Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are we hoping to gain from Syrian peace talks Watch

ReputationRep:
    Would finally like to see something being done to restore peace to my beautiful motherland.
    How do you think the peace talks will pan out and what should we expect?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you hear? They collapsed yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Didn't you hear? They collapsed yesterday.
    I know but they will pick up again soon. Kind of like the Israeli Palestine peace talks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I know but they will pick up again soon. Kind of like the Israeli Palestine peace talks
    But they have never made peace...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    But they have never made peace...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sad times
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Sad times
    Damascus will be a ruinous heap
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I can't see peace talks going anywhere, unless it is the outright surrender of one side (likely the rebels). Even if peace talks led to a settlement how would it be enforced? Russia seems committed to the long term so far, this one is getting solved through violence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Syrian army are doing well with help of Russia and Iran.

I hope they take back control of the country. Don't believe the lies about Assad, it's the same with Gaddafi who was once a great friend to the West.

Bad things happen when you try and overthrow a leader by financing, arming and training terrorists who are labelled moderate rebels.

Of course there will be times where Syrian army has killed civilians and even raped people. It is the reality of war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SynagógueOfSatan)
    Syrian army are doing well with help of Russia and Iran.

I hope they take back control of the country. Don't believe the lies about Assad, it's the same with Gaddafi who was once a great friend to the West.

Bad things happen when you try and overthrow a leader by financing, arming and training terrorists who are labelled moderate rebels.

Of course there will be times where Syrian army has killed civilians and even raped people. It is the reality of war.
    Assad is a brutal dictator who has killed far more Syrians than ISIS ever has.

That said, in terms of realpolitik I hope he wins the war and then with pressure from Russia a transition of governance is made. There can be no peace in Syria whilst Assad remains in power.

SS

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. It's all for show. Russia considers anyone not with Assad / Kurds as 'terrorists' and whilst the UN intends for alleged peace talks, the Russians alongside various Shia militias are on a huge offensive.

ReputationRep:
    and most likely will fall over again. like the basic principle of living along side / under rule of jews , the idea of these sunnis muslims living under rule of shia muslims is unnacceptable and has roots in early islam itself going back over 1200 years. a few weeks of talks cannot roll back the problems that originate out of this much history unfortunatly - its ingrained in culture of those ppl now.

you can look at the majority of the world flow of migrants from war torn failed countries, many of whom ending up in the west/uk - yemeni, somali, eritran, syrian, iraqi, sudanese, palestinian, kurds etc etc - they all suffer from conflicts that echo issues of 1200 years of islamic conflicts of one type or another. we cannot solve those problems here in the west no matter what our governments claim they can.

ReputationRep:
    time

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Syria can be rebuilt and all the migrants can return. Yeah good luck with that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.