The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
This is my first post on this board - treat me gently!

I do notunderstand why this board deleted the posts!
I have not been a user of this board but I believe the sequence of events is as follows:
On Sunday, A poster,(Pete2004?) asked for help with P2 type questions. The number of questions seems to be in dispute. This is important as I'll argue in a moment.
On Monday many members of this board recognised the questions on the P2 paper. Some complained to the webmaster.

The webmaster then deleted the questions after the exam was over, after the irreparable damage was done. What was the point in that?

I believe that the exam board is claiming that there is no need to worry about the integrity of the P2 exam as there were only two questions involved and they will be able to hunt down Pete2004 (with some assistance from the police). So the issue of how much appeared is relevant.
In today's Daily Telegraph (25th June 2004) a front page report reveals that there is systematic selling of Edexcel Chemistry, Biology and Physics A level papers in the North West London areas. Only next week's Chemistry paper is being reset!!!

While there is no evidence in the public domain yet where the papers are being stolen from and it would be wrong to blame Edexcel for the leaks, their reaction is not above criticism. In denial about the extent of the leaks and the damage being caused and finding reality too horrible a landscape to contemplate, they are proclaiming that it all involves a very few people in a very small area. Hence their silly action in resetting only one of the six known leaked papers. The Telegraph says that there is more to come: Next week's Physics and Business Studies papers are supposed to be available (if you know the right dealer!)

[Really, the1withnoname2, to argue that Edexcel have a right to cover up the extent of leaks to protect their image! What sort of a morality is that ??!!]
Heh...i didnt' say it was RIGHT to...but it is UNDERSTANDABLE...there is a difference. Furthermore, it wouldn't surprise me if all the papers were leaked. This is obvously the work of professionals, and hence systematic selling would not be beyond the realm of possibility.

I think the Daily Telegraph has no idea at all about what is leaked, they are going on word of mouth. If they say that they have photocopies of them, then fair enough. But I think the media are playing this up unnececssarily.

Do the police have any hypothesis on who the culprit is here? After doing some google searches it seems that when this happened in 2001, the police "dropped the enquiry". It seems more than likely that the same will happen this year.

In my honest opinion, It doesn't matter if some little kid is selling them on after getting it from another dealer. The true problem is the source, the masterminds behind the whole operation. These people MUST be found if the integrity of the education system on an international level is to be maintained.
Reply 382
nollaig

I have not been a user of this board but I believe the sequence of events is as follows:
On Sunday, A poster,(Pete2004?) asked for help with P2 type questions. The number of questions seems to be in dispute. This is important as I'll argue in a moment.
On Monday many members of this board recognised the questions on the P2 paper. Some complained to the webmaster.

The webmaster then deleted the questions after the exam was over, after the irreparable damage was done. What was the point in that?

I believe that the exam board is claiming that there is no need to worry about the integrity of the P2 exam as there were only two questions involved and they will be able to hunt down Pete2004 (with some assistance from the police). So the issue of how much appeared is relevant.
In today's Daily Telegraph (25th June 2004) a front page report reveals that there is systematic selling of Edexcel Chemistry, Biology and Physics A level papers in the North West London areas. Only next week's Chemistry paper is being reset!!!

While there is no evidence in the public domain yet where the papers are being stolen from and it would be wrong to blame Edexcel for the leaks, their reaction is not above criticism. In denial about the extent of the leaks and the damage being caused and finding reality too horrible a landscape to contemplate, they are proclaiming that it all involves a very few people in a very small area. Hence their silly action in resetting only one of the six known leaked papers. The Telegraph says that there is more to come: Next week's Physics and Business Studies papers are supposed to be available (if you know the right dealer!)

[Really, the1withnoname2, to argue that Edexcel have a right to cover up the extent of leaks to protect their image! What sort of a morality is that ??!!]

I don't know about the rest, but the board were asked to remove the posts from public veiw by edexcel, which in the circumstances isn't really unreasonable.
And remember (as has been pointed out earlier) Edexel is a business, and therefore feels the need to protect it's image. Personally, I agree with you, I don't think it's right, but there are, I'm sure, things going on that we don't know about, as the mods keep repeating.
nollaig

1)i think you'll find that the questions have not been deleted...just moved from the public domain.

2) next to the bottom of your post i think you'll find an edit button...you should be able to guess what can happen with that

3) this is a police investigation...i dont think its normal procedure to leave all the evidence out in the open for every tom dick n harry to nose at....

love Katy ***
Exactly.

Just read that daily telegraph article its on the internet too. They just found out the Biology paper from today had been leaked.
nollaig

That is because you do not understand this board - just because you don't have access them doesn't mean they have been deleted - they have been moved out of the way so that the relevent authorities can view the evidence at one side, where they are all together.

nollig

On Sunday, A poster,(Pete2004?) asked for help with P2 type questions. The number of questions seems to be in dispute.

This is important as I'll argue in a moment.

Oh good, yes it was Pete2004, and yes they were introduced as questions from Mock P2 Papers.

nollig

The term complain suggests that it was the fault of the "Webmaster" that they were up in the first place. Many of the regular members on this board (those that haven't just viewed the BBC story and tried to piece it together), know that they engaged their brain, and advised the Moderator Team that there may be an issue to be dealt with.

nollig

I've torn this comment to shreads already, and would suggest you take a moment to understand my previous comments, and those of my collegues.

nollig

We know that this is an important issue, and we know a) where the questions are based on this forum; b) why you and all but 8 of the members on this forum can't see them; and c) Edexcel are appearing not to be in the slightest bit prepared to admit how much of this paper has leaked.

nollig

BBC One O'Clock News today added to this that Edexcel were aware that questions from one of their Maths exams had been available on a website the night before the exam.

nollig

Many people are just annoyed with Edexcel as it seems to be the security of their exams that is always breached.

Also, as you mention, the fact that Edexcel are not appearing to accept the full extent of the leak of Monday's Pure 2 Maths, despite having been informed as such in original correspondance.

I'm sure we'll all be following the news wires until the end of the exam period very closely.
anyone know if the chemistry unit 4 or 5 paper of edexcel was leaked??
if i was one mark of an A in P2 i would sue Edexcel!
Reply 387
fatboyslim

Yes, go to north West London, you will have a range of exam papers to purchase. :smile:
Reply 388
Logarithm
Yes, go to north West London, you will have a range of exam papers to purchase. :smile:
LMAO!

for those who want to know more re: that comment:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3839485.stm
Reply 390
fatboyslim

hmmm..i would do the same! :smile:
Reply 391
nollaig

Because, regardless of whether the paper had been sat or not, the information posted was copywrited..... If the owner (edexcel) wanted it removed, and UK-L didn't oblige, then it could have lead to a big fat anti-copywrite lawsuit.
Well, if it was a robbery in the end, then I guess I was right. But i think they are making excuses now. Bit of a coinscidence that only Edexcel papers were taken. I think there is some sneaky guy in Edexcel running the show as far as exam leaks go.

Unless it really is the work of some highly capable professional thieves who managed to rob a college without leaving a shred of evidence that would have made the headmaster report it to the police straight away.

What you guys think?
Reply 393
the1withnoname2
Well, if it was a robbery in the end, then I guess I was right. But i think they are making excuses now. Bit of a coinscidence that only Edexcel papers were taken. I think there is some sneaky guy in Edexcel running the show as far as exam leaks go.

Unless it really is the work of some highly capable professional thieves who managed to rob a college without leaving a shred of evidence that would have made the headmaster report it to the police straight away.

What you guys think?

The OCR biol was stolen and leaked too. Several schools have now gone on record to say that they 'seem' to be missing papers....
Reply 394
Fluffy
The OCR biol was stolen and leaked too. Several schools have now gone on record to say that they 'seem' to be missing papers....

It was on the BBC six o' clock news. They mentioned bio, chem and these P2 leaks. The whole 'missing' papers was mentioned as well
This is an international disaster. How can Edexcel have ANY clue of who is cheating in exams. I know from experience that I achieved extremely bad results in my mock examinations. All grade Us pratically. However, I then started doing some work and achieved AAA.

Furthermore, the nature of my revision is to get everything into my short term memory. To be honest, I am not bothered at all if I retain the information after the exam. My only goal is to learn the material for the exam, and only the exam. If interviews are carried out and people who have grade Es in their predicted grades, and grade As in their real examinations. This is no evidence of cheating what so ever. Neither is that canditate being interviewed afterwards and not being able to answer questions. Alot of people only intend on knowing things for the exam. After just a few weeks all knowledge needed for that exam may be forgotten. Hence I do not understand how Edexcel will search for cheats. Innocent people will be falsely accused of cheating, and will recieve emotional stress for being accused of something they haven't done! This is not to mention the kind of ideas their parents will get after they come out with straight As.
"The OCR biol was stolen and leaked too. Several schools have now gone on record to say that they 'seem' to be missing papers...."

Where did you get this piece of information?
Reply 397
the1withnoname2
This is an international disaster. How can Edexcel have ANY clue of who is cheating in exams.

Thanks to our corrupt schools, they can't!
Reply 398
the1withnoname2
"The OCR biol was stolen and leaked too. Several schools have now gone on record to say that they 'seem' to be missing papers...."

Where did you get this piece of information?

the 6 o'clock news. And a fair few threads on here....
oh what! i do ocr bio :frown: damn cheaters

Latest

Trending

Trending