The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
the1withnoname2
Crana im sorry but I dont think I agree. The fact that you can say people who leak exam papers dont contribute to the crime rate of a particular area is a contradictory sentence itself.

Leaking exam papers = a crime
=> leaking exam papers in an area => number of crimes increases in area
=> crime rate increases in that area.

I dont think it is safe to assume that (as you said) : if papers are leaked from a college then teachers or people in the college are responsible.

There is no evidence to support this. The more rational chain of thought would probably be:

- "We are criminals..we want money"
- Then thought to themselves "hmm...look at these kids struggling at exams...wouldn't it be cool if we got hold of them somehow and sold them for a load of money to students?".
- Then their research probably begins.
- They realise that exam papers get delivered to colleges way ahead of time...since...what happens if it snows? cant rely on traffic being clean we all know that.
- Knowing that exam papers are then delivered to colleges ahead of time, they group together some skilled thieves, then organise a robbery and take all the exam papers
- Then voila...they have exam papers ahead of time and sell them to all the little kids. Afterall, according to Times Newspaper, Biology exams were on sale for 1000 pounds. Thats a hell of alot of money. The ratio of weight to price is more than gold !

Furthermore, no offense to kids haha (i am one myself), I dont think anybody would have the expertise, connections, way of thinking, and guts, to pull off such a large operation at such a young age. It seems more likely that a group of professionals who have nothing else better to do (like teach children all day) would be able to pull this off. Are kids REALLY that smart?

We all might have seen "The Perfect Score". A film made my MTV. But things aren't quite as easy as that in real life. I dont think a bunch of kids could get away with it like they did in the movie. It must take ALOT of planning.

It's not crime that's going to effect the numbers though.

Criminals are not rational and I can't imagine them going through that chain of logic. It's not like they're familiar with the exam system and the price that people put on good exam grades. It's just not their world.

Some students without a doubt would have the ability to pull off something like this. They are that smart, and conniving, and have the contacts.
"Criminals are not rational and I can't imagine them going through that chain of logic. It's not like they're familiar with the exam system and the price that people put on good exam grades. It's just not their world."

Wow...it amazes me that you can even say that. Just because you hear about murderers etc..doesn't mean that there aren't criminals who are capable of that. Its a wild assumption to make unless you know the minds of every criminal. You must have seen movies like The Italian Job, Catch Me If You Can (based on a true story), Goodfellas (based on a true story). There have even been robberies of museums in the UK in the last few years with paintings worth millions that have gone missing. Speedboats etc were used, and nobody knew anything until the next day. These are the minds of criminals. Dont you think they can pull off something like this too? Do you think all organised crime is done by people who have no idea what price people put on good exam grades? They are not familiar with the exam system? Why do they need to be? Its just common sense that they would send papers out early. I dont see how else they can do it without relying on traffic being clean..otherwise there might be delays...petrol running out etc.
the1withnoname2
Please type it again :biggrin: i want something to read hehe.

it managed to lose it again! but this time I did copy it first so here:

the1withnoname2
Please type it again :biggrin: i want something to read hehe.

In summary:
- you misquoted lots of the stuff i said, e.g. I never said stealing papers does not contribute to crime rates. I said (& meant) that imo, those responsible for paper leakages are unlikely to be those who cause most of the crime in the area (i.e. cause the high crime rates in a high crime area - one theft does not really add hugely to the overall crime rate - and I don't think most of the leakages come from the druggies, petty thiefs etc that cause most of the crime rates. i think the association between high crime rates in an area and paper leakage is......tenuous)

- i also did not say it is safe to assume teachers etc were responsible for stealing papers; I said "I think that most cases of leaks can probably be traced back to the teachers or other people involved with the school"

Notice the words "most" and "probably".

- i still find it hard to believe a crack team of thieves is roaming the colleges of the land hunting for exam papers. for a start, how do you reckon they find out where they are kept? unless they have someone who can tell them eg a teacher? they can't really hunt all round te school when the alarm's gone off etc - take our school - several buildings, it could be in any of them, I think they are actually kept in a safe somewhere - and when the caretaker who lives next door is woken by the alarm, he will call teh police even if the alarm system hasn't already done so.

I think the logistics of this, IN GENERAL, are less likely than a teacher being careless with the papers or snaffling them on purpose (nip & photocopy one, and apart from the sealed envlope thingy no one need know it ever went walkies)

However, I am not saying that NO paper leakages could EVER be caused by this crack team of thieves you postulate. In the press it seems like the recent ones were linked to a burglary at the college. However, I am sure a LOT of papers get leaked in a small way that we never hear about-a school's entire exam papers being stolen (your thieves may as well take them all, or at least a sample from every packet) is quite newsworthy, compared to say a teacher photocopying a paper on the sly and then replacing it.

Remember also that these crack thieves have to FIND people to sell the papers to - what do they do - walk up to random teenagers and say excuse me are you taking Edexcel this module or Aqa syllabus B this year? Or do these highly professional criminals just have loads of mates doing A-levels?

- your last bit about kids i dont really understand, i never said that child gangs were likely to be behind most leaked papers, now did I.
the1withnoname2
"Criminals are not rational and I can't imagine them going through that chain of logic. It's not like they're familiar with the exam system and the price that people put on good exam grades. It's just not their world."

Wow...it amazes me that you can even say that. Just because you hear about murderers etc..doesn't mean that there aren't criminals who are capable of that. Its a wild assumption to make unless you know the minds of every criminal. You must have seen movies like The Italian Job, Catch Me If You Can (based on a true story), Goodfellas (based on a true story). There have even been robberies of museums in the UK in the last few years with paintings worth millions that have gone missing. Speedboats etc were used, and nobody knew anything until the next day. These are the minds of criminals. Dont you think they can pull off something like this too? Do you think all organised crime is done by people who have no idea what price people put on good exam grades? They are not familiar with the exam system? Why do they need to be? Its just common sense that they would send papers out early. I dont see how else they can do it without relying on traffic being clean..otherwise there might be delays...petrol running out etc.

The link between papers being linked and the crime rate for an area is very tenuous though, which was my original point, because the vast majority of crime in an innercity area like where my school is, is car crime/theft/drugs/prostitution/violence related crimes. Most of it is not really bank robbery style grand heists.

I think fishpaste meant the people responsible for most high crime rates, not EVERY SINGLE LAST CRIMINAL IN THE WORLD. A lot of the crime round here is caused by drug addicts - they are just looking for something quickly nickable and sellable - I think he meant people like this, your TYPICAL criminal around the streets who do not usually have the ability to plan and carry out huge covert operations.

ps. I am not however an expert in all things criminal. i havent ever been in a police station. i am just going by what my area is like too, not everywhere.
Well, there is no way of us knowing to be honest. But im saying it is very possible, and if not, likely, since in this year's events it seemed to be a burglary of a college. The college reported this to the police way in advance of the exams apparently. If it was a teacher, why would they have done this. Would have defeated the purpose of them doing it in the first place, since it is safe to assume that Edexcel would change the papers (but I guess its not a safe assumption since the idiots at Edexcel didn't heh :frown: ).

Hence the reason I think it is more likely that a group of highly professional thieves did it.

Wow, I love debating, I never realised. Maybe one of these days I will become better at it. :tongue:
the1withnoname2
Well, there is no way of us knowing to be honest. But im saying it is very possible, and if not, likely, since in this year's events it seemed to be a burglary of a college. The college reported this to the police way in advance of the exams apparently. If it was a teacher, why would they have done this. Would have defeated the purpose of them doing it in the first place, since it is safe to assume that Edexcel would change the papers (but I guess its not a safe assumption since the idiots at Edexcel didn't heh :frown: ).

Hence the reason I think it is more likely that a group of highly professional thieves did it.

Wow, I love debating, I never realised. Maybe one of these days I will become better at it. :tongue:

Uh huh, like i said, it does look like this year's are burglary-related - however I don't think this is true for most paper leakages. For e.g. in 2001 when the p2 paper was leaked, i believe a teacher was imprisoned?

Nah, it's not really reasonable to assume the papers would be changed. For example, with p2, we only found out about the leak really because of UKL. - and even that was the night before - they wouldnt have changed it at that late notice. the only paper they have said they are changing of 6 leaked papers (i think) is Chemistry - and even that is not a completely new paper.

Besides, if everyone was so sure that if the leak would be discovered and the paper changed - they wouldnt have bought them :tongue:

Next year, instead of a summer job, I'm going to make fake "leaked papers" and sell them!

rosie
Hehe, you sexy hustler you :tongue:

Im surprised people haven't already done that. But then again, they probably have, we just dont know about it.
Reply 447
in response to what the1withnoname2 said a couple of days ago about me getting the police knocking at my door.......are u dumb!! i highly doubt they would go to that great lengths..they can't be arsed m8!And seriously, I wouldn't have to answer any of their questions cos i aint done anything wrong!
They wouldn't go to such lengths you say? How do you know? Do you know the minds of the policemen and the extent to which they are investigating? I dont think so.
Reply 449
well do u seriously think that they are going to interrogate me to the extent that i give the names of some of my closest friends to them.........?
Reply 450
i wish i knew the answers or edexcel 'd ve retake the exam...i messed up that exam big time:frown:
do i seriously think so? no
but it desn't matter what i think... you dont know for a fact
so you should shut up about it
furthermore, how do you know they aren't watching you right now as a result of what you said on this forum...watching who you speak to..listening to your phone calls, your text msgs. in order to find out who was selling them and trace it up the chain.

you dont know
but you obviously dont care.
but thats good
all we need is people to make stupid mistakes and we can catch these damn cheaters.

keep up the good work
whoever has screenshots of the questions please email them to for my exams officer
[email protected]
I am just worried that it'll be discovered that maybe there were leaks with other subjects. I have three subjects with Edexcel and two with OCR! I hope there aren't!
Reply 454
dont u dare call me stupid...i aint been rude to u!

and they can listen to ma phone calls and texts all they want cos they aint guna get anything from me...dream on m8
Reply 455
ria_1987
dont u dare call me stupid...i aint been rude to u!

and they can listen to ma phone calls and texts all they want cos they aint guna get anything from me...dream on m8

God, you really do have an attitude problem don't you. Chill out, and climb out your own arse.
lol.

1) i wasn't being rude i was pointing out a fact that these things i said could happen
2) if they did happen, that would have been a mistake on your part that could have been avoided. Hence, stupid mistake.
3) i think you should stop the idea that you are some kind of mafia boss just because your friends can get exam papers. given the extent of the leak given by reports from the bbc, and interviews of students from various schools, its not exactly hard it seems.
4) you are probably right that they will not come after you, since you are just a small tiny person in a big chain of command. they are probably more concerned with the source of the leak, and the culprits of the burglary itself

I was pointing out the fact that this could happen, and if you did want to evade police questioning you (understandable since otherwise you would be squealing on your close friends), the safest way is to be quiet.
XXXNICEGUYXXX
whoever has screenshots of the questions please email them to for my exams officer
[email protected]

why? all the information has already been given to the police and edexcel and probably countless other examinations officers who've been told by their students. it's already being investigated and has been for almost a week.

lou xxx
Reply 458
lou p
why? all the information has already been given to the police and edexcel and probably countless other examinations officers who've been told by their students. it's already being investigated and has been for almost a week.

lou xxx

ha "e-mail the screenshots to my gmail account, so I can pass them on to my exams officer".

Look's like someone just wants to see the post. :wink:
See the post to give to his exams officer yes. Why else would he want it? The exam is over its not exactly any use lol. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending