Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism is needed Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Or give men the same amount of time off for paternity leave as women get for maternity that partially solves this and then get rid of the stigma attached in society for fathers who decide not to work to look after children (they are judged a lot more harshly than a woman who does this
    I know not all feminists would agree with me but I strongly believe that getting those things for men and making it easier for them to have both a working and family life is an important part of feminist work so yeah I think you're right about that, I just also think there needs to be better support for both sexes with childcare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rational11)
    yeah nobody is making dinner. Get your dumbass back in there.
    You're clearly a troll.

Lauren hates your guts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezzaTheMez)
    While not the most important topic they could be spending their efforts on, having such pressures on the body image for all gender is still a bad thing, just there are more worrying things happening. I think it's something people campaign on because it's something they think they have a chance of changing.
    "Pressures"? The Sun sells a product with pictures of naked women, if you don't like it, don't buy it. If you think that men will stop liking women with big breasts because Page3 has been banned, you are completely delusional.
    And I think that women like Kim Kardashian are infinitely more damaging for women than Page3.

ReputationRep:
    I know not all feminists would agree with me but I strongly believe that getting those things for men and making it easier for them to have both a working and family life is an important part of feminist work so yeah I think you're right about that, I just also think there needs to be better support for both sexes with childcare.
    I agree with the need for better support.

Your first point shows the problem with saying feminism want gender equality, doing this would give a man the same rights as a woman for time off work when children are born = equality however some are against which is a problem the title of feminist is too broad at the moment as there are people against giving men the same rights as they get which does not = equality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    solving gender inequality via feminism(tm) is like performing medical surgery via poison.
    lmao i'm definitely stealing that one
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Thread has been moved to 'Society'. Please ensure you search for a relevant forum for your thread before deciding to post in Chat. Thanks :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    "Pressures"? The Sun sells a product with pictures of naked women, if you don't like it, don't buy it. If you think that men will stop liking women with big breasts because Page3 has been banned, you are completely delusional.
    And I think that women like Kim Kardashian are infinitely more damaging for women than Page3.
    Whether it comes from page 3, men, women or any source, there are pressures placed on every single one of us, whatever our gender, to reach towards some unattainable standard of 'beauty,' and if you think that's not true then you are completely delusional.
    I don't see how trying to lessen then sometimes overwhelming effect of that pressure a little is a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    "Up to date information on the gender pay gapOn November 19th 2015 the ONS released provisional results for the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings.These show that in the year to April 2015, average earnings for full-time employees increased by 1.8 per cent.The gender pay gap for median earnings of full-time employees decreased to 9.4 per cent, from 9.6 per cent in 2014. This is the lowest since the survey began in 1997, although the gap has changed relatively little over the last 4 years. A similar trend is seen when full-time and part-time employees are combined, although the gap is unchanged from 2014, at 19.2 per cent.
    • Men working full-time earned more than women (£567 per week in April 2015 compared with £471), with both seeing increases in median earnings compared with 2014 (1.5 per cent and 2.1 per cent respectively).
    • The gap between men’s and women’s earnings has remained relatively consistent from 1997 to 2015 at around £100, but this corresponds to a faster rate of increase for women than for men over this period (a 78 per cent increase compared with 59 per cent respectively), meaning that the gap has been closing in percentage terms.
    • When looking at the differences for full-time employees, the gap is relatively small up to and including those aged 30 to 39 (with the exception of the 16 to 17 age group). In the 22 to 29 age group, women are paid on average slightly more than men. From 40 upwards, the gap is much wider, with men being paid substantially more on average than women. The ONS states that this is likely to be connected with the fact that women who have children often take time out of the labour market, but this overlooks the fact that only women now in their twenties will have had access both to affordable, good quality childcare and to the possibility of being able to work flexibly in a well-paid job. Until very recently women and men have entered the labour market on very different terms, and this, as much as childbearing, contributes to the gender pay for older women.
    • Taking full-time and part-time employees together, for all age groups except 16 to 17, men are paid more on average than women. Also, for all age groups from 22 to 29 upwards, the gap is wider than for full-time employees alone. This indicates that, in these age groups, more women are working part-time in jobs that tend to be lower paid.
    • The gender pay gap for full-time employees in the private sector decreased from 17.6 per cent in 2014 to 17.2 per cent in 2015, the lowest since the series began in 1997 and continuing the long-term downward trend. However, the gender pay gap in the public sector increased for the second consecutive year from 11.0 per cent to 11.4 per cent. The ONS notes that “this has been relatively stable over the longer term, fluctuating around 10 per cent since 2003.”
    • At the top decile (the top 10 per cent of earners), the ONS report that gap for full-time employees has remained largely consistent, fluctuating around 20 per cent. In fact, the gap has narrowed, but ONS do not state by how much. For lower earners too (the bottom 10 per cent of earners) the gap has narrowed, to 6.5 per cent in April 2015, although it has changed little in recent years.
    • The gender pay gap also varies by occupation and ranges ranging from 4.3 per cent for sales and customer service, to 24.6 per cent for skilled trades occupations in April 2015.
    This year the ONS has also issued an Analysis of factors affecting earnings using Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings – 2015 . This contains some additional information on the gender pay gap."http://www.equalpayportal.co.uk/statistics/Can you explain how egalitarianism and feminism is different then because I don't really understand?
    I think you misunderstand why there is a wage gap. There is a gap because generally speaking men work more hours than women and work more unsocialable hours than women. As a result, generally speaking men do not get more money than women, they EARN more money than women. The common notion that a women working right next to her male colleague for the same company will get paid less for the same job is a myth.

Feminism is a movement based on getting women equal rights to men

egalitarianism is a movement based on having equal rights for everyone, regardless of race, ,sex disability economic status, social status etc.

ReputationRep:
    Whether it comes from page 3, men, women or any source, there are pressures placed on every single one of us, whatever our gender, to reach towards some unattainable standard of 'beauty,' and if you think that's not true then you are completely delusional.
    I don't see how trying to lessen then sometimes overwhelming effect of that pressure a little is a bad thing
    If you're not pretty or confident, that is your issue not The Sun newpaper's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Gender inequality is still a major issue, unfortunately

I'm all for women's empowerment, and I always have been! :yep:
    do you really think this beta s*** is gonna get you laid? don't bet on it, p****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    My rights did, got a problem?
    yeah, you forgot to bring his sandwich with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bolly_mad)
    do you really think this beta s*** is gonna get you laid? don't bet on it, p****.
    Zargabaath The Diplomat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiBabylonista)
    If you're not pretty or confident, that is your issue not The Sun newpaper's.
    Prettiness isn't real it's a social construct based on what what we are exposed to as that is labeled 'pretty' by the media such as The Sun ect. Obviously the media isn't responsible for all confidence issues but it clearly contributes to quite a lot so while it's not technically the media's issue it could be argued that they have a moral responsibility to try and help.

ReputationRep:
    While not the most important topic they could be spending their efforts on, having such pressures on the body image for all gender is still a bad thing, just there are more worrying things happening. I think it's something people campaign on because it's something they think they have a chance of changing.
    (Original post by Josb)

ironically it all goes back to the fact that most feminists nowadays are trying desperately to change what men find to be attractive. that's the core of it. they're trying to twist it such that fat, unhealthy women are the 'sexy' ones; whilst the attractive ones who've worked their ass of to own those assets and who then WILLINGLY volunteer to be taken photos of and then get paid for it (of their own volition); are then painted as the bad guys. all the whilst, finding and criticizing guys who don't live upto the ridiculously high standards that have been set of them. furthermore, they chase after guys that are 6'4+, toned, go gym everyday; e.t.c then complain when the guy doesn't treat them right because the guy's gotten addicted to the gym or some reason or the other.

these people don't have any functioning brain cell left to burn incessasantly like idiotic dumb-founded fools; who when compared to neanderthals, give humanity a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    Prettiness isn't real it's a social construct based on what what we are exposed to as that is labeled 'pretty' by the media such as The Sun ect. Obviously the media isn't responsible for all confidence issues but it clearly contributes to quite a lot so while it's not technically the media's issue it could be argued that they have a moral responsibility to try and help.
    The only two responsibilities The Sun newspaper has are to obey the law and to turn a profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    women have a lower retirement age,
    women get more parental leave time,
    women get higher medical and mental care spent on them,
    women get more domestic violence resources even though statistics show that domestic violence isn't a gendered issue,
    women go to jail 5% of the time that men do for the same crimes,
    women usually always get custody of children regardless of the circumstances,
    women can rape a man without the law recognising it,
    women can be on gender quotas but men can't be,
    women can legally force a man into child support payments regardless of a withdrawal of consent but men can't towards women,
    women can beat a man up but a man can barely even get the allowance of self-defence against a woman,
    women (girls) have the right to full genital integrity but boys don't,
    men outnumber women regarding suicides by a substantial degree and men are injured/die on the job to the same or an even worse extent.

dont talk rubbish.
    what rights do women not have in comparison? they don't have the right to show their boobs in public? oh how oppressed you women are compared to men. women don't have the right to go into a trench and shoot terrorists/enemy soldiers? oh christ, what a patriarchy!
    other than these two, which are insignificant, NAME ONE right that women don't have compared to men. ONE.
    you feminists really have no clue, do you? you don't even know what you want. if you want equality, then you'll get less rights (because you have more than men at the moment!)
    Firstly, I would like to begin with explaining to you what Feminism actually is. It is the belief in gender equality. It isn't saying that patriarchy oppresses just women, but recognising that both genders are oppressed. The patriarchy has negative effects on both sexes, however over the history those effects have been unfairly balanced, as women have had less rights than men, which isn't to say that men's rights do not matter. Most feminists want to end patriarchy for the benefit of both sexes.

Secondly, here is brief list of some statistics that show an ongoing oppression of women in the UK.

WORK

There is an average of 10% pay gap between men and women in full time work, increasing to 34.5% for part time work.

Approximately 70% of people in national minimum wage jobs are women.

54% of women employed part time have said to be employed below their potential.

Women make up only 17% of board directors of the FTSE 100 companies.

Up to 30,000 of women are sacked each year for being pregnant.

VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN

36% of people believe that woman should be held responsible for being sexually assaulted or raped if she was drunk.

26% of people believe that a woman should be held responsible for being sexually assaulted or raped if she was wearing revealing clothes in public.

1 in 5 people believe that it would be acceptable for a man to hit or slap his female partner for wearing revealing clothes in public.

Only 77% of young men agreed that having sex with someone who has said no is rape.

This is not to say that women have it by any way worse than men, as it is a discussion that can stem for days, but simply to show that there is still great inequality between the sexes that too affects women, as your ignorant comment failed to acknowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theDanIdentity)
    ironically it all goes back to the fact that most feminists nowadays are trying desperately to change what men find to be attractive. that's the core of it. they're trying to twist it such that fat, unhealthy women are the 'sexy' ones; whilst the attractive ones who've worked their ass of to own those assets and who then WILLINGLY volunteer to be taken photos of and then get paid for it (of their own volition); are then painted as the bad guys. all the whilst, finding and criticizing guys who don't live upto the ridiculously high standards that have been set of them. furthermore, they chase after guys that are 6'4+, toned, go gym everyday; e.t.c then complain when the guy doesn't treat them right because the guy's gotten addicted to the gym or some reason or the other.

these people don't have any functioning brain cell left to burn incessasantly like idiotic dumb-founded fools; who when compared to neanderthals, give humanity a bad name.
    So you're complaining about men being held to such a high beauty standard while simultaneously holding women to a high standard? Nope I sense no hypocrisy here at all...

ReputationRep:

(Original post by bolly_mad)
    yeah, you forgot to bring his sandwich with you.
    Wow someone's been hard done by a female

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARoxanne)
    Firstly, I would like to begin with explaining to you what Feminism actually is. It is the belief in gender equality. It isn't saying that patriarchy oppresses just women, but recognising that both genders are oppressed. The patriarchy has negative effects on both sexes, however over the history those effects have been unfairly balanced, as women have had less rights than men, which isn't to say that men's rights do not matter. Most feminists want to end patriarchy for the benefit of both sexes.

Secondly, here is brief list of some statistics that show an ongoing oppression of women in the UK.

WORK

There is an average of 10% pay gap between men and women in full time work, increasing to 34.5% for part time work.

Approximately 70% of people in national minimum wage jobs are women.

54% of women employed part time have said to be employed below their potential.

Women make up only 17% of board directors of the FTSE 100 companies.

Up to 30,000 of women are sacked each year for being pregnant.

VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN

36% of people believe that woman should be held responsible for being sexually assaulted or raped if she was drunk.

26% of people believe that a woman should be held responsible for being sexually assaulted or raped if she was wearing revealing clothes in public.

1 in 5 people believe that it would be acceptable for a man to hit or slap his female partner for wearing revealing clothes in public.

Only 77% of young men agreed that having sex with someone who has said no is rape.

This is not to say that women have it by any way worse than men, as it is a discussion that can stem for days, but simply to show that there is still great inequality between the sexes that too affects men, as your ignorant comment failed to acknowledge.
    sources, please (not saying you made them up, but if you're going to spout out statistics at least put a source(s))

Also....

...an ongoing oppression of women in the UK
    i think the victims of acid attacks in other countries could teach you a think or two about real oppression of women.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.