Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "The exam board is to "substantially change" one of the chemistry exams, due to be sat on Tuesday"
    Edexcel said a decision had been made to "substantially change" one of the papers, in chemistry, which is due to be taken next Tuesday. (from BBC site)

(Original post by the1withnoname2)
    Im puzzled over your english.
    You say p2, chem4, chem5 was taken...and they altered "the" paper? which paper did they alter?
    i thought the situation was such that p2,s2,chem4,chem5,chem6,a_bio_no t_sure_which were found to be leaked...but the only one changed was chem6?
    Chem 6 was the altered one... I knew I was one of the Chems and got mixed up. I said chem 4 or 5 cause I wasn't sure... it was acutally chem 6 that I meant

its not possible. hes talking rubbish. only chem6 was altered because that was found to be leaked more than a week in advance
    Thats the one I meant... (who's the he your refering to?)

(Original post by ++Hex++)
    I don't understand how they can alter a paper like that at such short notice - don't they have to print them off, pack them and distribute them, as well as rewriting the paper? How can they get that done so quickly? :confused:
    (Original post by ++Hex++)
    That's what I mean though - it's a lot of work for a week, when they usually take months to put a paper together. I still don't understand how they can rush through the process in a few days.
    They have a back up paper I suspect. And it is possible to fax the papers to the schools and get it sorted that way... and yes they do fax papers... it happened at my school 2 yrs ago when some GCSE D&T papers never turned up.

(Original post by crana)
    I think it was actually Tuesday's paper - either Edexcel or Nuffield unit 6. S2 went walkies too, I think.
    S2 as well?? Bloody hell... which ones didn't get nicked...

(Original post by Rose in Bloom)
    So, hopefully all will go well and we will get our lovely results (fingers crossed!) on August the 18th....I understand that its just too sad that there are ppl in this world who can't be trusted!..but then again, the world is not an ideal place!...don't worry, keep smiling
    I was thinking of the 19th, actually

ReputationRep:
    A spokesman for Edexcel was on Radio 4 earlier and commented on all the leaks.
    The stolen papers that was leaked and distributed have been Traced to Harrow Tutorial College.

ReputationRep:
    Someone might have already said this, but there is an article about the leaks in today's (Saturday) Daily Mail. There was a paragraph relating to UKL, it just said some questions were posted from a maths paper on an internet revision site last Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    Have they found the source of the leak then? Any news article that distinctly points it out? Or is the investigation still going on to where it originated from?

ReputationRep:
    It was on Radio 4 news this morning, Edexcel has caught at least 1 student who access to a paper before an exam - although they didnt say which one. Im guessing a friend probably ratted on them.
    Edexcel is taking legal action against the individual and against Harrow Tutorial College

ReputationRep:
    So a robbery took place on that college? Or was it a teacher who stole them? Who is this individual that is getting inquired...is he a teacher/pupil or what?! I wish i heard this Radio4 thing. Somebody got a recording of it?

I hope whoever is responsible gets atleast 1 year for this.

ReputationRep:
    "Edexcel has caught at least 1 student who access to a paper before an exam"

Isn't that old news? Or are you saying that somebody from that college itself was caught with it..and hence they are suspecting him of being a main guy?

ReputationRep:
    if this pete2004 has 1/2 a brain hed have a strong firewall etc and wont be traced; u dnt know he may have known the answers but as he had no marl scheme he may have wanted 2 confer with other ppl and get in2 the news

i hope the ******* gets caught but i know he probably wont

ReputationRep:
    Nice post in the TES Staffroom:

(Original post by Beaginis - TES Staffroom)
    (Original post by Otto - TES Staffroom)
    I'm debating whether to sue Edexcel for lack of care over release of papers if my Maths students underperform this time around. How about you, beaginis?
    Many, points Otto:

Extent of the problem:
    Areas affected: epicentre seems to be Harrow, NorthWestLondon. I have reports (of different levels of reliability) about schools/colleges in 3 neighbouring boroughs being affected. Any "on-the-ground" reports from your area?
    Papers affected:
    P2 Edexcel: Widespread evidence;
    S2 Edexcel: Daily Telegraph on Thursday;
    Edexcel synoptic Chemistry - Board even resetting the paper.
    Edexcel synoptic Biology: Daily Telegraph on Thursday;
    Newspapers/ BBC refer to known theft of 5/6 papers.

Reaction of exam board:

What is Edexcel's rationale for resetting only one of the 5/6 stolen papers? Surely all should be reset or none need to be reset. Possible answer: Edexcel are in denial about the extent of the leaks and the damage being caused. Finding reality too horrible a landscape to contemplate, they are proclaiming that it only involves a very few people in a very small area. Hence their contradictory action in resetting only one of the known leaked papers. After much searching, I can find nothing about this issue on Edexcel's own website.

What are schools/colleges doing when evidence of leaks appear (e.g. teachers being asked for help with questions which subsequently appear on exam papers;teachers being approached by concerned students who have worked hard and resent dossers being able to get high grades by buying the exam papers etc.)? Here too there is tremendous pressure to bury one's head in the sand and dismiss it with fatuous remarks like "Even if some of mine had the paper for a whole term they still wouldn't get a C".

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel said they are not naming this college according to the BBC article. However, many of you have stated that the college is called "Harrow Tutorial College". So, I wonder how the name of this college was revealed. Somebody with inside information of the theft who told the police?

It is a shame that a college's reputation will be ruined by this most probably. The question is, who is to blame? the teachers? was it really a burglary? Or is a burglary just a way for the teachers to cover up their own mistakes?

The story is slowly unfolding. Whoever is responsible must be stopped. However, how CAN this be stopped? If it really was a burglary, it is obviously the work of professionals. If it wasn't Harrow Tutorial College, then it will be another college, surely?

How is this going to be addressed? Will new ways of delivering papers be enforced by the next set of exams? I hope so, because this is an absolute joke. The good news is that the culprits have been identified this time round.

Good job police.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel is the new name for London Examinations, and for reasons of tradition dating back to when there was a culture of using the "local" exam board quite a high proportion of schools in London use mainly Edexcel. London also has a comparatively high crime rate. Thus Edexcel papers are perhaps more at risk of being stolen than those of other boards, and we shouldn't blame them so much. It's just a thought, I hope it doesn't offend Londoners....

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel said they are not naming this college according to the BBC article.
    According to Edexcel Website nothing has happened this week !

It's all so quiet... shhhhhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Edexcel is the new name for London Examinations, and for reasons of tradition <A TITLE="Click for more information about dating" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||dating|AA1V Dw">dating</A> back to when there was a culture of using the "local" exam board quite a high proportion of schools in London use mainly Edexcel. London also has a comparatively high crime rate. Thus Edexcel papers are perhaps more at risk of being stolen than those of other boards, and we shouldn't blame them so much. It's just a thought, I hope it doesn't offend Londoners....
    True, but they shouldn't take offense - I mean Hackney, come on!

(Original post by Alexander)
    Edexcel is the new name for London Examinations, and for reasons of tradition dating back to when there was a culture of using the "local" exam board quite a high proportion of schools in London use mainly Edexcel. London also has a comparatively high crime rate. Thus Edexcel papers are perhaps more at risk of being stolen than those of other boards, and we shouldn't blame them so much. It's just a thought, I hope it doesn't offend Londoners....
    I'm not convinced by the "local exam board" argument, but London obviously has more schools for its area than most places, so it doesn't really matter. I also don't think the crime rate is that relevant. Inner-city Nottingham, where my school is, also has a very high crime rate - but the majority of crime is not stealing exam papers!

I think that most cases of leaks can probably be traced back to the teachers or other people involved with the school, rather than to the people who are creating the high crime rates, if that makes sense. Most exam papers that are leaked aren't stolen from schools by thieves looking for drugs money etc - (they tend to go for our computers, balances, and even the payphone on one occasion).

That ALL the papers stolen so far over a range of subjects are all Edexcel is interesting, but I don't think the geographic location is particularly relevant, really. Edexcel seems to dominate the science/maths exams (altho I don't have any numbers for this), which is the ones that so far have definitely gone walkies.

Exams harder to prepare for even if you have the paper - such as arts subjects - seem to suffer less from actual leaks, being sold etc - in our school at least arts are usually OCR/AQA whereas science/maths are Edexcel, apart from Biology. Same at GCSE (but we did OCR maths then)

Rosie

ReputationRep:
    Crana im sorry but I dont think I agree. The fact that you can say people who leak exam papers dont contribute to the crime rate of a particular area is a contradictory sentence itself.

Leaking exam papers = a crime
    => leaking exam papers in an area => number of crimes increases in area
    => crime rate increases in that area.

I dont think it is safe to assume that (as you said) : if papers are leaked from a college then teachers or people in the college are responsible.

There is no evidence to support this. The more rational chain of thought would probably be:

- "We are criminals..we want money"
    - Then thought to themselves "hmm...look at these kids struggling at exams...wouldn't it be cool if we got hold of them somehow and sold them for a load of money to students?".
    - Then their research probably begins.
    - They realise that exam papers get delivered to colleges way ahead of time...since...what happens if it snows? cant rely on traffic being clean we all know that.
    - Knowing that exam papers are then delivered to colleges ahead of time, they group together some skilled thieves, then organise a robbery and take all the exam papers
    - Then voila...they have exam papers ahead of time and sell them to all the little kids. Afterall, according to Times Newspaper, Biology exams were on sale for 1000 pounds. Thats a hell of alot of money. The ratio of weight to price is more than gold !

Furthermore, no offense to kids haha (i am one myself), I dont think anybody would have the expertise, connections, way of thinking, and guts, to pull off such a large operation at such a young age. It seems more likely that a group of professionals who have nothing else better to do (like teach children all day) would be able to pull this off. Are kids REALLY that smart?

We all might have seen "The Perfect Score". A film made my MTV. But things aren't quite as easy as that in real life. I dont think a bunch of kids could get away with it like they did in the movie. It must take ALOT of planning.

Crana im sorry but I dont think I agree. The fact that you can say people who leak exam papers dont contribute to the crime rate of a particular area is a contradictory sentence itself.

Leaking exam papers = a crime
    => leaking exam papers in an area => number of crimes increases in area
    => crime rate increases in that area.

I dont think it is safe to assume that (as you said) : if papers are leaked from a college then teachers or people in the college are responsible.

There is no evidence to support this. The more rational chain of thought would probably be:

- "We are criminals..we want money"
    - Then thought to themselves "hmm...look at these kids struggling at exams...wouldn't it be cool if we got hold of them somehow and sold them for a load of money to students?".
    - Then their research probably begins.
    - They realise that exam papers get delivered to colleges way ahead of time...since...what happens if it snows? cant rely on traffic being clean we all know that.
    - Knowing that exam papers are then delivered to colleges ahead of time, they group together some skilled thieves, then organise a robbery and take all the exam papers
    - Then voila...they have exam papers ahead of time and sell them to all the little kids. Afterall, according to Times Newspaper, Biology exams were on sale for 1000 pounds. Thats a hell of alot of money. The ratio of weight to price is more than gold !

Furthermore, no offense to kids haha (i am one myself), I dont think anybody would have the expertise, connections, way of thinking, and guts, to pull off such a large operation at such a young age. It seems more likely that a group of professionals who have nothing else better to do (like teach children all day) would be able to pull this off. Are kids REALLY that smart?

We all might have seen "The Perfect Score". A film made my MTV. But things aren't quite as easy as that in real life. I dont think a bunch of kids could get away with it like they did in the movie. It must take ALOT of planning.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is what I said. The quote function is great isn't it? Shame i dont use it lol. I can see why your post count is so high

I wrote a reply to what you said, but UKL somehow deleted it and i cant be arsed to write it again right now but might tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Please type it again i want something to read hehe.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.