of people on this forum are NOT streetwise enough to know about stuff like this occuring. You seem to have too much faith in the system and law enforcement. Stuff like this only becomes public when some stupid person gets their hands on it and it just goes out of hand. The chances are that papers have been leaked for years and years but it has been done discretely without the attention of the media being alerted. So why whine only this year? It could have happened for years and years...just because somebody doesn't come onto UKL and ask for help doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Stop being so ignorant, the system is full of corrupt people. People will always cheat. People will always find ways of cheating. Just get over it.

Just my 2 cents.

ReputationRep:
    It was definitely 5 questions (+1 posted by someone called presha) and I have screen shots to prove it. I don't understand why they lie when there are about 100 people here who would corroborate evidence to say they are lying.

MB
    Why don't you contact the BBC/Guardian/whatever and tell them that you've got evidence proving that 5 q's were posted and not two like Edexcel claimed?
    It would embarrass Edexcel coz then it would be obvious they were lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    Why don't you contact the BBC/Guardian/whatever and tell them that you've got evidence proving that 5 q's were posted and not two like Edexcel claimed?
    It would embarrass Edexcel coz then it would be obvious they were lying.
    If anyone's managed to photocopy / scan in the Edexcel Pure 2 paper since the exam then things would be varifyable far easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the1withnoname2)
    It says on several news sites that exam papers are delivered to colleges earlier than when they are needed?! That seems very stupid.
    I would agree... however when I was doing my GCSEs I spent 2 hours locked in an exam room waiting for the papers to arrive, eventally they were fax to the school and we had to have photocopied papers. And that was for a 2 1/2 exam, not fun!

It shouldn't bother you since if you have prepared well enough you will get 100% anyway
    I revised hard, but I am not gettign 100% in any of my exams!!

THe problem here is less the cheating per se, but the fact that a lot of people who didn't want to cheat and wouldn't cheat are being dragging in to it and UKL is getting bad press. If someone want to cheat and read a paper early, well it ain't fair, but at least it's not putting others in difficult positions.

Im so glad I've finished with my A-Levels last year before this all came public. But some advice I can give to you is to just forget about it. Yes, it is true exam papers got leaked this year, so what? It shouldn't bother you since if you have prepared well enough you will get 100% anyway. If people want to cheat and fool themselves thats up to them. They will get thrown out of university regardless.

I dont think Edexcel is to blame for this. It says on several news sites that exam papers are delivered to colleges earlier than when they are needed?! That seems very stupid. Obviously it could be a teacher, but it also could be some highly proffesional thieves who feel like a new challenge. If this is true, its not about trust...its about the system's lack of physical security itself.

I wouldn't put it past me that stuff gets leaked every year. Just becase you dont know about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Im sure only the most streetwise of people will know. Im also sure that the majority of people on this forum are NOT streetwise enough to know about stuff like this occuring. You seem to have too much faith in the system and law enforcement. Stuff like this only becomes public when some stupid person gets their hands on it and it just goes out of hand. The chances are that papers have been leaked for years and years but it has been done discretely without the attention of the media being alerted. So why whine only this year? It could have happened for years and years...just because somebody doesn't come onto UKL and ask for help doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Stop being so ignorant, the system is full of corrupt people. People will always cheat. People will always find ways of cheating. Just get over it.

Just my 2 cents.
    It's true that problems often come up and that many of them don't come to light, but when problems do come up, of course efforts should be made to try and find the people responsible and punish them. Of course we know that cheating will always go on and that "the system" won't stop most of it, in the same way as other crime, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do our best to try and reduce the problem.

It would be rather strange for people to "whine" about cheating in the "years and years" that no one had any evidence of cheating, surely?

And it seems rather silly for universities to make a fuss and throw the cheats out "regardless" if we shouldn't care about cheating and the cheats will inevitably evade detection..don't you think?

I'm really not sure what being "streetwise" has to do with this. Or how you think anyone who has "prepared enough" will always get 100% on exams. Did you? I also sincerely doubt that a crack team of highly professional theives are jimmying safes in search of papers and the physical security of the papers being the main concern. As you say, the main worry is corrupt teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

I'm really not sure what being "streetwise" has to do with this. Or how you think anyone who has "prepared enough" will always get 100% on exams. Did you? I also sincerely doubt that a crack team of highly professional theives are jimmying safes in search of papers and the physical security of the papers being the main concern. As you say, the main worry is corrupt teachers.
    Lol weren't those AQA papers stolen at knifepoint though?

(Original post by fishpaste)
    Lol weren't those AQA papers stolen at knifepoint though?
    Ah yes, i think they were. And later dumped in an alley were they not? Surely these EXTREMELY PROFESSIONAL thieves, having stolen the papers they had intended to steal, wouldn't just chuck them away?

Or is it more likely that they nicked a load of parcels in the hope there would be some good stuff and thought "oh *******s we got a load of crap exam papers" and dumped them

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't put it past a group of highly proffesional expert thieves to covertly break into a school/college, knowing full well that somewhere in the building(s) there will be a room full of exam papers. BBC reports they have been sold for £300 a go, which gives plenty of reason for people to do this.

Blaming teachers, and Edexcel is not the point here.

But then again, maybe ive been watching too much of The Italian Job and such films It probably is some idiot in Edexcel giving them to his son who really wants to go to university, and that son is probably selling them on (realistically). But then again, you never know it could be some James Bond type thieves doing their work...who knows? Fact is...its happened...its happened in the past...deal with it. Just revise for your exams and you wont need to cheat, nor will you have any reason to complain about it. Worry about things that you can control, like your own revision.

I studied for my Maths and got 100% in all p1, p2, p3, and im not exceptionally bright either. If cheats want to cheat, fine, they will get caught in the end, they are only cheating themselves. Let the law enforcement deal with that, no need to get your knickers in a twist over it.

ReputationRep:
    yes, it was 8 questions in total. Five were posted here by pete2004. one other one was poted by presha. I think that UKL needs to write to edexcel demanding an explanation for why they are saying that only two questions were posted. I have screen shots as evidence of these posts by pete2004.

MB
    are you sayin that it was 6 questions that were posted here?! Edexcel must know this, them doing nothing cannot be justified, a resit must be offered.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC Online story has been changed somewhat to reflect comments emailed to them from our users.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3834291.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    The BBC Online story has been changed somewhat to reflect comments emailed to them from our users.

I'm impressed. This is all an interesting insight into the media. I wonder if edexcel will respond to the accusation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I'm impressed. This is all an interesting insight into the media. I wonder if edexcel will respond to the accusation.
    What amuses me somewhat is that Edexcel are so worried about a situation from a student message board, that they haven't yet dared to stick a press release on their website.

They must be carefully considering how to protect their *ahum* untarnished record in exam security.

ReputationRep:

Yeah! The BBC

Better than those Guardian muppets!

ReputationRep:
    What amuses me somewhat is that Edexcel are so worried about a situation from a student message board, that they haven't yet dared to stick a press release on their website.

They must be carefully considering how to protect their *ahum* untarnished record in exam security.
    Their exam security up until now hasn't been too bad, it's the dodgy marking that's been the main concern. Now they are just terrible in all departments.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.